“Location,Location,Location...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #139 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Location,Location,Location...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We wanted to stay in South Beach after a cruise so we booked one night here at the Kent. I called and talked to Francois directly to book. He was awesome and very knowledgeable about the area. Prices were great compared to others on Collins and our room was clean. We couldn't get in to our room until 4 so they upgraded us to a suite. The Orchid room. There is street noise but you are in South Beach what do you expect? Thanks Francois I will be back, and I am still working on a good Viking name for you. Erik

Room Tip: Any of the suites are great. They have jacuzzis and huge bathrooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
zero11382, General Manager at Kent Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you Erik for the wonderful review, glad to know you found Francois to be very hospitable and enjoyed your stay, please come back and stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This place is conveniently located on Collins Avenue and 11th Street. Is walking distance from everything, but needs some serious work. The rates were somehow ok, 150 dollars a night, but nothing included with it... No even water...The Housekeeping services were very cordial and friendly but the front desk was not...In fact when checking in, the guy gave a whole speech to a french couple about what to do and where to go and when it came to us.. Nothing... and He barely said welcome...? Maybe is not gay friendly? There is weird smell when you get inside...We stayed two nights and not sure we will return.. They allow smoking in some rooms....They can seriously improve...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jorge&Christian, thank you for the review - not sure why the Front Desk did not greet you in the same manner as the couple before you but we are a people friendly hotel regardless of your sex, race, gender etc. etc. - we have an orange scented air purifier in the lobby maybe that was the weird smell? Please contact me at sales@thekenthotel.com or 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001, I would like to speak to you and get your thoughts and recommendations what you would like to see improvement on
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I joined a cruise at the last minute, and finding affordable flights was tricky -- I realized it would be cheaper to stay in Miami for one day after the cruise and fly back the next morning. I chose to spend the day in South Beach (I've been there several times before) and simply needed a clean hotel for one night. The Kent had an excellent price, and I booked it directly through their website.

They had one room available at noon (four hours before the official check-in time), but the front desk clerk warned me that it was on the 2nd floor facing the main street. Instead of waiting for another room to open up, I decided to take it -- since I already live in a city, I'm very used to traffic noise. The room was a very nice size and clean; but it is clear that you are in an older, art deco-era building -- concrete walls, older windows, etc. But those attributes are typical of all the boutique hotels along Collins Avenue.

What was very apparent to me was the noise -- not from the street traffic, but from inside the hotel. Besides the bed, there is nothing in the room that would absorb sound -- no carpet or rug, no upholstered furniture, no drapes, etc. (The windows have shades.) All sound is echoed and amplified, and it travels down the hall from other rooms. I could clearly hear the television in the room next door, and a dog barking somewhere down the hall. Plus the voices of other guests when they were in the hallway. Other reviewers used the term "dorm," and I think that's a good description of the noise level in the hotel.

The bathroom was completely tiled in a modern style, but strangely it lacked any countertops or shelves for toiletries, including in the shower. Nor were there any hooks. Between the bathroom and the stark room, it felt like the owner ran out of money before (s)he could finish installing the decor.

But to the positives... everything in the room worked and the bed was comfortable. The front desk also assisted me with reserving a car to take me to the airport early the next morning. And despite the ambient noise in the hotel, I popped a sleeping pill and slept soundly through the night.

In a future situation, I would certainly stay here again if I needed an affordable hotel for a night or two, but if I were looking for more resort amenities, I would consider the more expensive properties instead.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest, thank you for the review, these buildings in South Beach (primarily the old Art Deco architecture) do have thin walls and noise can be an issue if you have noisy guests or a very busy weekend - we are addressing the "space" for toiletries this week and will no longer be an issue in the near future.
Westport
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

