“Judge for yourself” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marseilles Hotel

You added Marseilles Hotel to your Saves list
Marseilles Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1741 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #126 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Judge for yourself”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I booked this hotel but we nearly going to cancel after some of the reviews. I am so glad we went. In a good position, nice room, it had been revamped, some bits still needed a little touch up but to be fair that's mainly paintwork. Nice size. Pool was lovely but the rest of the garden was still being revamped and so was closed off and direct excess to beach was closed off but really just 2 minute walk down side road. Will be fab when completed. Nice snack bar at front of hotel lovely staff but a little slow as the kitchens are at back of hotel. Reception staff friendly and very helpful. Star of show was Eric the pool attendant, very helpful, could not do enough for you, and very friendly without being in your face. We rally enjoyed are stay and would defiantly go back. The price was good and we had no complaints.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Andrej B, Guest Relations Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank You for your review. Customer service and cleanliness are our number one priority, so it gives us great pleasure when we see such kind comments about our Pool and Front Office staff. We are excited to announce that the rest of the garden in the back of the house is completely accessible with direct access to the beach, and our brand new swimming pool is amazing. We certainly hope you will come back to experience all that we have to offer and visit us soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

This place is far worse than I expected, even after reading the bad reviews and ignoring the warnings. Let me explain piece by piece:

Housekeeping: IF housekeeping came, it was around 4-6pm when we were just getting back from the beach or pool. They made our beds about half the time, never vacuumed and, another IF, they left fresh towels, it was never the same amount.

Our room: it was on Collins, so all of the music from the hotels across the street played from about noon until 3 or 4 in the morning. Our a/c was broken and not fixed despite telling the front desk. Decorative pillows were dusty and disgusting. The outlets in the room are awkwardly placed and two didn't work. The light in our bathroom was out and the fan didn't work. Despite a somewhat recent remodel, the water pressure was awful. We heard every noise in the hall and in the rooms next to ours.

Hotel: the food from the "restaurant," was disgusting and almost as bad as the service we received. The hotel is under constant construction during high traffic hours, causing us to dodge ladders and scaffolding. Nothing seemed totally clean or put together. The wifi is so weak, I used my data the entire time because I would be kicked off. Our service by the front desk was always disappointing and some times rude; asking for an umbrella, about the resort fee and informing them that our a/c isn't working. A pool attendant yelled at me for having a plastic Starbucks up and was the talk of many guests at the pool for his terrible attitude. Some attendants at the beach spot were incredibly rude as well, though I don't believe they are employees of marseilles. One saving grace was Damien, a server. He was sweet, funny and hard working.
Aside from the convenient location, a decent pool and Damien, nothing about this hotel left me with anything positive to say. We are behind disappointed we spent what we did when there are so many similar options.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Please accept my apology for the disappointment you experienced during your recent visit to Hotel Marseilles. Our housekeeping staff services all rooms until 5:30pm unless guest refuse service, or the no disturb sign is placed on the door handle. To conserve our environment the housekeeping staff always replaces only the amount of towels that are used. In regards to the pool service; in recent days we have received many generous and positive comments about our pool attendants. Hotel Marseilles South Beach is a historic property protected from architectural change by State and Local Governments. In short, we are an antique. Some people like antiques …some don’t. In fact, our management team has been working on different renovation projects for months. We could fix things faster but everything has to be approved by the government… right down to what color we paint the building. Scaffolding had to be present in our lobby only few hours per day due to an isolated repair. I apologize our condition was not up to your satisfaction at this moment of your stay and wish you a better stay in South Beach in the future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The rooms were updated but can still use a little more TLC. King size bed was great and comfortable and the pillows were super soft. I didn't care about room view when booking but was happy that we did get a slight ocen view. The room was clean, stocked with towels, TV etc. Overall I was content. The lobby, pool and walkway to the beach is under some construction but didn't bother us any. The pool was open which was great, they provided us with towels to either the beach or the pool and we had lounge chairs with an umbrella. Happy hour was awesome because of the great bartender Melissa. She can make a great Mojito! Just pay $1 tip for each drink then from 8-9 they have half off drinks. The location is perfect, my fiancé and I were able to walk down Collins to Ocean drive. We had a liquor store and Walgreens half block away which was nice and of course lots of great restaurants, shops etc nearby. Overall we had a great experience and will be back. All the staff there were nice and courteous to us, thanks Marsellies!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

So after a nice flight on BA we landed and then the fun really starts getting out of the airport 1hour 40.
Then get to the hotel to be told your room is part paid for long story short I had to pay again but get a refund in 2/3 working days.
Then I was sent to a room with a view of a wall. Back off to see the man at reception to be told that is what I paid for..Luck for me I had the res on my ipad that said" a room with ocean view"
He did change the room for me.

