“Tired but good location” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Marseilles Hotel

You added Marseilles Hotel to your Saves list
Marseilles Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1741 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #123 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
UK
“Tired but good location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

I stayed in a single room which was OK but really outdated and looked old. Breakfast was not included. good location if you are going to the conference there... the main exhibition hall is 8 min walk from there and the beach is just a 2 min walk.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Polish first
Columbus, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

The thing we liked about this hotel was not only the location, which is beachfront, but it's one of the few hotels we stayed in that had tile on the floors.

Granted, I can only speak to one room, but with all of the humidity in Miami, tile works great as you don't have that carpet soaking up the moisture in the air and causing a musty smell.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
jvalera, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2011
Dear DJC1968,
Thank you for your comments. As a historic Art Deco Hotel many of our rooms do carry tile flooring, and one must agree there is a nice sensation about walking on a cool tile floor as you see a sunset from one of our oceanfront rooms. Just a thought. . .

Trondheim, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

Thanks for a nice stay. We were excited to be upgraded to a jacuzzi suite since we had recently been 3 months of volunteer work in Eastern Europe. The garden in the backyard was certainly a lovely oasis with hammocks between palm trees. The location is great!
But I have mixed feeling about this hotel.
We also experienced some negative things ... unfortunately. We did not get help with your luggage, then the staff had a bad back. Airconditioning was also faulty. It made ​​such noise that we could not talk normally together, nor sleep. We could not shut it off. We called down to reception and they said someone would come up within 30 minutes, but it never happened. We called 3 times ... nothing happened. Had to sleep with earplugs.
There were also minor incidents that had a negative impact, but they are not significant since we are not going back to Miami and this hotel.
The hotel is worn and, but has its charm and unique style. Great location.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear STRANDSONE,
Thank you for your comment and for your volunteer work. I wish we could have been exactly what you needed after all those months of hard work. You mention our back beach area and our location, many of our readers know how close we are to Lincoln Rd., Ocean Dr., and most importantly: the beach itself. As I read your comments, I can tell you the issues you had with A/C have been addressed, as we are always constantly looking to improve. I would also like to thank you for pointing out the issue of our bell staff. There is only one thing I do not agree with, well actually two; one is, that I do not understand how you can be so sure you will never be in Miami Beach again? The other issue, is that if you ever decide to come to Miami Beach, I would like for you to contact me as I would like to personally invite you back to my hotel so you can see the changes we are doing. I am sure you will see a huge difference.
luxembourg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

STAY AWAY FROM THE MARSEILLES HOTEL

We have been there from Aug. 3rd to Aug. 9th, 2011 and this has been one of our worse experience in all our live and the worst hotel we have never been in, in the US.

When arriving at the hotel, with something like 100 Kg of luggage, after two wonderfull weeks in Orlando and in the Keys, there was a member of the hotel staff who looked after us and said “I’m sorry, I’m not a valet, I have a bad back and I won’t help you”…… welcome to the Marseilles hotel.

In our room, which was a “Deluxe Oceantfront King room”, we immediately noticed that the door of the bathroom was broken and that it would be impossible to close it.

Then we discovered that the Internet connection did not work. When inquiring the staff at the reception, I got an answer letting me understand that everything was working properly and that it was probably myself who couldn’t use the Internet connection properly. Finally, the next day, in the middle of the day the connection did start to work, even if it continued to be regularly broken.

But this was only the start of the nightmare. At 6PM, when we wished to take a shower, we discovered there was no hot water. Again we complained, and half an hour later, someone knocked on the door to tell us it was fixed. And indeed, we have been able to get a shower. But after dinner, there was again no hot water in the room. The receptionist couldn’t help us and refused to change us room. We had to wait until the next day, when some maintenance staff was available, to be able to get a hot shower.

After all these issues, that were poisoning our stay, we asked to meet the hotel manager and we asked therefore during three consecutive days, but he never showed up.

Around the swimming pool, there are advices that it is forbidden to bring glass and food on the pool deck. This seems normal, for obvious hygienic purposes. But the hotel poolside Tiki bar, which is just behind the pool is serving food and we saw that some of the hotel guests were bringing the food around the pool and we could even find cold and fat fried potatoes on the deck itself as well as cigarette butts and ashes in the plants around the pool. And of course, all this happened under the supervision of some hotel staff.

We didn’t experienced the hotel restaurant, Chef Vincent, but after having read the advices on tripadvisor and after having seen the cleaningness of the kitchen, we carefully avoided the restaurant.

