“DO NOT STAY HERE” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #140 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Balneario Camboriu, SC, Brazil
“DO NOT STAY HERE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

One of the worst hotels I've ever been in the US! It's dirty and the reception is horrible... they don't smile, they don't help you, they don't want to talk to you! I would stay three nights, but I left after the first one... The bed isn't good, it seems they haven't changed the linen, the air-contioned didn't work well, it's a noise place... well, definitely it's not a place to rest! If you don't mind with these things, the location is very nice - the only positive point!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
zero11382, General Manager at Kent Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest, let me apologize for your experience, it is fairly odd for us to get bad marks on staff and service, you can read for yourself that we have a high amount of comments praising staff for how attentive they are and how helpful they can be, even when guests have negative things to say about the building in general we typically get high marks for friendliness, I will use your review as training material for our employees so that we can make sure similar complaints are not created in the future, once again please accept my sincerest apologies.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We decided to stay here for a night after completing a Caribbean cruise and the rest of the family travelling with us had never visited South Beach. As there was a Food and Wine festival happening that week end prices were raised at other Hotels or rooms fully booked. We decided to give the Kent a go on advice from travel agent. There were 7 of us travelling including our 15 month old son. We arrived at the hotel at around 10.30am after a shuttle ride from Fort Lauderdale and been up since 5am that morning understand that check in to the majority of hotels are not until the afternoon. I went up to the counter to advise that we were here and could we store our luggage somewhere and use the restrooms. The staff member seemed very pleasant and advised us of things we could do for the morning till check in. Politely I asked what the chances were of been able to check into one of the rooms early (which luckily enough we could at all other stays during our 4.5 week holiday) and store all our luggage, freshen up and change my son who got car sickness on the drive down. The staff member advised this was not at all possible as no rooms would be ready till the afternoon, to which I said that is fine I understand. I walked over to hand something to my wife then returned to the counter to ask directions. A couple had arrived at the counter at the same time to which I let go ahead. The couple advised they were just arriving and wanting to check in. To my disbelief the staff member made a call to enquire and then certainly sir we can get a room available for you. After the couple had gone up to their room and I asked the staff member I though no rooms were available? He seemed quite agitated that I had witnessed this and then questioned him and came up with some lame excuse. Next to the rooms – at first appearance they look quite reasonable. The floors however are floorboards (to which you can hear everyone above or beside you at every hour of night and morning!) within 2 minutes of my son walking on the floor his feet were filthy! I everything in the room seemed to have had the quickest of wipes. The air conditioner sounds like it is about to explode off the wall. The beds were not overly comfortable and combined with the sounds of people yelling in the corridors at all hours of the morning and a elevator (which needs to be seen and heard to explain) we got a total of 1hr sleep before a 8am flight from Miami! Would I stay here again? No! There are plenty of other affordable places in South Beach that offer much more.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, I'm sorry for the experience you encountered - I was hoping from the title of your review that we would receive and average score (3 star perhaps?) - I cannot be certain what happened during check-in, but it is possible that the couple whom was given a room before you could have had a category of room which they paid for (a Suite for example) which we had available and could not offer to you...I would be happy to speak to you in detail to get a little more information regarding your stay, please feel free to email me at sales@thekenthotel.com - let me apologize for the elevator, I know exactly what you speak of and I would like to inform you that it has been fixed, there was a faulty door operator which made the elevator door slam much too hard and was a noise issue for any room nearby, please accept our sincerest apologies.
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Very good value for money. I find hotels very expensive in South Beach, this was one of the cheaper ones I could find, travelling by myself. The room was very big and looked totally okay, the bed was comfortable and the cleaning was good. Like most hotels in the area kind of noisy, bring ear plugs. Not much to say really... Great location, close to everything.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
zero11382, General Manager at Kent Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you Daniel for the positive review, its good to know that the value we present our clients is above and beyond what you typically find in South Beach!!
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Just back from a lovely stay at The Kent. We've stayed there many times over the past 7 years. The location is excellent -- Ocean Drive and the beach are around the corner, great shopping on Washington and nearby Lincoln Road, loads of good restaurants. We've stayed on Ocean Drive before too -- it's nice but loud. The Kent is just enough away from the mayhem and crowds. It's a cute little deco hotel with attractive, comfortable and, most importantly, clean rooms. The front desk and housekeeping staff are super friendly and helpful. And, it's pet friendly (with no additional fee). The valet parking is super reasonable too (I believe $20/day in and out).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Cara thank you for the great review!! It really brightens my day to read comments like yours, nothing is more fulfilling to us than to read how friendly and helpful our staff is viewed in guests eyes!
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed two nights at the Kent hotel for business and was pleasantly surprised with the place.

Location is obviously pretty cool, on Collins and so close to plenty of shops, bars and restaurants. There's two outside parking lots just next to the hotel, and a garage just two blocks away.
The staff was nice and polite, and check-in pretty efficient.
My room was on the back side of the hotel, i.e not facing Collins Avenue, so it was pretty quiet.
The room itself is pretty spacious and clean, and the bed was rather comfortable. Room was equipped with flat-screen TV. Internet is free and worked very well.
The A/C unit is a bit noisy, but didn't prevent me from sleeping.

The hotel's restaurant has closed so you can't get breakfast, which is a shame (there's still plenty of places around for breakfast), some parts of the hotel do look a bit tired, and the elevator is a bit scary, but apart from that I found the Kent to be a very decent place, and would likely be back again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest, thank you for the great review - to soothe some of your concerns I want to point out that the elevator will be getting a nice face lift this summer, it is a small space and quite old (from the 60's!!) so we will do all we can to make it much more inviting - Also great news, there is a new restaurant operator that just signed a lease with the property, so by this time in mid May we should have an open and functioning restaurant providing breakfast, lunch and dinner for all our clients!!
Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Just got back from spending a night in the Kent Hotel. Hotel was ok, clean rooms & very good location to beach & shops. The only problem we found was the smell in there, everything in the hotel is lime green so I think they spray lime air freshener in the aircon machines & the smell is not good!
We also had a problem with the valet parking. It was 20$ a night & when we got our car back the next morning, it was all dirty & muddy on the passenger side, most of our chewing gum had been eaten & we had 2 bars less of petrol than when we left it the day before. If you go to the corner of where the hotel is there are 2 places to park your car & it's only 15$ a day, I recommend leaving it there!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest thank you for the review, I would assume to say that the smell you encountered came from the air freshener machines we have in the lobby and hallways, it is a citrus orange smell which can be quite strong sometimes, I apologize if you did not like it, most of our guests enjoy it quite a bit...with regards to Valet, it would have been good to speak to staff about this problem, even though the company we contract is a 3rd party they are quite open to providing excellent customer satisfaction and would have done so in your regard, we feel the $20.00 per night is one of the better options in South Beach as parking at other hotels range from anywhere between $20 to $35 a night!
Humlebaek, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is really small, used and fallen apart. All the walls is covered with many many layers of paint. The elevator is so old with twindoors that closes really fast with a bang. Its a bit scary to ride in. Aircon is the under the window models you see on movies from the eighties. And really noisy. The beds are queensize. Our room was so small that we had to leve our stuff in the subchases and lift it up on the beds every time we neded somthing. The parking costs $20 per day but you have to wait over 20 minutes for the car to come. Once we waited 40 minutes. Well old can be charming and cosy but this is just a worn out hotel.
Compared to the prices it is really not worth it. We lived on a five star super hotel in Miami for less then this. But the location is perfect if you are looking for Ocean drive nightlife.

Room Tip: Don't expect to much.