“questionable surprise cacellation by hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Kent Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1131 Collins Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #123 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Westport
“questionable surprise cacellation by hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

In September, 2012, I reserved a Saturday night in January, 2013. Today, 6 days before the reserved day, I received a surprise cancellation notice. My guess is that another party wanted the full weekend and I got bumped off. This is bad business. I called them for an explanation and they told me my card was declined for payment. I know I have 2 thousand available and the expiration date is 12/14. The day after they canceled, they no long have records of my credit card information. I looked up "Check Rates" on their web site immediately after the cancellation, and they are booked solid for the whole weekend. Something fishy going on by the beach. Be aware, you may get canceled or bumped off with short notice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
zero11382, General Manager at Kent Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Al, I remember your reservation and I would like to clear something up - firstly we do not practice bad business, I have worked in several hotels throughout my life and I run this property with a consumer first oriented mentality, all of our policies are geared to benefit the consumer - your reservation was provided to the property via Venere.com, when the reservation was received the credit card which was provided declined, in spite of this the reservation was held anyways - the week prior to any arrival if a reservation is not confirmed we attempt once again to run the credit card to see if the first night deposit can be obtained (hotel policy requires that the first night be pre-paid in order to guarantee any reservation) - Unfortunately through Venere.com the credit card information is only viewable 72 hours after the booking has been made, this is the reason the cancellation was processed, to actually get you to call the hotel and confirm the booking - If I am not mistaken you had needed a room with 2 beds and when you contacted us we had no more, but we did have other rooms - your reservation was not canceled to make space for someone else, we do not do that - but I can suggest that in the future should you make a booking which requires a partial payment to a hotel, and you do not see that payment posted on your credit card a few days later you might want to inquire with the property why that is the case, as it seems doing that would have solved this issue long before you were due to arrive or before we canceled the booking. I'm sorry that this occurred and that it left it a bad representation of our establishment, please feel free to contact me at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001 in order for me to have the chance to make it up to you.

637 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Hate to write negatively, but this hotel is terrible. Staff are friendly enough and the rooms are ok, but if your after a good night sleep this is not the hotel for you. We had a guy staying in a room next door who had music on until 3am as well as filling our room with the smell of weed all night. I tried ringing reception to complain 3 times but no one answered. Then at 5am in the morning deliveries started getting made across the street which was loud as which would have woken any one up. Then the cleaners were singing in the hall ways at 630am which was just as loud. Too top it all off the hot water ran out after one shower! Would definitley not stay here again!

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 107 as it is next to an alley way which has early morning deliveries!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dani, I'm saddened to read your review, it seems some of your noise issues could have been taken care of by either moving you to a different section of the hotel, or if staff would have spoken to the guest and urged them to put the music down - as you are aware we cannot control the noise coming from outside which pertains to deliveries in neighboring businesses, I'm shocked that these deliveries were made at 5 A.M. though, also I believe that the "cleaners" singing in the hallways at 6:30 A.M. must have been a guest because our housekeeping staff is not scheduled to start work until 9 A.M., I'm sorry for the horrible experience you encountered while staying at our property, please feel free to reach out to me at sales@thekenthotel.com so that I can have the opportunity to address your concerns.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

What a find! Me and my girlfriend took a quick birthday vacation and arrived in Miami without any plans or where to stay. We stopped into almost every hotel in the area, and no one was nearly as nice and accommodating at the employees were at The Kent. The rooms were clean and bright with everything you would need to have a great stay. This was the second time we have stayed in this hotel, the first expire acne was no different. Smiling faces and very helpful staff suggested where we should eat and explore. Overall we had two excellent stays and would stay there every time we visit beautiful Miami.
Also, At the front desk, Francois (hope spelling is correct) was such an amazing help to our lack of knowledge of the area and was there at our every call with an answer. He instantly became a trusted friend and advisor.
Love this place. Great service, reasonable price, and comfortable rooms.

