“Art Deco on the Beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marseilles Hotel

You added Marseilles Hotel to your Saves list
Marseilles Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1741 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #122 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Art Deco on the Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Our first night in MIami we picked the wrong end of town to be in, where the Marseilles is, this is the end you want to stay, the Art Deco area.
The Hotel is on the beach front which is lovely. The rooms are a bit tired and no fridge in the room, but the bed is good, linen is clean, the amenities yummy. Seriously for the value compared to what else is around, you get over a tired room. The pool is great and the location perfect, the staff are friendly and helpful, except for the concierge pretty useless! Would stay again unless the Delano is in the budget this looked divine!

Room Tip: Away from the lifts, an end room out to the ocean be worth it, as Miami can be noisy!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Let me start by saying prior to booking I had contacted the hotel via phone 2 times to see if it was possible to have a roll away bed in the room we booked (double). Both times we were told not problem.

We arrived at the hotel before check in and our room was not ready, which was not a big deal because we knew that they could not guarantee the room before check in time.

Upon arrival they tried using my credit card for the deposit. For some reason it kept declining so my bank out a fruad hold on it because of the number of times they kept on putting it through. Apparently it went through 3 times. So, I just put down the deposit in cash having them write a special agreement that it would be returned to me in cash upon check out in cash form. At check out time, somehow they messed that up too and would not return my cash. So now, I am out $150 in cash and my card is not working because they charged it 3 times. HUGE pain in our vacation.

So, when we arrive the door man, who was honestly the most helpful person at the hotel. He told us how to access the beach and pool from the neighboring hotel since they were undergoing renovations. He also advised us to ask the front desk for chair and umbrella vouchers, which you would think they would proactivly give to you but did not.

So, check in time finally rolls around and we go to get our room keys and ask them to bring up the roll away bed. They tell me they cannot do it in the room we booked. I let them know that I spoke to people on 2 different occastions and they said it would not be a problem. This was a big deal for us because we would have just booked a hotel somewhere else had we know that. We were taveling with 3 kids. I asked if I could cancel my booking due to incorrect information given to us and they said no, it was non-refundable...urrrrrggg.

So we get to the room, which would have easily fit a roll away bed. The room itself was ok. It had tile floors, clean bedding, ocean views but, filthy windows.

We ask the front desk and 2 different housekeepers for towels and managed to get 2 more since our room only had 2 in it. So we are still one short and never did get another after numerous attempts.

The bathroom was clean but, there was tile missing from behind the toilet and exposed the pipes.

Overall, front desk was not accomodating or helpful and did not stand by there word. Hotel was ok for the location and price point. I would not recommend this hotel for those traveling with children and wish you luck if you have any simple requests like towels, roll away bed, beach towels. I also chime what others said about the walls being thin and hearing your neighbors.

If it had just been my husband and I it would have been ok but, when you are with kids, you expect things to go better especially when you have done your homework to ensure a smooth stay and it does not happen.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Aaron G, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Let me first apologize for not leaving you 100% satisfied with your stay. It's always our intention that our guests have a wonderful experience while staying with us.

Excellent customer service is one of our main priorities here at the hotel and I would like to personally apologize that it was less than exceptional for you and your family.

The situation regarding the rollaway bed in your room I believe was a misunderstanding. Rollaway beds are a request and are not guaranteed. The request can not be made over the phone rather in person at the front desk upon arrival. I would also like to add that a room with 2 beds in it cannot have a rollaway bed because it is a fire and safety hazard. We do offer rooms with 3 beds as they are more comfortable for larger families.

I would personally like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and your feedback is very valuable to us. On your next visit to Miami Beach we hope to see you again as we will do better than our best to give you the exceptional service and satisfaction you deserve.

Best Wishes,
Aaron Gusky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

The negative reviews on this hotel are not true! Initially I made reservations to stay at a hotel right next door to the Marseilles, but after checking into the room I just couldn't stay there. I went right next door the the Marseilles and found a piece of heaven! The room was fresh and breathtaking! The decor right down to the staff, everything was GREAT!!! This will be my go to hotel when I visit Miami. I also want to give a shout out to Cynthia who works at the front desk, she was very caring and attentive to all of my needs. Thanks again!!

