“Wonderful Stay @ the Kent!” 4 of 5 stars

Kent Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1131 Collins Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #125 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Buffalo, New York
“Wonderful Stay @ the Kent!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

My boyfriend and I subsequently ended up staying at The Kent Hotel, after an awful stay at their sister hotel, ‘Colony Hotel’, last February (see my review for Colony). We had such an unpleasant stay, they offered us to come back and stay with their friends and family discount. I loathed the Colony so much that I said I wouldn’t go back, even with the discount. That’s when they informed us about their sister hotel, The Kent. We, on whim, decided to book a three night stay, at the beginning of this month.

We went in blind eyed, and crossed our fingers that it would look nothing like the Colony Hotel. When we arrived on Saturday, 2/8, we were very pleasantly surprised. Located on Collins at 11th, it’s just a block from the beach. In my opinion, this is better than staying on Ocean and getting hassled by the hostesses outside all of the hotel restaurants, that try to shove a menu in your face every time you stroll by. We were greeted by a very friendly, and funny, man. He finished checking in the couple ahead of us and got us settled within minutes.

Our room was AWESOME! It was on the second floor in the front left corner, overlooking the bar & patio restaurant below, and Collins Ave. The room was the perfect size. It wasn’t cramped or tight, like the Colony. We had a huge, very comfortable, king size bed (I now need one this large at home). The windows stretched across the entire front of our room overlooking Collins, and then some continued on the side. The large closet when you walked in was perfect for getting your suitcases put away and everything hung up, without cluttering the rest of the room. The bathroom was very clean, and evidently newly remodeled. The tile, fixtures, and shower all looked brand new. I am very picky when staying at hotels and showering anywhere but my own house, but I felt very comfortable here, due to the cleanliness.

For people who complain about noise, this wouldn’t be a good location for you. The downstairs patio bar had music bumpin until like, 2AM. We didn’t mind at all and it didn’t bother us. We are in South Beach, for god sake. If you are looking for rest and relaxation, find another city! We actually went back to our room one day after the beach, and napped from about 7-11pm, before going out, and slept right through the noise. In the bathroom it was a little louder, but once again didn’t bother us at all. It actually motivated me to get up from my nap and get ready to go out, ha.

We had a wonderful and enjoyable stay at the Kent. All of the members of the staff that we encountered were friendly and accommodating. I would absolutely stay here again and/or recommend it to anyone traveling to South Beach.

Room Tip: Front left corner, great views of Collins & The patio bar below
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

596 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Elma, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Found the hotel right away on Collins... however, didn't have a clue on where to park. The entire city (it seems) is torn up with construction. Hubby dropped me off and kept driving around the block so I could go in to see where we were to park. Valet parking is available (about $20) but the car is not easily accessible as the parking lot is 10 blocks away (if you need the car, give about 25 minutes' notice to the desk clerk). Very friendly and helpful desk clerk. Other staff very friendly as well. Hotel restaurant was OK. Bartender was so cute and friendly. Chicken breast sandwich was very good... chicken wings not so much (but I'm from Buffalo so we pretty much are experts on chicken wings). Room was dark. Couldn't open the blinds as it overlooked the restaurant/bar and people could see in the room. A few odd things -- no television guide, no tissues/Kleenex in room, no coffee maker, bed and pillows very hard. Very old air conditioner which was incredibly loud and kicked on and off all night. Location was very good for walking to beach and area shops and restaurants.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Small hotel not great for 4 people in a room nowhere to put clothes had to live out suitcase I guess Art Deco means no storage!

Small beds so make sure your really skinny if sharing a bed!

location on other hand couldn't be better 1 block from beach and bars clubs and food all around.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
doncaster
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We recently stayed here for 3 nights following a cruise to the Bahamas. After looking around for a room that would sleep my family of 4, I settled on booking the Kent - only purely due to the competitive price. I was a little worried at what the hotel would be like after reading the reviews, but we found check in easy and hassle free. We were advised that the rooms were not guaranteed until the afternoon - however the hotel held our belongings for us so we could go out and explore and happened to call back into the hotel at 12 to get something from one of our cases and the room was ready for us!
The gent at the reception desk was very cheerful, knowledgeable and provided us with a map and information on the local area.