The hotel itself is perfectly situated, on the seafront, in Miami Beach, but it absolutely needs a deep restructuration before to be recommended to anyone. And the fact the management didn’t show up after we several times asked for a meeting is the proof of the lack of implication of the hotel management in service quality.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
jvalera, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
Dear ALAINDLUXEMBOURG,
As I read your comments, I can definitely see where we fell short of your expectations and for this I apologize. After visiting Orlando and Key West, Miami Beach should have been an accent to your vacation, and unfortunately it was not. Me and my staff feel very strongly about this, as we all take great care and efforts in to everything that comprises a guest's stay, including common areas by the pool, bathroom doors, etc.
As to the welcoming comment you received, I am so sorry that someone misrepresented us so poorly by telling you that they were not a valet. Our staff is trained to help and be friendly, and this definitely marked your stay. All I can tell you is that I jotted down all your comments and have shared them with the staff and managers of these respective departments in order to ensure this does not repeat itself.
Thank you for staying with us and for your comments.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011 via mobile

There's no sugar coating this one....this place sucks. The rooms are dirty (floors, bathroom, etc) the hallway is dirty and the elevator is dirty... I didn't even stay the night!

• Stayed August 2011
Ransomville, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

My husband and I and another couple had just went on a cruise together and when we got back into Miami we were looking to relax and have a wonderful fun filled day at the beach and have some drinks so we had booked a room at the Marseilles and ended up wasting almost our whole day. The best thing they did for us was hold our luggage for a couple hours while we went and explored. We got back to the hotel a little after check in time and proceeded to check in and head up to our room. The elevators were incredibly tiny and the only nice thing about the hotel was the first part of the lobby. We got into the room and not even 5 mins we noticed a giant cockroach sitting in bathroom!!!! They proceeded to tell us thats normal they come in through the drain and for the price of the hotel we cant really complain on south beach!! Terrible terrible service, wouldn't give our money back so we actually went across the street to The Catalina, received Excellent service and the room was awesome!! Dont go to this hotel!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
jvalera, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Dear JILLYBEANS4U,
Thank you for your comment. We take these kinds of issues very seriously here at the Marseilles Hotel, and although at first instance this kind of insect may spell a hygene issue, many of us have visited the cleanest of households and lodgnings, only to find that some of these critters are elusive and can hide and live basically anywhere. I apologize for the comment that was made, if that was the case, waterbugs, palmetto bugs, all look very similar to roaches, but are completely different. Needless to say, no one wants to make any of these things part of their vacation, and for this we apologize. The title to yourt comment, is a bit subjective, but we can understand what happens when things do not go as expected, and I am sure our readers can assimilate the differences between isolated incidents and patterns.
I am glad we were able to hold your bags for you, while you chose accomodations across the street. We are always looking for ways to improve and we will take into account your experience for future guests.

Respectfully,
Juan Valera III, AGM
Rockville, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

The lobby area was nice and smelled good. I thought I the rooms would be nice too. We had two rooms. The rooms are sooooooo old. The bathrooms were very old. There were two people in my room and three in my daughter's room. The maid kept leaving one washcloth and three towels. Now staying in South Beach you might take a couple showers a day. That was a problem. One room kept getting bugs. The management said we should expect that with the area we were in. The other room's air conditioning was broke. After we called, they came up to say they would have it fixed in 30 minutes. To make a long story short, it was never fixed. As a matter of fact, the whole floor had an air conditioning problem. We didn't find this out until we checked out and asked to speak to a manager to complain. The rooms look nothing like the pictures on their website. In one of the rooms, there was no comforter on the bed. I didn't feel comfortable at all sleeping so I slept in clothes on top of the bed. They charged our credit cards the wrong amounts and charged us twice. I must say that the general manager has been receptive and is working on refunding the money but had no explanation why this happened. We enjoyed the tiki bar area. Make sure you have plenty of bug spray when outside by the tiki bar area and in your room. I'm used to staying in chain hotels like Marriott, Hilton, etc. I know that I am guaranteed a certain amount of service and that the rooms are clean and kept up. I'm not used to staying in these dumps in South Beach

Room Tip: The rooms are old and look nothing like the picture on the website
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
jvalera, Manager at Marseilles Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Dear SUGARBABY815,
Once more I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you underwent while staying with us. I personally dealt with you and your party over the phone and in person, and I can understand your level of frustration. We want to clarify to you and the readers that as a tropical place, Miami Beach is bound to have tropical little visitors that seldom, yet sometimes make it past our security controls (vents, drains, under doors, etc.). We know the importance of cleanliness, otherwise we would not be in business competing amongst the 200 hotels located in Miami Beach. As for the A/C we apoloigize for this, we acted as fast as we could but we understand that in South Florida, A/C is a must. In the end, I personally took care of the mistakes with the credit cards, as well as the issues of your stay, and we thank you for leaving this comment. It serves as a constant reminder of where our attention should be, while still showing our human side.

Respectfully,
Juan Valera III, AGM
Marseilles Hotel

Been to Marseilles Hotel? Share your experiences!