“Beautiful hotel, great staff!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marseilles Hotel

Save Saved
You added Marseilles Hotel to your Saves list
Marseilles Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1741 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #113 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Miami Beach, Florida, United States
“Beautiful hotel, great staff!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

At the very last minute, my boyfriend and I decided to spend a night in Miami Beach. As most hotels were overpriced or fully booked, we decided to get one of these mystery deals offered by bookit.com. Mystery deals are offers made my tour operators and travel agents, and basically work like this: you know the location, the price, the hotel's star rating, but you ignore the name of the property you have been assigned until after you paid; and so we found out we were staying at the hotel Marseille, on Collins Avenue! We couldnt hope for a better location!! We got at the hotel pretty late, around 9pm, and were welcomed and greeted by a lovely receptionist. After giving our booking details and confirmation number we were surprised to find out that our booking was nowhere to be found! While I was trying to reach Bookit.com (completely useless as the wait time was approx. 45 mins, and they never did pick up!), the receptionist, seeing our disappointment and our urge to check in as we were expected for dinner, called for her manager, a young gentleman who immediately took action: he offered for us to check in and promised the hotel will solve the problem directly with the travel agent, as I had paid my room, and that any internal disfunction should not impact on our stay! He instructed the receptionist to check us in, and left us in good hands! It was his birthday that night, and we did not feel like he was rushing to get rid of us, at the contrary, he took the time to sort out our problem, and we felt given the attention any guest deserves! We then proceeded to check in, and again surprise: the receptionist upgrades us to a suite! We paid a pretty low rate to start with, but seeing all the stress we had gone through, she just had the kindness to make our stay a little better! The room was stunning! Huge space, jacuzzi, super comfortable bed, excellent amenities, the lighting contributed to making the room even more stunning! I believe the suite we had was at 5 star standards! During the night, we were assisted by the front desk when we wanted to order a late meal, he provided us with the menu from a nearby italian restaurant who delivered directly to our room, helped us find the closest grocery store, etc.. The morning after, we presented ourselves for check out over an hour late, the manager did not charge us any extra, he conveyed the message that everything was sorted with the travel agent, and proceeded with the check out. We asked if we could still use the hotel's pool and beach access for the day and he accepted without discussion: "make yourselves at home!" was his answer. What all of these lovely people working at the Marselles ignored, is that my boyfriend and I are both hoteliers working in Hotels in Florida, and having worked in a bunch of hotels, we could totally assess their level of service. At no point have we mentioned anything about us working in the industry, we were just a couple of guests having a bad time with their travel agent, and yet, I can tell the way the situation was handles was EXEMPLARY! I have worked in 5 star hotels mostly, and I wish our FO staff was as caring and guest oriented! The charm of this hotel is incredible, yet its staff takes it to another level! Great level of service, great value, a MUST TRY! If I hadn't moved to Miami permanently, I would have stayed at the Marseilles every time I would have gone for a visit!

Room Tip: Worth every penny you spend!

608 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
Torquay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I booked into hotel for 2 nights but only stayed 1 night as I was generally disappointed with the hotel as it appeared to be undergoing a major refurbishment and the builders were noisy, the air con was faulty and couldn't be turned off leading to a cold and noisy night. On check out I was offered a suite but didn't want to stay. Management were called to authorise a refund on wifi but they didn't want to speak to me which doesn't demonstrate a good attitude to customer services. The bedroom was fine and the ensuite was very good and I'm sure that the hotel will be much improved when all the works are complete. The hotel also has a pleasant little garden which has some relaxing hammocks and a gate leading straight onto the beach.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This was a perfect place. We had to have 3 rooms for 1 night. We were all extremely surprised and very pleased with our stay. After reading reviews, we knew that there would be construction, but honestly, we did not hear anything. Since we were not in the room that much but on the beach / pool / shopping. We did get 3 of the renovated rooms and they were beautiful. Julien at the front desk was extremely nice and helpful. We ate lunch in the front area and were extremely surprised at how good the food was. For the price and location, it was a great stay. I hope that they do not increase the price too much after the renos are complete because we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Thank you to all Marseilles staff , my bf and me when spend the holiday season and had the best trip, The restaurant is amazing good garlic shrimp and smoking salmon bagel for breakfast , european french owner really nice to talk with. The barman Sergio give the best service all type of great drink and the biggest shoots. Manager AAron really nice to talk to manage everything really good because all staff from luggage carrer, valet and ect or amazing. For sure going back, the acces to the beach and the pool in the back yard where great with hamak and litttle teepee in the back yard to relax. It was really cozy , a buch of liquors store 2 minutes walking.

All the clubs are accesible with a few minute walking no need no cabs, Walgreens two minute away for morning hang over (lol) you guys should sell advil or any headink relieve at the marseilles is the only correction i ll of bring. I saw at the back the doing a few renovation on the patio so im pretty sure thats the confort level will upgrade even if it was perfect for us. The room was amazingly clean no carpet nice clean floors, big flat screen ocean view room even if we didnt pay for this one when we reserve so thank you to everyone, from a canadien couple that is back in the snow but we be working hard all year to come back spend the holiday wirh you guys. Thanks to everybody Merci

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed and loved it! Although, construction did start early we have to remember that improvements are being made. We even stayed an extra night and there was no hassle. They have 2 bars and I highly recommend using the front bar. The staff was great and friendly. I am going back and I am staying again. The rooms were updated and the bathroom was awesome. The windows do not raise but I did have a view of the ocean. Make sure you get the key code from the front desk for after hour beach trips.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

LOCATION:
Location is great, close to everything in South Beach. The hotel is beach front so just walk across a small path and you're on the beach. This hotel doesn't have their own umbrellas or deck chairs so you have to pay extra to another company for them. Lots of places to eat and drink nearby.

SERVICE:
Good, not incredible though. Friendly staff that don't really go further than they have to in their job description, but they're perfectly happy. Unfortunately I was at the pool and tried to order drinks from the empty bar and charge them back to the room but the girl said 'oh I don't know how to do that'. Isn't that one of the most important things to know as the pool bartender? Anyway she worked it out after a while.

ROOMS:
The rooms are perfectly fine. The bathrooms are modern and fantastic, obviously updated recently! The rooms are very clean but the furniture is a bit dated and too dark for such light and bright rooms.

RESTAURANT:
The restaurant at the front is good, but not amazing. Lots of good places nearby.

Room Tip: Definitely get a beach front room if you're going to stay here. It would be a pretty depressing...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Gainesville, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here during the BCS champinship weekend so this was one of the cheapest places we could find. Great location walking distance or a short cab ride to almost anything and it is ocean front. We did not know that they were going through a remodel and that they would start work around 8:30-9am. Not good when you are on a get away from the kids for a few days. The pictures of the rooms on the web site do not look anything like the room that we stayed in or any that I looked into (much much worse) the carpets were dirty and shower pressure was awful the walls are paper thin so we could hear the conversations and other things from our neighbors as I am sure they heard from us. Our toilet ran all day and night. The tiki bar was nice also the cabana and hammocks were a nice way to relax the pool was also very decent. We did not eat here so I cannot comment on the food quality. There were some younger kids staying here on our floor(lucky us) I doubt that they were legal age to rent a room but they were very loud late into the night and also someone was banging on our door one morning at about 0600. The beds were comfortable but again hard to sleep with all of the noise. So in closing , the value was decent not worth the condition of the place the location was great but if we visit South Beach again we will not stay here unless some major changes have been made.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marseilles Hotel? Share your experiences!