Room Tip: Your not going to get an ocean view, sorry. But who needs one! Get out there and have fun!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, thank you for the wonderful review, I'm thrilled to read reviews where staff is mentioned often as one of the main reasons you guests enjoyed themselves! Please come back and visit us soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Came down to South Beach, me and 4 other girls... was cheap but so clean! I was shocked at the amount we paid for the cleanliness and nice staff. We werent there much so we did not care about the pool etc in the hotel... you shouldnt either Miami is too much fun to stay in!

The girl at the front desk was sooo nice- i kept asking for scissors and she was so kind... always new towels etc...

Id stay again... Location is perfect!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Kristen thank you for the wonderful review, I'm happy you enjoyed your stay and that you found staff to be so welcoming!
Bloomfield, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The web site for the Kent is really nice. The hotel is not! The windows were filthy, the lobby is seedy, there's no restaurant. I will say that the bed was comfortable (I was upgraded to a King) and the Rain Shower was really nice (not every room has one though).

Room Tip: You get what you pay for.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Geoffrey, I'm disappointed to read your review but I would really appreciate it if you could contact me directly (305-604-5068 Ext. 3001) so that I can speak to you and get your detailed feedback and suggestions on your experience and what as a consumer you would like to see us change - I can assure you the photos on the website are accurate (the reviewer right before yours ironically mentioned how accurate they were) and we do have a restaurant but it is temporarily closed while a new operator is getting the space ready to re-open.
Boulder, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I had a wonderful time at the Kent for the BCS Championship Game in January. The staff was awesome and François was great at suggesting places to visit around town. The room was comfortable and clean. There was a dead cockroach by the door when I first got to my room, but the cleaning service came IMMEDIATELY and cleaned it up. I didn't see any more bugs for the rest of my trip. The room was cute and looked exactly as advertised on the website. There were no hidden charges. Yes, the elevator is small, but it's a boutique hotel and everything is retro and cute. Deal with it.

My room was by the elevator which was a bit noisy. I happened to stay in my room the last night I was in town and there was a lot of noise. So, if you're looking to spend a lot of time in your room, know that noise exists. But why would you be in your room anyway? You should probably be out on the beach.

When I visit South Beach again, I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you Noelle for the wonderful review, in all honesty a typical weekend is not that noisy, but I can attest from personal experience that BCS Championship weekend was very very crowded! I have not seen a BCS game bring that type of atmosphere and quantity of people to South Beach in a very long time.
Redwood City, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Our stay at the Kent this year was disappointing. It was much better about five or so years ago when we were last there. Back then, we had a cool room with mellow music playing when we entered our room, and the lobby had some amenities (I seem to recall a bakery or some other kind of food counter). Now, the place seems rather stripped down. The room was freshly painted in a light color, which was better than the purple I seem to recall, but half of the lobby was blocked off with nothing there except for a PC that didn't work. I thought there was at least a a tatami mat under the bed last time, where now the floors are completely bare. The bathroom is completely unfunctional as there is no space for any toiletries -- not even for soap or shampoo in the shower! The front desk clerks at both check-in and check-out worked from a chair rather than rising to greet the guests, which seemed a little rude. The place has lost its mojo and cool SoBe vibe. It was New Year's Eve, so we expected some noise, but the place overall was loud enough that it felt more like a hostel or dorm than a hotel. On the plus side, the location is fantastic and the price was right. Next time in SoBe, we may pay a little more to go a bit more upscale.

Room Tip: It would seem that all rooms face something with noise, except perhaps maybe those facing south.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear David, I must say it's very disappointing reading your review, we have put a lot of money into fixing up the hotel these last 5 years so it's surprising to read that you'd prefer the way it was in the past - in the past the rooms had small 18" TV's, now they are all at least 32" Flat Screens, we have added DVD players in all the rooms, In-Room Safes, Ipod/MP3 compatible stereos, Free Wi-Fi internet for the entire property and we built restaurant facilities in the garden area which is the past was just an empty space, unfortunately we are currently looking for a new restaurant operator and the restaurant is closed until the the near future - you are correct about the lobby computer which broke down a few weeks back but that too has been replaced and is working properly now.

Been to Kent Hotel? Share your experiences!