“Shame about the neighbours” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Tides South Beach

You added The Tides South Beach to your Saves list
The Tides South Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1220 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly King & Grove Tides)   |
Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #53 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Hampshire, UK
“Shame about the neighbours”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

We arrived tired from a long flight (diverted to Gander en route), and two hours at Miami airport to a superb welcome, whisked up to our room by our personal assistant, Francisco, to be personally checked in, and then a welcome cocktail of our choice delivered shortly after. We were impressed! The building is a wonderful art deco restoration, very impressive, especially the furnishings and decor in the lobby. Unfortunately, it all went a bit downhill from there. We didn't have any further personal assistance, despite the brochure stating that our personal assistant would be present throughout our stay.
As we stepped out to find something to eat, we were pretty surprised by the noise and congregation of people all over the street of the drag bar next door, the music from the hotel could not compete with their 'boom boom' music.
Day 2, we set off for a stroll along South Beach which didn't disappoint, the hotels lived up to all our expectations and photo opportunities abounded. As we came back to the Tides, we decided to stop for an iced tea, before heading off in the other direction. There was an apparent lack of attention, for such an exclusive hotel we would have expected to be acknowledged as guests, and we had to ask twice for the bill. In the end my husband spoke to the reception, asked them to charge to the room, and we walked off up the street.
Before dinner that evening we had cocktails outside the hotel to sit and people watch, but again the music from the hotel could only be heard in one ear while the bar next door was impossible to avoid.
We came back at 11pm that night, and thought we would have a nightcap in the hotel bar - it was shut...!
So we left the next morning with very mixed feelings. For the art deco feel and exactly why we picked it, the hotel was excellent, but if you are looking for service and a bit of luxury, probably not.

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea which is partly why we picked this hotel. Very quiet in the room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

My partner and I stayed at this property for two nights while I was in town for business.
First the pros: Wonderful staff! Alan, Maria, and Shirley couldn't have been nicer. They have complementary coffee, apples, and pastries in the lobby in the morning, which was a nice touch. The rooms are large and face the ocean. They are well appointed and feel adequately clean. Now the cons: a little run down. Our top sheet had holes in it, and a blood stain (laundered, not fresh, and not large. Still, gross). Housekeeping didn't make up our room until 5PM, even though we had our "service" tag on the door since 10AM. We wanted to shower before dinner, but had to wait. Then, they didn't replenish our shampoo, which I didn't realize until I was in the shower with an empty bottle. And they charge extra for wi-fi, which at this price point is nickle and diming.
But for me the biggest strike against this hotel, and why I wouldn't stay here again is either a pro or con, depending on who you are and what you like. The hotel is located between a restaurant/club and another restaurant. They play loud dueling music until 11PM, at which time a local ordinance requires them to turn down the volume. If you are trying to sleep, the music is still pretty loud until about 1AM. And the street noise continues even after this. If you are out at dinner or the bars until then, no problem. But if you have to be up early for a meeting, or if you have kids, or if you are not a heavy sleeper, you may want to look elsewhere.
Again, management was extremely responsive to our complaints and did everything in their power to make our stay a pleasant one. Maria even brought up earplugs for us at one point. The outstanding service turned a negative into a positive.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

I have nothing negative to say about my stay at The Tides - only that I wish it could have been longer! From the moment I walked in the door (after fleeing another hotel that was definitely NOT as advertized!) the staff at The Tides could not have been more helpful and courteous, with each one addressing me personally by name and assisting me in every way possible. This attention to detail and personal service, coupled with the hotel's great location and beautiful, spacious rooms, made it the most pleasant hotel experience I've ever had. It's not cheap - but you certainly get your money's worth. I will definitely be returning to The Tides.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

My wife and I stayed at The Tides for our first trip away without the kidos and it was AMAZING! The location was perfect and the view was beautiful! The staff took care of our every need from where to get a slice of pizza to VIP passes to the hottest clubs. Our room was super comfortable from the bed to robes hanging in the closet (espresso machine in room was super tasty). Hands down one of the nicest rooms I had stayed in in a while!

Elliott S.

