“Don't stay here!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Marseilles Hotel

Save Saved
You added Marseilles Hotel to your Saves list
Marseilles Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1741 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #120 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
Philadelphia
“Don't stay here!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

Upon arrival noticed there was no mini-bar and/or small fridge (as promised over the phone prior to visit). Requested either for beverage storage. Could not deliver unitl third day after third request and speaking to GM. I had already bought a styrofoam cooler. Needed to remove disgusting bedspreads from beds, requested blankets to replace. Requested three times before receiving. Could not adjust a/c in room, archaic control. But here is the best part, no hot water, no water pressure. The hot water knob was completely stripped as confirmed by maintenance man. bathroom had missing hardware, broken and stained tiles, ugly!! Every Saturday the hotel has a beach party where Joe Public buys a wrist band that entitles them to shots, dancing girls, pool, lounge chairs and very loud techno music!!! Don't stay here, especially avoid Room 603!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Denville, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

The building, itself, is old, however, this could be overcome, given that the hotel is located in the Art Deco district of Miami Beach. The lobby is attractive in a boutique/non-high end charming kind of way, however, new paint is needed and carpets are worn. A decent, but not spectacular restaurant, Chef Vincent's graces the front porch. The staff, overall, were quite oblivious and customer service does not seem to be a high priority, with the exception of one bartender, who seemed to "get it." It took four phone calls to housekeeping/front desk to get two extra blankets for the room. The hot water knob in the shower was stripped, thereby making it impossible to get either enough hot water or enough pressure for a decent shower. The bathroom was tiny and in dire need of repair in our sixth floor double room. It took three requests and a demand to speak to the general manager in order to get our request for a mini fridge taken seriously. On the third day, we ran completely out of toilet paper. We had to track down the cleaning cart in order to get more. The pool area is small and without adequate chairs. Evidently, every Saturday a loud "beach party," is thrown which attracts mostly young spring breakers, making the pool area unbearable, unless you are interested in joining that crowd. There is one computer for public use and it was always being used by someone. The Tiki bar advertised 2 for 1 drinks after 1pm on Saturday and then, unapologetically, decided to delay the start time of the drink special. In a nutshell, it is as if one is supposed to feel so privileged to stay at this dump in Miami Beach that they just don't feel they should do anything else for you. If you are serious about your TV viewing, you will not be happy here. The TV signal itself was sporadic, the screen small, and the channels and options very limited. Overall, you feel like the place needs a good cleaning, from ceilings, to walls, to air ducts, and carpets.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
jvalera, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2011
Dear MADLY8892,

Thank you for your comments. I see plenty of opportunities for improvement on our part based on your review. Even though I spoke to you during your stay to try to deliver the items you needed, I wish we hadn't fallen short of meeting your expectations. Contrary to being “oblivious,” we pride ourselves on having caring staff that are friendly and very much involved with our guests' stays, even when things do not go right. We are also moving ahead on repairs that probably would have made the bathroom a non-issue, and for this I apologize. As to our beachfront events, and the time of your stay, Miami Beach in general attracts crowds of all kinds, not only spring breakers, but fans of electronic music as well from all corners of the world--needless to say for those reading this, the parties end at sun down and are open to all hotel guests who enjoy this type of music and vibe. At the same time, with direct access to the beach and the boardwalk that takes you by Ocean Drive, we find that the options for our guests to enjoy themselves in and out of the hotel are several. MADLY8892, we understand your stay could have been better, but I insist on inviting you back to try our hospitality. Please contact me at the hotel, and I will make sure your next stay goes right.
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

We stayed for 2 weeks cause of the ultra music festival in this hotel. The price for this Hotel is amazing... =)
Pro: location, roomservice, helpline (had problems with the toilets, after 30min. it was ok), the pool and the poolbar was ok and the people on the frontdesk were very friendly.

other thing: the breakfast was horrible in this hotel... not enough place to eat.. and sometimes you wait more than 45 minutes for your breakfast

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
jvalera, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2011
Dear WORLDPICS,
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your sincere comments. Ultra music fest brings a great crowd to Miami Beach and the vibe is awesome. I apologize that we were caught off guard at our restaurant, breakfast is something Chef Vincent prides himself in, and I remember the staff seating people in our lobby as everyone wanted to get a bite with us before going out to party. In addition, I would also like to thank you for mentioning our front desk's service. We strive to be the friendliest hotel on the beach, and your words make us feel as if everyday we are closer to that goal. So,even though you stayed 2 weeks with us, we really want you to be back for next year's ULTRA music fest too; and please, when you do come, get a hold of me, if space runs out at the restaurant, I will happily have you at my table.

