“Good Hotel, new fantastic pool” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marseilles Hotel

You added Marseilles Hotel to your Saves list
Marseilles Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1741 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #126 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Basel
“Good Hotel, new fantastic pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We have selected this Hotel for price and location and stayed for one week. In that perspective it completely matched our expectations. The rooms were not super luxury, but were more than appropriate. It's very close to Lincoln (a main shopping and restaurant area) and the beach is just a few steps out of the door. The fantastic and newly designed and built pool just opened when we arrived. All of this and the great experience with the very friendly stuff makes it easy to return to that Hotel for our next Miami Beach visit.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Polish first
Manalapan, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

total disappointment.. asked for a oceanview got the view of the next dirty hotel with the slightes t view of the ocean and got to see the whole pool renovation.. terrible I was told that was ocean view..had to use the sister hotel for pool .... no parking in the hotel had to park 2 blocks away, though the rooms were clean I didnt like the hallways reminded me of a dingy Manahattan hotel on the plus side the location was great but there are so many hotels in the area

Room Tip: if you want ocean view stress it before booking
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Andrej B, Guest Relations Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for the review. Foremost, I want to apologize that the swimming pool was not available. I see that you have stayed in January, and indeed, during that time our pool and back of the house was going through a multi-million dollar makeover. We are putting finishing touches to the beautiful new cabanas, however our pool is open and looks incredible. Our friendly front office staff always love to provide upgrades and best possible views to our guests; however it is something that is offered based on availability. I hope you will visit us again and try out our brand new pool and all that we have to offer.
Saint Paul
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I loved the location of the hotel, right off the beach. The staff was very polite and accomodating. That was the good. The room however was average at best. We had a room that faced Collins street and not the view we wanted. The worst part was our neighbors next to our room. There was a group of women that must of been in a couple rooms. They were going back and forth all night and the doors would slam and shake our walls. It was so loud which made me realize these walls were paper thin. The room was clean but the AC was not working. So we were sweating in our sleep since it was 90+ degrees that day. That alone is reason to avoid this hotel. I sent them a similar review directly to them and have not heard anything back. Not that I am expecting anything but a simple apology would have been more than suffice. This place is probably cheaper than others, but there is a reason.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Andrej B, Guest Relations Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for the review, as it provides us with valuable feedback. Please accept my apology for the disappointments you experienced during your recent stay at Hotel Marseilles. We work hard at pleasing our guests and most of the times we’re successful. However; there are those moments when things simply can go wrong- all at the same time. Bad traffic, noisy neighbors, and a record breaking temperature for a Spring day. We take any noise complaints very seriously and we have an all night security presence patrolling all floors at night. I wish this was reported right away, so the noise and the AC issue described would be taken care of promptly. Our AC was inspected less than a week ago by certified technicians, and no anomalies have been reported. Once again, I apologize for the disappointment and thank you for choosing Hotel Marseilles.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I booked this hotel but we nearly going to cancel after some of the reviews. I am so glad we went. In a good position, nice room, it had been revamped, some bits still needed a little touch up but to be fair that's mainly paintwork. Nice size. Pool was lovely but the rest of the garden was still being revamped and so was closed off and direct excess to beach was closed off but really just 2 minute walk down side road. Will be fab when completed. Nice snack bar at front of hotel lovely staff but a little slow as the kitchens are at back of hotel. Reception staff friendly and very helpful. Star of show was Eric the pool attendant, very helpful, could not do enough for you, and very friendly without being in your face. We rally enjoyed are stay and would defiantly go back. The price was good and we had no complaints.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Andrej B, Guest Relations Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank You for your review. Customer service and cleanliness are our number one priority, so it gives us great pleasure when we see such kind comments about our Pool and Front Office staff. We are excited to announce that the rest of the garden in the back of the house is completely accessible with direct access to the beach, and our brand new swimming pool is amazing. We certainly hope you will come back to experience all that we have to offer and visit us soon.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This place is far worse than I expected, even after reading the bad reviews and ignoring the warnings. Let me explain piece by piece:

Housekeeping: IF housekeeping came, it was around 4-6pm when we were just getting back from the beach or pool. They made our beds about half the time, never vacuumed and, another IF, they left fresh towels, it was never the same amount.