Room Tip: Corner suite was large and sunny
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Well to start with we picked the wrong weekend to stay in Miami. The Ultra music festival was going on and the hotel right next door had its own mini dance music festival happening so the noise was pretty crazy. From our room we could hear constant noise till 5am but this wasn't the hotel's fault and there was a sign at the reception stating about the music festivals happening in Miami that week and apologizing for the noise. Our room was good, didn't have much of a view but we had a clean room, decent size, a nice big flat screen tv on the wall, modern clean bathroom with nice toiletries. We didn't try the food there but it seemed really good! All of the staff were friendly, apart from one member at the check in desk. He seemed more interested in playing around with other members of staff (or his friends not sure), arm wrestling etc instead of calling housekeeping to check on when my room would be ready to check into. My one complaint was being charged $30 for resort fees, which we got told at check in was for the use of towels, beach chairs and wifi. This was fine, but the wifi didn't work for the most of the 2 days we were there....yet we still got charged the full $30 at check out. Lots of people were complaining about the wifi and they said a maintenance guy was going to be fixing it but it didn't work for most of our time there. Disappointing and there seemed to big rush to get this fixed. I would stay there again, great location and nice clean rooms.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
El Paso, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

The stay at Marseilles Hotel was not what we expected. Even after reading the reviews we thought, "How bad could it be?" We are pretty easy going travelers, but the first two nights at the Marseilles were the worst I have ever experienced. The first night we were assigned a room with nasty stains on the carpet, and hairs on the bed, and when we inquired about having a different room were told there weren't any other rooms for us to move to. At 2:30 in the morning we were awakened by a party in the hallway, so we called the front desk, three times. No answer. The noise from the hallway was so extreme that I went down to the front desk at 2:30 and asked if there was another place we could sleep. Funny enough there was another room on a different floor. It wasn't as dirty as the first room, but still had bits of plaster and string on the carpet. We moved at 3:00 am just to get some rest.
Additionally, the walls are thin enough in this building that you may think someone is conversing right outside of your door, but they are actually in their own room across the hall with their door closed.
After a second night without sleep we were moved to a lovely, spacious room which was bright and clean. If we had been placed there to begin with, I would never have guessed the filth in the other rooms even existed.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed at Marseilles hotel in Miami one night Mar 3-4, 2014 and had two rooms there. We were expecting the worst after reading the reviews - and maybe that made us excessively pleasantly surprised.
The service was wonderful. Everyone was helpful and cheerful. Yes there's construction and no access to the pool on the property but they give you access to all the amenities of the hotel next door - which is like a 30 second walk. Like if this was a bigger hotel, the walk to the pool would be longer than it is now to the hotel next door. The pool was awesome and the beach was fantastic. You get two chairs and an umbrella per room.

If you're expecting a five star hotel, maybe you'll find the carpets a bit old but really, for that price and location, this hotel is amazing.

Would totally stay here again!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Chris G, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

I wanted to thank you for sharing your impression of your stay at the Marseilles Hotel. I couldn't be more pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations during your recent visit. We pride ourselves on our high level of customer service the satisfaction of our guests is incredibly important to us all. I appreciate your mentioning for review reader that our temporary pool accommodations were convenient for you.

Also, I'm happy to report that we're already looking at new carpeting for the hallways.

Thanks again for staying with us and especially for taking the time so send in your thoughts. We hope to see you again when our beautiful new pool and cabana area is open.

Best Regards,
Chris Gorgoni
Manager
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We booked this directly with the hotel in October last year and were never advised that the pool was being renovated during our stay. We only found out via trip advisor and by that time it was too late to get a better deal.
However saying that we found our stay adequate, not exceptional.
We had a two bed room opposite the lifts which was very noisy during the night, also all the doors slammed and we had disturbed sleep every night either doors slamming or people shouting and banging on doors when they came in at 5am.
The lack of outside sitting space was disappointing it would have been nice to sit outside in the early evening but we were told we could only use the hotel pool area next door up to 6pm.
We used the pool next door and the beach which we found to be OK .
The room was clean and looked out to the next door hotel wall.
The window did not open and there was no ventilation in the bathroom which was rather uncomfortable as it was about 5 feet square and steamed up very quickly.
A coffee maker was provided which was appreciated.
We thought it was probably value for money as South Beach is very expensive, but don't expect anything more than basic.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs and ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Chris G, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us here at the Marseilles Hotel. We appreciate your patronage and your feedback.

We're keenly aware of the inconveniences posed to our guests by the renovation of our pool area. As you know, we have partnered with the hotel next door to provide our guests with pool and beach access while our rebuild is underway, but I certainly understand the inconvenience. I sincerely apologize that you did not receive advanced notice of the situation prior to your booking and stay.

I've made note of your comments about bathroom ventilation and hallway noise. The safety of our guests is among our highest ongoing concerns. Being a family friendly hotel, and having many families with children regularly staying with us, heavily influenced our decision to secure guest room windows.

I'm glad to hear your enjoyed your stay, that you found your accommodations clean/comfortable, and that you felt as though your stay was a good value. Thanks again for your comments. I hope you'll visit us again when our beautiful new pool area is complete and that you'll find your next stay with us nothing less than exceptional.

Chris Gorgoni
Manager

Been to Marseilles Hotel? Share your experiences!