“exactly what we hoped for” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marseilles Hotel

Save Saved
You added Marseilles Hotel to your Saves list
Marseilles Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1741 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #116 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
lansing, michigan
“exactly what we hoped for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

This hotel gave us everything we were looking for in our South Beach vacation. The room was clean, bedding comfortable, location exceptional, staff friendly and helpful, pool was clean and in the sun until late afternoon and the price was excellent for South Beach. The bathroom was small indeed, but the other reviews that ripped this establishment were totally inaccurate in my opinion. This is an old hotel and has an abundance of charm and style that you won't find in newer buildings, but with that comes some faults such as dripping faucets, tiny bathrooms, etc. For this price don't expect the Ritz, it is right down the street and more than twice the price. I would definitely stay here again. I would suggest parking in the public garage at 16th and Collins as it is far cheaper than valet.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear jhipster,
Just like your nickname indicates, it looks like you know what you want and when you find it, you know. We at the Marseilles strive to create that impression on all our guests. Not being part of a huge corporate chain gives us the chance to create a charm that cannot be borne out of a boardroom meeting of corporate designers, but out of the creativity of people that have been in South Beach for over 30 years as independent hoteliers. Your comments let us know we are doing the right thing, and we are grateful for your honesty.
See you next time,
Asst. GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

We booked this hotel on the internet thru our agent and the website said newly decorated rooms this hotel was last decorated when gretta garbo was a baby. It's dirty unconfotable and in need oif a complete refurb.

I woulkd let my dog stay there!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

I was very pleased with our stay at the marseilles hotel. we stayed there for six nights. the rooms are a little out-dated. however, room services cleaned the rooms every morning and put clean sheets on. I think i would stay at the Marseilles hotel again. And Juilian at the front desk is the best!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Dear snow27,
I am sure that 6 days with us was all it took to go back and face all the everyday challenges life throws at you! I will be sure to let Julian know what you said of him. He takes personal pride in making sure everyone that passes by that lobby feels special. I am glad you got that vibe from us. Thank you for your comments and please come back soon.
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

Let me start by saying that it is very difficult to find a reasonably priced hotel in South Beach that you feel comfortable staying in with a family if you go by the reviews. For every good review there is an equally bad review. I am so glad I chose to ignore the bad reviews and stay at the Marseilles. Though we were only there for one night-during spring break-the hotel was comfortable and quiet and in a great location! We arrived quite late at night, and Henry (the desk manager there at that time) went out of his way to make sure we had a room and a place to park our huge red rental van (a Mazda upgrade and we like to call it!). He found parking room at their sister hotel only a block away and we were able to leave it there until we left Miami. I wish we had more time to enjoy some of the perks at the hotel...the pool and beach access looked very nice and the lobby and bar area was beautiful. The room was old, but very clean and roomy. We were given a 3-bed room so we had plenty of room. The bathroom was clean and we had hot water for showers in the morning. The hotel restaurant was quite busy in the morning so we walked across the street for breakfast. Having had this experience at the Marseilles, I would definitely stay there again and would highly recommend it to friends and family. The walk to Ocean Blvd and shopping is easy and there are so many places to eat in the area. A perfect location to see South Beach.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Bucks County, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

If you are planning a small company function of 10-30 people and South Beach is on your radar screen, look no further than the Marseilles Hotel. Great staff combined with newly renovated rooms at a reasonable price point make this a home-run for the cost conscious business person. Looking to bring the team together in a fun yet professional environment, then give them a try. My contact was Fara Fara (that right) and she handled the arrangements seamlessly.

TIPS: Best Breakfast in South Beach. Pool is just OK. Moises is the best bartender in South Beach, drinks are expensive (same everywhere) but he is entertaining and attentive beyond what you will find elsewhere.

Regards
Otho Boone
CEO NeoForce Group, Inc.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Dear obewanBucksCounty-PA,

It fills our entire team with pride at the Marseilles Hotel that we were able to accomodate you and your staff in an environment that suited the business purposes of your trip. As a Dir. of Sales, we have a gem in Fara Fara, and she will always go the extra mile to make sure every member of your company has everything they need and more. Thank you for having chosen our hotel and we will see you again next year.
chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

My mom and I stayed hear last May. From the web page it couldn't look better.Well that can't be said for the hotel it self. The staff and lobby were fine. Then you get to the room.The carpet was dirty and coming up in the corners , The covers and sheets looked shabby and the bathroom had hair in it.. The windows which didn't open were so dirty that you could hardly see out of them. The outlets would not hold plugs in them either Granted it is a old hotle that is one thing that I love but it is not a reaon to let it get this bad.it is just poor house keeping.
I had an early flight so I had to be out by 4 am. They could not print my reciept. This to me in unheard of in a hotel.
I'm heading to Miami in August and not sure if I'm giving this hotel another chance.

• Stayed May 2009
Dear bergeziel1,

I would like to personally let you know that at the Marseilles Hotel we do not take your commnets lightly in any way. From reading your review, I see a great deal of opportunity in improving matters for future stays. I am so sorry that we missed these details, as they obviously made an impact in your impression about us. Neverthless, I would like for you to reconsider the idea of visiting us once more. We are moving post haste to make sure our hotel has all the amenities and the feel that a hotel constructed in the past should have, servicing the guests of today. By reading your comments I can see that you like the old flare of many of South Beach's Art Deco properties, and we have always loved intertwining this look with the service expected in a fast-paced environment. Please reconsider in August to be with us once more, this you will not regret. Thank you so much for your comments however, and please know your words are helping us go in the right direction.
Houston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

I read the mixed reviews on this so I wasn't expecting a lot, but I really didn't expect to be assigned a room already given to someone else, exposed wiring on the walls, rooms numbers taped to the doors, stains on the carpet and tile in the room, "free wi-fi" that only really works in the lobby, and a/c that barely works. The last time I was in a hotel this bad was in a 3rd world country and that one was only $30/night so I didn't feel like I was getting robbed. I honestly left after an hour. The weak wi-fi in the room was enough for me to book another room online at a hotel where I didn't think i'd pick up an infectious disease. I had to pay for one night at the place, but it was the best $288 I ever spent. I loved the 2nd hotel I picked.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Been to Marseilles Hotel? Share your experiences!