“SOBE Summer 2014 Vacation!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marseilles Hotel

Save Saved
You added Marseilles Hotel to your Saves list
Marseilles Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1741 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #116 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Massachusetts
“SOBE Summer 2014 Vacation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We, 3 adults , stayed at the Marseilles Hotel on Collins Ave., Aug. 16-23 for 7-nts. in a Superior DBL/DBL P.O.V RM. #505. The Hotel was getting a new front desk area that week, which actually will add a nice touch. Room was ready when we arrived around 230pm. The room, #505, looked like it was freshly renovated. New window treatments,new bedding, comfy beds, flat screen t.v., modern upgraded bathroom. The room was on the small side, as was the bathroom. This is an Art Deco Hotel ,so the rooms are usually smaller than hotels nowadays. A few points with the room: No Ventilation in this bathroom. No fan/exhaust and the window didn't open. Got VERY humid/steamy esp. with 3 adults sharing the accommodation, but we managed. The wall-to-wall carpet needs to be ripped out! Why are there still hotels in warm/humid climates that INSIST on using wall-to-wall in the rooms? A tile floor MUST be easier to keep clean ( hello beach sand!) and I would think guests would prefer tile. Thank God there was no moldy smell, but the carpet was stained in some areas. Now the A/C....well this was running a little warmer than we would have liked. We had the "engineer" come and take a look at it and whatever he did made it a bit cooler but surely not enough for the 90 deg. temps outside last week. We managed once again. Rm. #505 is directly across from the ONLY ICE MACHINE (so we were told) in the Hotel, so it was quite noisy at times. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if the door to the room didn't have a louvered panel on the lower part of the door which we found BIZZARE. You could hear EVERYTHING going on in the hallway, but again, we managed. Yes, the POOL is non-existent. The beachside area of the Hotel is all dug up. I am sure it will be AWESOME when it is done. In the meantime, you have access to the SOUTH SEAS hotel's pool right next door, which is very nice and access to the GORGEOUS BEACH with TOWELS/PADDED BEACH LOUNGES (red ones are best!)/UMBRELLAS included for hotel guests with your beach cards that you get every day at the front desk along with pool access wristbands.
We enjoyed the FREE HAPPY HOUR in the LOBBY BAR nightly between 7p-8p. All you need to do is tip $1 per drink. Yeah, it's House Brand Liquor, not Call, but you can get a discount on Top Shelf booze/Beer if you want. The 2 bartenders, ASHLEY & SARA, are both sweethearts and GREAT mixologists! Thanks Girlz! :) Oh yeah, just a tip...you should have some munchies on the bar during HAPPY HOUR. Popcorn/Pretzels. Nothing fancy.:)
Our overall stay was very nice and we all said we would definitely stay @ Marseilles again in the future. The LOCATION is PERFECT for SOBE and central to all the sights. You can walk to everything. Once the POOL AREA is done, the hotel will be AWESOME!
Thanks for a nice stay! :)

Room Tip: higher floor rooms have better ocean views
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
Ann Arbor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed at the marseilles for 3 nights in Feb 2014 - the hotel is fairly dated and worn. Rooms need some new paint and updating. Staff was friendly and hotel is on the beach. However, the pool area was being renovated and so the whole back side was blocked and you had to walk through a neighboring hotel to get to the beach. So, really, it did not feel like it was on the beach. Because the back was closed, b-fast was at the front which was quite noisy with the street right there. Overall, I think there's other options and we probably won't be back and I would recommend against, at least until the pool area has been finished. Even then, the hotel felt worn.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Aaron G, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your visit to Miami Beach. We apologize that your stay with us was unsatisfactory and we appreciate your feedback as we look to improve in the areas you noted. Our pool being under construction can be a disappointment to our guests and we appreciate your cooperation while we try to make the guest experience better. We hope you change your mind and give another try in the future.

