“OK for short stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Marseilles Hotel

Save Saved
You added Marseilles Hotel to your Saves list
Marseilles Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1741 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #116 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
UK
“OK for short stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We booked this directly with the hotel in October last year and were never advised that the pool was being renovated during our stay. We only found out via trip advisor and by that time it was too late to get a better deal.
However saying that we found our stay adequate, not exceptional.
We had a two bed room opposite the lifts which was very noisy during the night, also all the doors slammed and we had disturbed sleep every night either doors slamming or people shouting and banging on doors when they came in at 5am.
The lack of outside sitting space was disappointing it would have been nice to sit outside in the early evening but we were told we could only use the hotel pool area next door up to 6pm.
We used the pool next door and the beach which we found to be OK .
The room was clean and looked out to the next door hotel wall.
The window did not open and there was no ventilation in the bathroom which was rather uncomfortable as it was about 5 feet square and steamed up very quickly.
A coffee maker was provided which was appreciated.
We thought it was probably value for money as South Beach is very expensive, but don't expect anything more than basic.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs and ask for a room away from the elevators.
Chris G, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us here at the Marseilles Hotel. We appreciate your patronage and your feedback.

We're keenly aware of the inconveniences posed to our guests by the renovation of our pool area. As you know, we have partnered with the hotel next door to provide our guests with pool and beach access while our rebuild is underway, but I certainly understand the inconvenience. I sincerely apologize that you did not receive advanced notice of the situation prior to your booking and stay.

I've made note of your comments about bathroom ventilation and hallway noise. The safety of our guests is among our highest ongoing concerns. Being a family friendly hotel, and having many families with children regularly staying with us, heavily influenced our decision to secure guest room windows.

I'm glad to hear your enjoyed your stay, that you found your accommodations clean/comfortable, and that you felt as though your stay was a good value. Thanks again for your comments. I hope you'll visit us again when our beautiful new pool area is complete and that you'll find your next stay with us nothing less than exceptional.

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
SAN DIEGO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I stayed for business in February. The hotel is average. The pool area was under construction...and they charged for the facilities (extra). The service for breakfast was non-existent. The room windows do not open, and they should for the age and location of the hotel. The location is the only saving grace for this flophouse in South Beach.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Chris G, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your recent stay and especially for your feedback. We are working hard to complete the renovations of what will be our beautiful new pool and cabana area. In the meantime, we're accommodating our guests with pool and beach access through a partnership with the neighboring hotel. The Resort Fee covers a number of amenities, including free passes for 2 beach lounges and umbrella (a $35 value), Wi-Fi, happy hour in the lobby bar, use of the business center computer/printer, and unlimited local calls. I apologize if it wasn't made clear for you all that was included in the charge as well as the inconvenience presented by our property improvement project.

Although it's an inconvenience for guests our that would like to enjoy the beach air, the windows in our guest rooms are secured to ensure the safety of our guests-- one of our highest priorities.

Needless to say, when a guest elects to use the word "flophouse" to describe our hotel, it prompts my complete attention and desire to know how we could be doing better. I would love for you to contact me at guestservices@gomiamibeach.com with more details on where we missed the mark for you, and how we might improve our services for a future stay.

Thanks again for your comments and honesty; they're both valuable and appreciated.

Spring Lake Heights, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Booked on line at Hotels.com. Beautiful pictures i must say.
paid a premium for valentines day week end. unfortunatly no one told us pool has been empty for several weeks and was undercontruction.
back of property was in such disrepair you have to go to an adjecent hotel to access beach!
not funny, no apologies made and no compensation offered.
i got royally screwed. dont let it happen to you.

Chris G, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

I apologize that information regarding our pool renovations was not made available to you prior to booking your stay with us. While we are partnering with our neighboring hotel to offer our guests pool and beach access until the construction of is complete, I can certainly understand how not knowing about the situation before your arrival must have been disappointing, to say the least.

We provide all third party booking sites with information/updates regarding the pool renovation and timing. After reading your review, I double-checked the information that Hotels.com provides for our hotel and confirmed -- you are absolutely right.

I've sent a message to our internal offices so they can request that Hotels.com make the necessary clarifications. The notice is published on our hotel website and even though the information posted by other sites about our hotel is not 100% within our ability to control, I am sincerely sorry that you were not made aware of the pool construction before you checked in.

I hope you'll come visit again once the construction is done and let us wow you with what will be our beautiful new pool and cabana area.

Manchester, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

This hotel is in a fantastic location right behind the beach but it's more of a 2 star not 4...way over priced, we paid over 260 for this place not worth 100. If you can get it for cheap price it's fine but don't waste 260 for it, much nicer hotels for less on beach.

Chris G, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Though you were pleased with our location, I'm sorry to hear that you were generally displeased with your recent stay. I would love to hear more about your stay and what you feel we could be doing better. If you have some time, please feel free to contact me at guestservices@gomiamibeach.com. I'd love to hear your thoughts on what how we could better meet or exceed your expectations.

Novato, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

The hotel's pool, workout room and other areas of the hotel are under construction and they still have the audacity to charge a $16.50 facilities fee. When I complained about this they mentioned that I could use the pool next door and the workout facility at another hotel two blocks away.
Nice location with okay rooms but they have little idea of what service means.
Somewhere between POOR and AVERAGE is about how I'd rate this place,

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Sterling, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

The hotel is on prime real estate with access to beach. At the time the beach access and the restaurant was closed - which I found out only after making reservation coming to check-in. The parking is $35/day, without valet service, one block away (self service as long as there is spot - open air parking). There was one person behind the front desk to take care of all check-ins, check-outs and complaints. Originally the reservation was not confirmed because on Sun afternoon, staff is not available.. so I lost 30 mins of day just standing in line. From the pictures, bathroom, etc seems upscale, but it is old hotel, maintained by minimum number of people. I got on the beach through hotel next by and saw single worker who was sleeping in reconstruction beach access.. Never again. I could understand the reconstruction but under different circumstances. And yes elevators are dirty, it seems like party hotel living on its own. As a cherry on top I made reservation to ocean front, and the room was not available, looking at dirty narrow alley, echoing all street noise.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Chris G, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post some feedback about your recent stay with us. At the Marseilles Hotel, it's important to me that all of our guests have a pleasant and enjoyable stay and I'm very sorry to hear that you were left disappointed with your room and overall guest experience.

We've published alerts about the renovations on our website and and with our various booking affiliates and agencies. I certainly understand how the pool area reconstruction can be an inconvenience. For that reason, we've partnered with our neighboring hotel in order to provide pool and beach access while we finish what will be our new and beautiful pool / cabana areas.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to send in your thoughts. I will certainly keep them in mind as we go forward. If you're ever in the South Beach area again, I hope you'll stop by and check out the new pool area once it's completed. I would love another opportunity to "wow" you with our service and accommodations.

Chris
Plymouth, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

The hotel had clean rooms but filthy windows everywhere. No attention to details. The elevators are dirty and the outdoor dining is also. The entrance doors are filthy too. No pool or access to beach but you can use the hotel next door. Walls are thin so you can hear everything outside. Right in the center of the action. Great for spring break for college kids.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Marseilles Hotel? Share your experiences!