“A really great 3 star South Beach hotel!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Marseilles Hotel

Save Saved
You added Marseilles Hotel to your Saves list
Marseilles Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1741 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #119 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Rockaway Park, New York
“A really great 3 star South Beach hotel!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

My fiance and I stayed at the Marseilles Hotel for 4 days in January and were really pleased! We had actually booked the San Juan across the street but I decided to make a very last minute change to the Marseilles after looking at some gorgeous pictures and reading some good reviews. So glad! The location of this hotel cannot be beat, it is in the heart of South Beach, in the area where all the upscale hotels are. Its literally sandwiched between South Beach's most famous properties! It is an older, art-deco style hotel and does show its wear but its very clean. A lot of people complain about its old appearance, but having stayed in South Beach before let me tell you that this is characteristic of most of miami's art deco properties. They are old! If you want brand new you'll have to stay at Loews or the ritz and pay much more. This property shares that same fabulous beach as the expensive properties and the price cant be beat (unless you want to go a liiiiitle lower but stay in an absolute dump, like my previously reviewd Hotel Claremont on Collins). Rooms at Marseilles are a bit small but clean w comfortable bedding, a/c, fridge, tv and large closet. Some have balconies. Tub/shower combo in bathroom. Theres an on-site restaurant and bar, though we didnt eat there. Free internet in lobby. The pool is fantastic! Was never crowded, very attractive courtyard and another area between pool and beach that will make you feel like your on an island, complete with tropical pool bar, grill, hammocks, looks like a little caribbean beach bar back there! One final plus for this hotel is that they have a parking lot on the next block. Almost no SoBe hotels have parking and finding parking on the street is next to impossible. It was 25 a night but sooo worth it as we were able to explore a lot of S. Florida all on our own whenever we liked. Plus, self parking was an option. We liked not having to deal w the valet's everytime we wanted to go somewhere. This might just be the only hotel that doesnt make you use the valet in Miami. I highly recommend Marseilles Hotel. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
jvalera, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2012
Dear KITTEN11694,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write a review on your last visit to Miami Beach. Working in South Beach it is mighty hard not to fall in love with the Art Deco charm South Beach and its hotels are known for, as is just as hard to understand people that do not, as well. We like to consider ourselves as an oasis of hospitality in a place that draws thousands of visitors each day. Our architectural charm, friendly staff, and location really set us apart. Being directly on the ocean and so close to so much of what is happening in South Beach, we like to thing that we meet many of the expectations of the first-time and seasoned travelers that come to South Beach each year. We really appreciate your comments and hope that you will not let too much time pass before you visit us once more.

Asst. General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights. YIKES!!first little disclaimer: not a complainer... especially in beautiful south beach where the hotel or room shouldn't be a big deal because you should be outside enjoying everything MIA has to offer. That being said, the following is sort of an FYI. First impression was HORRIBLY filthy carpet once we stepped off onto the 5th floor, which unfortunately continued into our room. tattered, grimy Venetian blinds in the bathroom(btw guys...these are replaceable for $2) , broken up tiles, crappy grout job. the bathroom had no ventilation, but again I'm a innovator, I went to open the window...alas it was broken and wouldn't release the stagnant steam bath. Cool, I politely used my shave gel can to prop the window open...until it fell out the window to the balcony below of room 409. Staff was helpful...got my can back, needed it for dear life so we could air that bathroom out! Tub was stopped up, took 45 min/ shower to drain. Poor husband was second in line, had to shower ankle deep in my old water...what a love, he never complained either. We found a pacifier under the bed on our second night( no babies here!) So clearly cleanliness is an issue.

Bed was hard, and super duper loud and creaky. Basically everything is Just very old, very much in need of some updates. Great value if you aren't spending the day in your room.

Little spot across the street, Catalina had great cocktails, and the bistro next door to that was open 24/7 for great late night eats. Central location, great beach access. Pool is clean, but pool deck not so much. tiki bar ok food, staff was always friendly.

Will I stay here again? Not likely, will cough up the few extra bucks and go someplace nicer.

On a budget, or spring break? Then you'll make this place work.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear MRSMITCHELLRN,
As I read your review I can definitely see that you have a knack for not letting inconveniences hurt your funny bone, then I see that as your user name ends in "RN" well you must have the patience and heart to deal with many things. I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations while here. Reading your review I saw several instances where we failed to correct an issue, and that should not be. Although like you said, many come to South Beach to enjoy the beaches primarily, your lodging should not fall short, ever. We have since your visit in April done several changes to bathrooms and windows in many of our rooms as we are 100% on board with the notion that our hotel although surrounded by marvelous beaches and points of interest, needs to be as acclimating as what surrounds it. I can assure you that if you were to give us another try you would not find these things again, please feel free to email me at jvalera@gomiamibeach.com regarding any aspect of your stay.