So now in the room that I paid for and they also hold $150 from my card for what I don't know.
I have to say online the hotel looks great but when here it is only average at best.And not cheap

Room Tip: Ocean view is good
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Andrej B, Guest Relations Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your review. I am truly sorry to see that there were some complications with the reservation. The last thing we would want, is to ask anyone to move rooms after a long flight, but I am glad that we were able to make it right. Certain reservations can be prepaid and different payment procedures apply to different types of reservations. Despite being a standard for nearly all hotels in Miami Beach if not in the whole United States, the hotel needed to take a deposit or a hold in order to establish credit. We hope you will visit us in the future and we can make your stay not just average but perfect.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed here during a recent visit to Miami and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. There was a gentleman who was training during my check in/out who was amazing. I cannot recall his or the gentleman training him, but both were equally amazing! The room was extra nice. The décor was done nicely and the AC was on full blast! The beach is a short walk away. The resort fee covers chairs and umbrellas alongside beach towels! Finally, a hotel in a great location with access to the beach and provides proper amenities for a resort fee. Each day at the beach you are entitled to hit the sand and get some sand in one of the many chairs or people watch under the shade of the giant umbrellas. Will def look into staying at this hotel again. Everyone on the staff I encountered was extra nice. Only thing I didn't like was the huge argument between two members of staff that took place one morning. Didn't listen to it all, but sounded like maintenance and housekeeping were in total disagreement on an issue. Overall, an amazing stay and will def return

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Thank You for your kind review. We are glad to see you have enjoyed your stay, and for mentioning our attentive and amazing staff. Indeed, the Marseilles beach club where we provide two beach lounges per room as well as an umbrella adds a great value to our resort. Thank you for writing, as this provides valuable feedback for us. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Fairfax County, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Here's the deal. I booked this hotel regardless of some of the negative reviews because let's be real people: (1) you have to try it for yourself, and (2) mainly because when you read some of the negative reviews closely, it's sometimes about petty stuff.

Stayed here for 3 nights and I had a very good experience because of the following:

- Every staff member we dealt with, treated us really well and answered all of our questions.

-The room was a good size and clean for my standards. The bathroom was updated. The flat screen TV was greatttt (any channel you could possibly want - they have it). Wifi excellent too.

-The noise level didn't bother us at all. Yes we could hear people in the hallways and out on the street, but let's be realistic, when you're on a main road like Collins Ave, what do you expect? It's a city too. I was able to sleep really well all 3 nights....actually at night, didn't hear anything crazy.

- The free Happy Hour in the lobby area bar from 7-8pm, was super nice. The bar area is awesome. The bartender Ashley was super NICE and such a great sport. She made us feel comfortable, answered all of our questions, recommended some cool places, and really made us feel welcomed. Her manager was also nice and extremely patient with us, especially because we were celebrating my friends birthday. Marseilles Happy Hour made our night! Oh and the drinks were great. Only had to tip $1 per drink, but we tipped more because it was SUPERB. (Note: Ask Ashley about the Peach Drink..lol) Also kudos to JeanCarlo(s) for being helpful in greeting us and assisting our group when we needed help. Thanks Marseilles Team!

-The location is excellent and you can walk everywhere.

- The Marseilles garage where we parked our rental car was perfect because it was off of the main street around the block. By being off of the main street, it was fairly easy to go in and out of the parking area. Our car had no damages and parking was always available.

- The pool was closed, but is NOW OPEN! Didn't really miss the pool with the beach right around the corner and courtesy chairs & umbrella card that the Marseilles provides you with upon check-in. :)

- The staff explained all charges at all times and everyone was really nice.

- Keep in mind that you get what you pay for and you should keep an open mind. You really get your money's worth when you book with this hotel. It's almost half the price as the other hotels on this street and you shouldn't expect a lavish lifestyle hotel. You should expect more of a very good clean room, great hotel staff, great area, beautiful beach area, and a free hour of happy hour everyday you're here. It's well worth-it.

- If you decide to stay at the Marseilles, try to go with a positive attitude. Remember to treat others the way you want to be treated. Be nice and people will be nice to you.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend others to stay here.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Thank You for choosing Marseilles Hotel South Beach. Thank you for your generous comments about our staff, excellent location, and the superb drinks available at the M-bar during our happy hour. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Typical tourist hotel. Good location, close to beach, Lincoln Rd and Ocean Drive. Clean and quite recently redecorated rooms. Mediocre and uninterested service from reception staff. We had some problem with the ventilation one evening (smell from the kitchen), which Wasn't handled in a good way. Compliments to Eric, at the pool area, for great service.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family

Been to Marseilles Hotel? Share your experiences!