“pool has been under construction for weeks” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Marseilles Hotel

Save Saved
You added Marseilles Hotel to your Saves list
Marseilles Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1741 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #119 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
Spring Lake Heights, New Jersey
“pool has been under construction for weeks”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Booked on line at Hotels.com. Beautiful pictures i must say.
paid a premium for valentines day week end. unfortunatly no one told us pool has been empty for several weeks and was undercontruction.
back of property was in such disrepair you have to go to an adjecent hotel to access beach!
not funny, no apologies made and no compensation offered.
i got royally screwed. dont let it happen to you.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Chris G, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

I apologize that information regarding our pool renovations was not made available to you prior to booking your stay with us. While we are partnering with our neighboring hotel to offer our guests pool and beach access until the construction of is complete, I can certainly understand how not knowing about the situation before your arrival must have been disappointing, to say the least.

We provide all third party booking sites with information/updates regarding the pool renovation and timing. After reading your review, I double-checked the information that Hotels.com provides for our hotel and confirmed -- you are absolutely right.

I've sent a message to our internal offices so they can request that Hotels.com make the necessary clarifications. The notice is published on our hotel website and even though the information posted by other sites about our hotel is not 100% within our ability to control, I am sincerely sorry that you were not made aware of the pool construction before you checked in.

I hope you'll come visit again once the construction is done and let us wow you with what will be our beautiful new pool and cabana area.

Chris Gorgoni
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Manchester, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

This hotel is in a fantastic location right behind the beach but it's more of a 2 star not 4...way over priced, we paid over 260 for this place not worth 100. If you can get it for cheap price it's fine but don't waste 260 for it, much nicer hotels for less on beach.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Chris G, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Though you were pleased with our location, I'm sorry to hear that you were generally displeased with your recent stay. I would love to hear more about your stay and what you feel we could be doing better. If you have some time, please feel free to contact me at guestservices@gomiamibeach.com. I'd love to hear your thoughts on what how we could better meet or exceed your expectations.

Chris Gorgoni
Manager
Novato, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

The hotel's pool, workout room and other areas of the hotel are under construction and they still have the audacity to charge a $16.50 facilities fee. When I complained about this they mentioned that I could use the pool next door and the workout facility at another hotel two blocks away.
Nice location with okay rooms but they have little idea of what service means.
Somewhere between POOR and AVERAGE is about how I'd rate this place,

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Sterling, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

The hotel is on prime real estate with access to beach. At the time the beach access and the restaurant was closed - which I found out only after making reservation coming to check-in. The parking is $35/day, without valet service, one block away (self service as long as there is spot - open air parking). There was one person behind the front desk to take care of all check-ins, check-outs and complaints. Originally the reservation was not confirmed because on Sun afternoon, staff is not available.. so I lost 30 mins of day just standing in line. From the pictures, bathroom, etc seems upscale, but it is old hotel, maintained by minimum number of people. I got on the beach through hotel next by and saw single worker who was sleeping in reconstruction beach access.. Never again. I could understand the reconstruction but under different circumstances. And yes elevators are dirty, it seems like party hotel living on its own. As a cherry on top I made reservation to ocean front, and the room was not available, looking at dirty narrow alley, echoing all street noise.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Chris G, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post some feedback about your recent stay with us. At the Marseilles Hotel, it's important to me that all of our guests have a pleasant and enjoyable stay and I'm very sorry to hear that you were left disappointed with your room and overall guest experience.

We've published alerts about the renovations on our website and and with our various booking affiliates and agencies. I certainly understand how the pool area reconstruction can be an inconvenience. For that reason, we've partnered with our neighboring hotel in order to provide pool and beach access while we finish what will be our new and beautiful pool / cabana areas.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to send in your thoughts. I will certainly keep them in mind as we go forward. If you're ever in the South Beach area again, I hope you'll stop by and check out the new pool area once it's completed. I would love another opportunity to "wow" you with our service and accommodations.

Chris
Plymouth, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

The hotel had clean rooms but filthy windows everywhere. No attention to details. The elevators are dirty and the outdoor dining is also. The entrance doors are filthy too. No pool or access to beach but you can use the hotel next door. Walls are thin so you can hear everything outside. Right in the center of the action. Great for spring break for college kids.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Kansas City, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Here now for a business trip and came a day early to relax by the pool and on the beach. Well, that's not happening! They don't bother to tell you when you make your reservation or even when you check in that the pool and entire area towards the beach is completely demolished! The hotel inself isn't under construction, but there is no outside access except the front patio. To get to the beach you have to go through the hotel next door or go down the street. When I booked an oceanfront hotel I assumed I'd have easy access to the beach, nope. It's a nice place and the staff is great, but be fore-warned, don't stay here if you want to do anything pool related...

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Cambridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Staff were all helpful and friendly.. Breakfast out front was good. Rates compared to other hotels in area made us choose this one, and we were happy. Don't know that I would upgrade to the "Oceanview" next time, didn't realize we would be so far from ocean, and that we were overlooking the empty pool, construction zone. Bed was comfortable, modern bathroom with shower only. No fridge or microwave, but maybe that is normal in Miami. Doors all slam shut, gets loud all evening. Like trying new places, but would definitely consider this hotel again. Thank you for a great first visit to Miami.

Room Tip: To save money, maybe skip "Oceanview" don't know that I consider it worth it for this...