• Stayed October 2011
detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I can't believe it took me so long to write about this hotel. I stayed at this hotel for 3 days of my honeymoon, and it was, and still is, the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at. For those of you that have been to Miami/South Beach area-you should be familiar with the rooms and type of service that is common. Typically, the boutique hotels have older outdated rooms that are very expensive due to their location. The Tides is on Ocean and 12, right in the middle of all the South Beach action. You really cannot get a better location. The rooms are out of this world. When I told the reception it was our honeymoon, we received 2 free martinis (best martini I have ever had to this day) and chocolate covered strawberries. We also received a free martini at the pool. The service is phenomenal and the room is out of this world. I would highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Hilversum, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Overall we had a wonderful 6 night stay at The Tides hotel in September 2011.
The attention for details were great and the staff was always very kind with service and helping us with even small requests.

The 2 small things why this stay wasn't perfect was the very loud music in the weekends that we could here clearly in our room (our room was 2nd floor) and the fact that we one day wanted to have 2 moquitos , we saw the special price (6 USD ) but ended up paying 14 per drink. Sure this is to get people off from the streets to have a drink, but we dint pay happy our prices if staying at the hotel?

Other then these small inconveniences like this the entire hotel staff is very kind and helpful and we did have a very nice stay at the Tides hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on higher floors as the music is very loud in the weekends and if you want to sleep be...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

We stayed at the tides for the first part of a hen holiday in june 2011, which was the luxury, chilled out part, so don't worry its not full of crazy party girls on hen holidays, the cost of the accommodation generally keeps a good standard of guests. However it is hard to avoid the loud music from the neighbouring restaurants but this didn't bother us at all!

Service: great, great great personal service. The hotel is a fairly small all suite hotel and the staff get to know you and no is never an answer. Upon arrival we had welcome drinks and chocolates and a tour of the facilities. The staff were very friendly and helpful at all times. They even arranged for us to visit their sister hotel in central miami which has amazing spa facilities and we were able to use some of their complimentary facilities. One night it was raining so we couldn't leave for our night out, while we were waiting for the rain to stop one of the staff very kindly brought us over complimentary drinks and remained on rain watch, as soon as it stopped, a cab was waiting and we were assisted to cab. Although this sounds like a small thing i have been to hotels that couldn't care less what you were doing in the lobby or if you hair got messed up in the rain, hence i appreciated the care and attention we received at the tides

2. accommodation: wow! I have been to many '5*' luxury hotels, but this is still on the top of my list! we stayed in their entry level suite which i believe is called the ocean suite. I cant even imagine how nice the higher level suites must be, as this was lovely! The room was very spacious it had a walk in wardrobe area, a nice clean well maintained and stocked bathroom( although no tv's), ocean view, 2 huge mirrors, a flat screen tv with a dvd player, i pod doc, funky/african type decor. it really was very nice- I cant fault it.

3. facilities: Like most hotels in miami the pool isn't very large, but it wasn't over crowded as its a smaller hotel, infact we had it to our selves on occcasion. I don't remb there being any poolside parties or music, which i would have liked but is good for people that want to just chill out in peace! You will find that with many 5* miami hotels there's usually a price for everything which can be a bit annoying if you 've paid quiet a lot to start with. BUT the tides offers quiet a few goodwill gestures which makes for a happier stay such a basic 'breakfast on the go' and complimentary beach towel/sunlounger/umbrella. The restaurant is very well decorated, food is nice and the outside seating is very pleasant especially in the evenings.

Location: its right on the beach front, and surrounded by lots of restaurants/bars and good for exploring the south beach area by foot, everything very close by!

Beach: it is one of the only hotels in miami that offers complimentary use of sun loungers, umbrellas's and towels on the beach. Although I don't believe its a private beach, the hotel provides this facility on a section closest to it. As for the quality of the beach its not great but that's not the hotels fault.

Boohoo: only one ..i pre booked on line an early bird saver rate, which means you pay less but you pay upfront and is non refundable. However my fault i didn't check that this had been correctly processed, which meant when i arrived there was anunexpected out standing bill and one higher then what i'd booked, which nothing could be done about. I guess I should've checked.

Over all this place is the total package: location, service and accommodation! Its great for all kinds of travellers and you definitely get what you pay for- luxury :)! It desrves it No 1 trip advisor rating!

( I later moved to the monderian for part 2 of my hen holiday there will be a review for comparison)

Room Tip: If your on a budget you wont be disappointed with the ocean room!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Tides South Beach? Share your experiences!