Our room: it was on Collins, so all of the music from the hotels across the street played from about noon until 3 or 4 in the morning. Our a/c was broken and not fixed despite telling the front desk. Decorative pillows were dusty and disgusting. The outlets in the room are awkwardly placed and two didn't work. The light in our bathroom was out and the fan didn't work. Despite a somewhat recent remodel, the water pressure was awful. We heard every noise in the hall and in the rooms next to ours.

Hotel: the food from the "restaurant," was disgusting and almost as bad as the service we received. The hotel is under constant construction during high traffic hours, causing us to dodge ladders and scaffolding. Nothing seemed totally clean or put together. The wifi is so weak, I used my data the entire time because I would be kicked off. Our service by the front desk was always disappointing and some times rude; asking for an umbrella, about the resort fee and informing them that our a/c isn't working. A pool attendant yelled at me for having a plastic Starbucks up and was the talk of many guests at the pool for his terrible attitude. Some attendants at the beach spot were incredibly rude as well, though I don't believe they are employees of marseilles. One saving grace was Damien, a server. He was sweet, funny and hard working.
Aside from the convenient location, a decent pool and Damien, nothing about this hotel left me with anything positive to say. We are behind disappointed we spent what we did when there are so many similar options.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Please accept my apology for the disappointment you experienced during your recent visit to Hotel Marseilles. Our housekeeping staff services all rooms until 5:30pm unless guest refuse service, or the no disturb sign is placed on the door handle. To conserve our environment the housekeeping staff always replaces only the amount of towels that are used. In regards to the pool service; in recent days we have received many generous and positive comments about our pool attendants. Hotel Marseilles South Beach is a historic property protected from architectural change by State and Local Governments. In short, we are an antique. Some people like antiques …some don’t. In fact, our management team has been working on different renovation projects for months. We could fix things faster but everything has to be approved by the government… right down to what color we paint the building. Scaffolding had to be present in our lobby only few hours per day due to an isolated repair. I apologize our condition was not up to your satisfaction at this moment of your stay and wish you a better stay in South Beach in the future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The rooms were updated but can still use a little more TLC. King size bed was great and comfortable and the pillows were super soft. I didn't care about room view when booking but was happy that we did get a slight ocen view. The room was clean, stocked with towels, TV etc. Overall I was content. The lobby, pool and walkway to the beach is under some construction but didn't bother us any. The pool was open which was great, they provided us with towels to either the beach or the pool and we had lounge chairs with an umbrella. Happy hour was awesome because of the great bartender Melissa. She can make a great Mojito! Just pay $1 tip for each drink then from 8-9 they have half off drinks. The location is perfect, my fiancé and I were able to walk down Collins to Ocean drive. We had a liquor store and Walgreens half block away which was nice and of course lots of great restaurants, shops etc nearby. Overall we had a great experience and will be back. All the staff there were nice and courteous to us, thanks Marsellies!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

So after a nice flight on BA we landed and then the fun really starts getting out of the airport 1hour 40.
Then get to the hotel to be told your room is part paid for long story short I had to pay again but get a refund in 2/3 working days.
Then I was sent to a room with a view of a wall. Back off to see the man at reception to be told that is what I paid for..Luck for me I had the res on my ipad that said" a room with ocean view"
He did change the room for me.

So now in the room that I paid for and they also hold $150 from my card for what I don't know.
I have to say online the hotel looks great but when here it is only average at best.And not cheap

Room Tip: Ocean view is good
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Andrej B, Guest Relations Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for your review. I am truly sorry to see that there were some complications with the reservation. The last thing we would want, is to ask anyone to move rooms after a long flight, but I am glad that we were able to make it right. Certain reservations can be prepaid and different payment procedures apply to different types of reservations. Despite being a standard for nearly all hotels in Miami Beach if not in the whole United States, the hotel needed to take a deposit or a hold in order to establish credit. We hope you will visit us in the future and we can make your stay not just average but perfect.

Been to Marseilles Hotel? Share your experiences!