Bruxelles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed here just one night as part of a package. The reception staff were friendly. The room was OK, but not very large for 4, and relatively clean, but several of the lights did not work and there was no water at all in the small kitchenette. The swimming pool that evening was busy with some sort of party not reserved for hotel guests so we were unable to use it. Others of tip advosor have cited the position as a reason to stay here but to be honest there are plently of other hotels here with equally good access to the beach. There was no parking available the night we were there but they did direct us to another parking close by which actually worked out much cheaper. The food at the restauant in front was OK, but no children's menu and it took a long time to arrive. I would certainly not choose to stay her again, especially with kids.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear LIKETOTRAVEL01,
First of all, thank you for taking the time to write a comment about your stay. I will have you know that although I appreciate your review, AI cannot say that I agree with it, particularly because as i write this I could hear many children in my lobby playing, laughing and enjoying themselves. I know that when you visited us here there were parties being held here, as we all know, South Beach is a place where young people like to have fun, but I will have you know that nothing illegal took place other than young people dancing to music in beachwear. As to the children's menu for this I will apologize, nevertheless, our restaurant has been revamped and now it is called GAVROCHE ON THE BEACH and I will assure you there are kid-friendly options on the menu. I am happy you felt our front desk staff was friendly and although we could not offer you parking, they directed you elsewhere to it. I hope you come back to South Beach and that you stay with us.

Franklin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

We paid $200 a night for a beachfront hotel with a pool. The hotel was having a party in the pool area, they charged non hotel guests a cover charge and played dance music (no words just beats) so loud that you couldnt talk to the person next to you. There was a sandy area behind the pool with a bar and a grill but they were playing some kind of rap I had never heard before. This rap was so vulgor that I had to take my family somewhere else. It was unreal, "suck on my *#W^# and I will chew on your )&^%&%^, this is not the kind of music that would be appropriate for mature adults or children. You have to pass through both of these areas to get to the beach. The drinks and the food at the grill were ridiculously priced. The restaurant area is just the front porch of the hotel. When we complained about the uselessness of the pool since they were having a party there we were told we could walk a block down the road to another hotel and use their pool. We did this and when we returned to the hotel the cops were there arresting a guy with warrants that had fallen through some glass and almost got hit by a car trying to cross the street to avoid the police. About an hour later another cop showed up to respond to a fight on the first floor of the hotel. The whole fifth floor smelled like pot. This was a terrible place to stay and I would not recommend it at all.

Room Tip: If you have a choice pick a room far from the pool and plan on not going to the pool.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear ROBERTM,
Thank you for your words. I am sorry you experienced this, as sometimes partygoers get a bit out of hand. I will also have you know that the Marseilles does not host these parties anymore.

Respectfully,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I have stayed twice at the Marseilles within the past 18 months. Both stays were entirely satisfactory. The location is ideal for guests who want to enjoy easy beach access, a pleasant pool, and proximity to Lincoln Road amenities. I have also stayed at other South Beach hotels, including the nearby Richmond, which I would also recommend. Personally, I'd rather have a few extra bucks in my pocket (you always seem to need extra bucks in South Beach) and compromise just a bit on minor cosmetic issues. I have found the Marseilles to be reliable, affordable, no-frills choice on Collins Avenue.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear GMURPHYJCAP,

Thank you for your comments. We would like to let all of tripadvisor.com's readers that sometimes we have really great specials and some of our guests really get a great deal, nevertheless, we are by no means a budget hotel per se. We are an oceanfront property and one of the closest hotels to Lincoln Rd. Mall and the Miami Beach Convention Ctr. Our hotel caters to families, destination travelers, convention attendees, and businessmen. As a hotel that is constantly improving we do not take cosmetic issues lightly, and we are always improving our facilities. Thank you for taking the time to write.

Cape Coral, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Found a good deal through Travelocity for this place, good price compared to many others along the beach. If you don't mind walking through clouds of pot smoke in the hallway and a party packed pool this is the place for you. This place is a little old, with terrible parking options. It has 8 floors, we stayed on the 6th so it wasn't too noisy. Hotel does have pool and towels available to take to the beach, has gate going directly to Miami beach and at the end of ocean drive which was convenient. The pool area was super loud and crowded with party people, seemed like the party place once we walked out and saw the surrounding places. People at the front desk were not good at all, one stood at the desk just texting and ignoring guests altogether.

Price wise what I found through Travelocity and location, might be another visit option if I need a cheap option

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear SCUBAGAL10,
Thank you for taking the time to write to us. We do occasionally place great deals on the internet, and it seems you were able to find one through that specific website. As I read your comments, I can tell you that we no longer host those parties here at the Marseilles, and I apologize for the front desk agent that ignored you. We are currently making many changes in our structure to prevent moments like these, I hope we are able to have you back for to experience them.

Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Be careful. This hotel has some rooms that are updated and some that are not. My room had dirty carpet , and the shower didn't drain properly. Although it's tucked among may nicer hotels, don't be fooled.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear MONDI5,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry that you felt this way about your room. We have made many changes to the rooms at the Marseilles, and we do not attempt to be tucked in or to fool anyone. We do admit to having made many changes and some of our newer room product looks spectacular, but this by no means symbolizes that the remainder of our rooms fall short of our standard. Thank your for taking the time to write to us.

Asst. General Manager

Been to Marseilles Hotel? Share your experiences!