In September, 2012, I reserved a Saturday night in January, 2013. Today, 6 days before the reserved day, I received a surprise cancellation notice. My guess is that another party wanted the full weekend and I got bumped off. This is bad business. I called them for an explanation and they told me my card was declined for payment. I know I have 2 thousand available and the expiration date is 12/14. The day after they canceled, they no long have records of my credit card information. I looked up "Check Rates" on their web site immediately after the cancellation, and they are booked solid for the whole weekend. Something fishy going on by the beach. Be aware, you may get canceled or bumped off with short notice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Al, I remember your reservation and I would like to clear something up - firstly we do not practice bad business, I have worked in several hotels throughout my life and I run this property with a consumer first oriented mentality, all of our policies are geared to benefit the consumer - your reservation was provided to the property via Venere.com, when the reservation was received the credit card which was provided declined, in spite of this the reservation was held anyways - the week prior to any arrival if a reservation is not confirmed we attempt once again to run the credit card to see if the first night deposit can be obtained (hotel policy requires that the first night be pre-paid in order to guarantee any reservation) - Unfortunately through Venere.com the credit card information is only viewable 72 hours after the booking has been made, this is the reason the cancellation was processed, to actually get you to call the hotel and confirm the booking - If I am not mistaken you had needed a room with 2 beds and when you contacted us we had no more, but we did have other rooms - your reservation was not canceled to make space for someone else, we do not do that - but I can suggest that in the future should you make a booking which requires a partial payment to a hotel, and you do not see that payment posted on your credit card a few days later you might want to inquire with the property why that is the case, as it seems doing that would have solved this issue long before you were due to arrive or before we canceled the booking. I'm sorry that this occurred and that it left it a bad representation of our establishment, please feel free to contact me at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001 in order for me to have the chance to make it up to you.
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Hate to write negatively, but this hotel is terrible. Staff are friendly enough and the rooms are ok, but if your after a good night sleep this is not the hotel for you. We had a guy staying in a room next door who had music on until 3am as well as filling our room with the smell of weed all night. I tried ringing reception to complain 3 times but no one answered. Then at 5am in the morning deliveries started getting made across the street which was loud as which would have woken any one up. Then the cleaners were singing in the hall ways at 630am which was just as loud. Too top it all off the hot water ran out after one shower! Would definitley not stay here again!

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 107 as it is next to an alley way which has early morning deliveries!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dani, I'm saddened to read your review, it seems some of your noise issues could have been taken care of by either moving you to a different section of the hotel, or if staff would have spoken to the guest and urged them to put the music down - as you are aware we cannot control the noise coming from outside which pertains to deliveries in neighboring businesses, I'm shocked that these deliveries were made at 5 A.M. though, also I believe that the "cleaners" singing in the hallways at 6:30 A.M. must have been a guest because our housekeeping staff is not scheduled to start work until 9 A.M., I'm sorry for the horrible experience you encountered while staying at our property, please feel free to reach out to me at sales@thekenthotel.com so that I can have the opportunity to address your concerns.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

What a find! Me and my girlfriend took a quick birthday vacation and arrived in Miami without any plans or where to stay. We stopped into almost every hotel in the area, and no one was nearly as nice and accommodating at the employees were at The Kent. The rooms were clean and bright with everything you would need to have a great stay. This was the second time we have stayed in this hotel, the first expire acne was no different. Smiling faces and very helpful staff suggested where we should eat and explore. Overall we had two excellent stays and would stay there every time we visit beautiful Miami.
Also, At the front desk, Francois (hope spelling is correct) was such an amazing help to our lack of knowledge of the area and was there at our every call with an answer. He instantly became a trusted friend and advisor.
Love this place. Great service, reasonable price, and comfortable rooms.

Room Tip: Your not going to get an ocean view, sorry. But who needs one! Get out there and have fun!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, thank you for the wonderful review, I'm thrilled to read reviews where staff is mentioned often as one of the main reasons you guests enjoyed themselves! Please come back and visit us soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Came down to South Beach, me and 4 other girls... was cheap but so clean! I was shocked at the amount we paid for the cleanliness and nice staff. We werent there much so we did not care about the pool etc in the hotel... you shouldnt either Miami is too much fun to stay in!

The girl at the front desk was sooo nice- i kept asking for scissors and she was so kind... always new towels etc...

Id stay again... Location is perfect!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Kristen thank you for the wonderful review, I'm happy you enjoyed your stay and that you found staff to be so welcoming!

Been to Kent Hotel? Share your experiences!