Hope to see you soon,
Bowling Green, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

I read reviews about this hotel and expected much better. This hotel is in dire need of remodeling, updating and upgrading. The beds are totally shot. The rooms are very worn out. Don't believe other reviews that reccomend this hotel as these must be made by hotel staff. This is an old, beat-up hotel. There were signs around the hotel that mentioned 2 for 1 happy hour at the bar and the bar tender wouldn't honor it. While the hotel is on the ocean, you really can't see the ocean from your room. My wife asked why we didn't stay at another hotel - those were twice the price. You get what you pay for. On a good note, there is a nice little restaurant in the hotel and the front desk staff was very nice and accommodating.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
jvalera, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2011
Dear MANOVELLI,
As I read your comments it disappoints me that we were not able to leave a good impression. To us, every aspect of your stay is important: from room to happy hour to restaurant to check in. I will clarify some things for the readers you are trying to dissuade, however. Not one single review here at the Marseilles Hotel, whether positive or "negative" has ever been created by our employees. Any person reading our reviews would agree, as you never see a positive review immediately after a negative one, trying in some artistic way to counteract the last review and so forth. I will also tell you that we understand that we cannot be everything to all people. Being in an Art Deco building designed in the early 1940's in front of the ocean, the Marseilles cannot unfortunately guarantee all my guests an oceanfront view. The simple fact that you were not in an oceanfront room, does not mean that other guests did not have them as well. I wish I could personally register you to our hotel and show you that we are not an "old-beat up hotel" but a vibrant edifice that welcomes thousands of repeat visitors year after year. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to acknowledge our front porch restaurant and front desk staff. If there is anything I can do to change your mind, please contact me at our hotel. I will be more than glad to personally book you a new reservation and be your personal concierge. That is how important it is to us to have satisfied guests.

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

I'm not sure how many understand the Art Deco hotels. They are vintage with a great deal of history and this hotel is clean with great personnel and staff. You simply cannot beat the location.

Directly out back is the beach. Before you get to the beach, you pass a nice sized and clean pool. Past that is their courtyard with sand and lighted canopys above outdoor tables and furniture (other hotels in the area don't have this feature).
Next, you come to the walk way which runs the entire length of the beach and ocean drive - simply awsome! From there you see the water and you are on the beach front.

We like to spend most of our time while on vacation out of the hotel room. The pool, the beach, restaurants, and shopping. The hotel ammenities were great, and all entertainment was within walking distance. For what we like to do, the older room was great as we were only there to sleep and shower. Very clean.

The only negatives were low pressure showers, and rooms not very sound proofed but acceptable.

We'll be back again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
jvalera, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2011
Dear MBW86,

Thank you for your comments about our hotel, and for your sincere appreciation of Art Deco charm. It makes us very happy when we hear back from our guests. I also like the fact that it sounds like you enjoyed your vacation, and this means a lot to us and Miami Beach as a whole. I will keep in mind what you said we should improve, and we can only hope to outdo ourselves next time you come visit.

San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

I have not stayed here YET & after talking to the rude reservationist who would not honor the Miama Heat promo that the hotel offers & who hung up on me after I requested to speak to a manager, I doubt if I will stay here. People need to know that in a service industry customer service is so important, from the reservationist to the front desk person, to the housecleaners, to the managers. Just from my 1 phone call, I feel like Marseilles Hotel needs to do better. SIGNED: "YOU LOST A CUSTOMER"

Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Dear DEDESOA,
On behalf of our entire staff, I would like to apologize for what you may have undergone trying to book this great promo. I would also like to take a moment to clarify, that in no way whatsoever, do we train our staff to be rude or to hang up on future customers. However, I will also point out that at times it can be upsetting if we want a promotion or a sale that is subject to availability or black out dates and it is not available for the dates we request. If you would like to reconsider the dates of your reservation to see if the Miami Heat promotion is available for those dates, feel free to contact me.
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I just stayed there this weekend. The personnel was amazing! Super sweet, courteous, friendly, and fun! I spoke to the manager upon check in and he was super welcoming and he even told me about the history of the hotel which I thought was pretty cool. The hotel is very nice, it has an old, vintage but modern feel to it. The music in the hotel was awesome too! I was Amazed with the pool area and the tiki bar, it felt super tropical. The rooms were a good size, beds were comfy, it definetely had more than we expected and super clean.

Cons:
-Room was extremely hot
-Faucets and Shower were horrible, no pressure
-Do not get a room in front of the elevators! Too much noise.
-Thumping contruction-like noises early morning

I think this hotel has great potential. Like anything that is old, it needs some repairs and fixes. I would definetely recommend it!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Dear MFERNANDEZ86,

Thank you for your sincere comments. It was a pleasure personally checking you into the hotel and telling you about its history. I would also like to tell you that great things are already happening to this property as we are always looking for ways to meet the modern traveler's expectations without losing our Art Deco charm. We hope that you are able to come and see us once more, and don't worry there will still be plenty of the charm you saw and friendly front desk personnel willing to meet your every expectation.
Asst. General Manager

Been to Marseilles Hotel? Share your experiences!