“Ok place to stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Marseilles Hotel

You added Marseilles Hotel to your Saves list
Marseilles Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1741 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #126 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Ok place to stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Rooms are really small. Need to speak with management to get a decent room.
Locationwise is just amazing. Right on the beach.
Be careful of the restaurant n the bar at the front n back. They know how to rip u off. Make sure u remind them of the happy hour else they will be super expensive.
I was happy but not really coz it was a really tiny room. I come from NYC n I understand that location is everything even then it was expensive.
I would stay again at this location mainly for the convenience of the convention center in a very short distance.

• Stayed February 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

I'm pretty easygoing when it comes to hotels. I don't get upset about things like fewer towels than expected because I know I can call down to the front desk and get things rectified pretty easily. The Marseilles is currently under renovation, and it's a good thing because it certainly needs it.

I wouldn't be so dramatic as to say "worst hotel ever" but it's pretty run down. The beautiful pool and beach area are undermined but some seriously unpleasant attributes in the rooms that have yet to be renovated. I know the General Manager reads these reviews on occasions so if you happen to read this one, I'm asking you please - Go to room #617, take those coverings off the bed and burn them. There is just no excuse to leave something that gross in a guest's room.

More here, if anyone is interested: http://lifewithaparasitewinefund.blogspot.com/2012/02/review-of-hotel-marseilles-miami-beach.html

Room Tip: Before booking, ask if the renovations are complete. If not, pick somewhere else!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

and I have stayed at Motel 6 as well few times.
I don't write reviews at all but I had to make people aware about this.

After changing my room and complaining 5-6 times over my 2 night stay the room still stayed HOT....the temperature was never below 71 degrees. As I was not in the room much the hotel supposedly sent someone to fix it but I doubt it.

So my recommendation for heavy traveler unless you are getting an insane deal and/or the location is what you need don't even look at this hotel (the latter is why I chose this)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Davenport
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

When I booked this hotel I had read all the reviews they didn’t seem that bad, I reserved it because I loved the convenience and how close it was to everything and the beach. I am aware that the majority of the hotels in Miami are old, but some are kept in good shape, not the case of this one. The hallways are dirty and smelly, doors and walls are cracked, Deck seemed unpolished. The Room oh my! The room was not worth my money I feel like if I would’ve paid a third of what I paid I would’ve gotten better quality in a cheaper hotel. The quality was poor, the room was smelly, the bed covers smelled too, the closet made me gag I had to cover my nose just to get in that closet and grab the iron. The bathroom door was chipped, the tile was cracked, and the faucets didn’t turn well enough it took me forever to get water in the shower. Also, the doors were so heavy and the room walls were so thin that the opening and closing of any door in that hallway was ridiculously loud, I tried to take a nap and I felt like somebody was walking in and out of my room. The back patio and the pool seemed decent and we love the chairs outside. However, I was not happy about this hotel, breakfast is expensive. The only good thing was that the staff was friendly they allowed me to park the car a little longer which was great. I would not stay in this hotel again…

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Our vacation was rebooked at Marseilles when the Sadigo Court suddenly closed down. Tania, the reservationist went above and beyond, getting us resettled and even assisting with transportation questions. Reuben and Keisha were just fantastic, orienting us to the area and making us feel welcome. Our houskeeper (I think her name was Virginia) was so sweet and thoughtful. The staff takes pride in their jobs and it shows.

The Marseille is an older hotel with charm and warmth. The beds and furniture were all updated and comfortable. Some rooms need some TLC but this did not diminish our stay whatsoever or the lack of balconies because the view of the ocean and direct access was such a plus. The TIKI bar area is one of the best features, with a very lively bar tender and bike rentals, hammocks and nice seating arrangements.

The pool area was also very nice, although we opted for the beach. The chair/umbrella rentals were less expensive than competitors and very convenient.

Maxines just across the street is a fantastic place for any meal. Lincoln road is two blocks away and what can I say, its a fantastic location and will save you on cab fares. The front lobby is very pretty with a nice old fashioned wood bar that is very inviting.

The only improvements we would suggest is correction of peeling paint on ceilings and in the bath and cracked tiles. However, we understood the hotel is renovating rooms constantly. This was a very minor issue.

Noise (voices) do carry through the walls and was a concern one night.
Happy Hours advertised in the elevators are not valid during holidays.
The TV channels were blurry and although the satellite was supposed to be adjusted, it did not correct while we were there. Not a big issue because we did not come to SoBe to watch TV.

Overall we loved the Marseilles and would definately return. Great place, nice people and fantastic location. We have fond memories of the fantastic Mojitos!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room or elect to see the room first.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

My first time in Miami, we got a great deal by booking just a few days before flying out there (December 2010).

Room was quite basic, but very comfortable, bed was very springy, but I slept like a log.

Hotel, is on the beach, has a great pool area and fab bar that serves some tasty food at reasonable prices.

We stayed for 3 nights, and had no issues at all.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Herselt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Nice hotel, we were informed before our arrival that there were works planned on our floor during our stay.
Hotel was situated right at the beach and nearby some great places to go out.
Staff was very friendly and helpfull. There was 'valet' parking (although we had to park our car ourself) but not at the hotel. The fact that it was not at the hotel and we had to walk to the parking garage made it in our opinion a bit expensive.
One problem we had was that our room was situated in the vicinity of the elevator. There was a group of people also on our floor who came back to the hotel in the middle of the night making a lot of noise. Both my husband and myself were woken up by them.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Marseilles Hotel? Share your experiences!