Best regards,
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We stayed one night at Marseilles at the beginning of Aug 2014. The check-in went smoothly and the staff very polite and friendly. We stayed in a jacuzzi room which was lovely, cool and clean. The pool is under construction but we were encouraged to use the pool next door and we had free chairs and an unbrella at the beach, it was perfect. The hotel has the perfect location: walking distance to Lincoln Rd and Ocean Ave. The best surprise was the food at the hotel cafe was delicious! Great prices and excellent food quality! Thank you for a great stay, we're looking forward to coming back to the Marseilles!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Milano
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

If you are thinking about booking this hotel..run away unless you like to be robbed and sleep with cockroaches!
We found few cockroaches in the room,which is pretty disgusting if u think about the fact that the are used to hide into beds. After this issue the hotel proposed us a refund of 200$ and they moved us into another room at the 2nd floor that was ok we haven't found any other palmetto bugs. During the tranfer to the other room,the security guy told us to leave our luggages open in the old room cause cockroaches were might hiding iside..during that night somebody stole from our luggagages items for 1500$. So basicly we paid 1300$ + 1500$.
After speaking with the front desk many many many time,we got to speak with the manager(aron) he told us they have no proof that those items have been stolen by a member of the staff of the hotel. So from his point of view they just magically disappear!

• Stayed August 2014
Aaron G, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your visit to Miami Beach. We are extremely sorry about all the inconveniences you may have had while staying with us. Palmetto bugs are very indigenous to our area and sometimes find a way inside the hotel. We are very sorry that you had to encounter one but also glad we could change your room as soon as the issue came about. Now as far as the missing items from your room are concerned, we have surveillance throughout the entire hotel. While we conducted our own investigation, we found no evidence concluding that anything was stolen from your room.

Best regards,
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I would still recommend this hotel because of the location. It is in South Beach on Collins, beach front,close to Lincoln(shopping,food,Walgreens etc.), and the Art Deco Ocean Drive area. The pool is under construction(until October 2014) so you have to go to the hotel next door and use their pool. You do get free beach chairs and umbrella. We stayed in room 803 good and bad. It is a corner room and one small flight up to the roof. Not much on the roof but view is great. Room was clean and updated and I think bigger because it was on the corner. You could see the beach and street from the corner windows. Water pressure and temp was not that great but doable. Walls are thin I could hear my husband talking from the elevator and our rooms door was closed. I got a great deal on the price of the room so I was happy at the end of my stay with the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

When booking yourself a hotel in south beach do yourself a favor and make sure you do not go to the marseilles hotel. The hotel is absolutely disgusting and the worst hotel I have ever been too. First of all, my friends and I realized after the first night at the hotel that we had little bites all over our bodies. After our second and last night at the hotel we realized that those bites were all over the place and came from bed bugs from the hotel beds. In addition, we found a giant cockroach walking around our room. The hotel has very thin walls so the noise was extremely loud. Lastly, my wallet was stolen while I was placing my luggage in my car. The staff at the front desk was extremely uncooperative and unclear making it seem like they were the perpetrators of stealing the cash that was then given to the front desk. This hotel is disgusting and terrible.... PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE !!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Aaron G, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your visit to Miami Beach. I am deeply sorry about how poorly your stay went. I do want to clarify that when you reported the bites on your legs and body and claimed it to be from bed bugs, my housekeeping department went to the room and did a thorough check while I was in the room and found nothing. These bites could have been from beach bugs or mosquitoes that are indigenous of Miami. Also, I would like to add that the bug you deemed a cockroach was actually a Palmetto bug, which is harmless and they eat smaller bugs, and are also indigenous to the many tropical trees we have here in Miami. As far as your wallet being "stolen," I am certain that no one from my staff would steal from anyone. I hire well-educated and well-trained people to work here and to make the assumption that a member of my team stole from you is unfair.

Regards,
Woodbridge, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I stayed here July 2013 but I couldn't choose that date.
I stayed at this hotel 2 times. Both times were for a couple of days before going on a cruise. The hotel is average looking nothing too spectacular. It's in a good location..not too far of a walk from the main strip with all the bars and restaurants. There are plenty of restaurants right next door though. I stayed there once with 2 girlfriends (we're in our 20's) and we got the room with 2 beds and the rooms are kind of small. I mean we were okay because it was just us. But if it were a family or large men you could possible get cramped. My parents also have stayed there a few times and they enjoy the location and price. Once I stayed with them and they got the big room with jacuzzi in it and it was a great size room! But I'm young and don't really care about how big my room is all that matters is it was clean, the bathroom was nice (not really that big either) and it wasn't far from the strip! I would recommend it and I am sure I'll be staying again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Marseilles Hotel? Share your experiences!