We arrived on a Friday night - and in hindsight with two children (8 and 6) it really wasn't an appropriate hotel. The bar next door to the hotel was very very noisy and went on until 3am. We had 2 very tired and miserable children the next day! If it wasn't the noise from the music of the bar and the noise of crowds of people, it was the noise from the airconditioning machine kicking in. The following morning we voiced our concerns to the reception desk and they were very helpful and advised we could change our room as soon as one was available later on that morning. We wasn't able to do this as we had an excursion booked to the everglades, so we resided we would stay in our room for that night and would change it for the last night. We braced ourself for another noisy night, and we were not affected by any noise or partying people or music! We didn't change rooms after this, and were undisturbed on the last night too.

We found the hotel very clean and tidy. The rooms are a little dated - but they were in keeping with the style of the hotel. Was I disappointed? No, as I had expected worse to be honest.
This hotel was in a fantastic location, just one block away from Ocean drive and just a 2 minute walk to the beach. I don't know if the hotel was situated in a gay area, or if there was some kind of event on - but there was quite a few same sex couples - openly declaring their love for each other on the beach. That was quite awkward them doing so with children around and to answer questions on why two men were kissing and cuddling on the beach!

I would highly recommend the little cuban cafe on the corner opposite the hotel for a great breakfast!!

Overall, for what our room cost at this hotel - I would say that it was very overpriced - but then again so are all hotels in SoBe !!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Huber Heights, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

My wife and I had to get away from the frozen wasteland that is Ohio this time of year, so we went to Florida for a week. The Kent Hotel was chosen, because we could bring our Standard Poodle. The first impression was a disappointment. They said they had Valet parking, so it was a bit of a surprise that they had no Bellhops. My wife packed a good percentage of her wardrobe, so it was fun lugging everything in. Then we went up an elevator that was an antique. It banged and scraped all the way up to the second floor. When my wife saw the hallway, she started to cry. It'd been a long trip, and she could only imagine what the suite looked like. But the tears were wasted, because the room was very nice. Since we had our dog, Star, along, the hardwood floor was appreciated. (Although I don't know when it was swept last!)
It's a funky, old, Art Deco style hotel that's a short block off Ocean Blvd and the beach. We slept well the first night, but were awakened very early by a whistling broken water pipe valve from the next room. And were awakened early again by noisy people upstairs. Very annoying.
Don't eat at the hotel restaurant. The food seemed right out of the Frozen Food section of the grocery store, and the drinks were small and almost devoid of spirits. But it was a lively place later in the week. You could smell the pot smoke a mile away.
But we did have fun. The closeness to Ocean Blvd was very nice. If you want dinner and a drink, a few short steps makes all the difference. We loved the Mia Bella Roma.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Erlanger, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed there on 1/18/14 with some friends, before a cruise. Had never really done South Beach. THIS IS THE PLACE. Right at ground zero, everything within a block or two. Can't beat it for the price. Older building but super cool South Beach renovation, I'd give em 4 stars instead of 3. Great open air tiki type bar/restaurant adjoining. I'm 100% real from Cincinnati.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, you might just get hooked up with a suite. We did!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I wish I could say something good about this place, but I cant. There was a guy outside the hotel that asked to take my luggage, but I declined because he didn't have on a uniform-so I'm unsure if he was trying to steal my luggage or if he actually worked there. I didn't bother to even pull back the covers so I just slept on top of the covers. The hotel must have a really good photographer because it looks nicer online than in person. We were supposed to stay 3 nights, but only stayed 1 and went to the Cardoza. I left my jacket here trying to check out in a hurry. So I went back to the room to find it. To my shocking surprise, room service had already stripped the bed and there were BED BUGS all over the sheets!!! Just pay a few extra dollars and find somewhere sanitary.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Kent Hotel? Share your experiences!