“Great hostel” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Great hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I stayed in this hostel this week with my boyfriend, we stayed in a four bed mixed dorm. The facilities were nice and the hostel is in a great location.
We didn't know that the hostel bar was so popular- there was a 50ppl line out the door to get into the bar at 11:30pm on the Saturday. This is great if you want to party, but it was very loud. We were mostly disturbed by people leaving the premises at 2am more so than the disturbance from the loud music. I'm not sure if it's on the website or booking details and I just missed it, but visitors should be warned of the loud music/party (it may even entice those that want to join in).

There was one MAJOR downfall to our room that I hope the hostel can fix for future guests. I was in Bed 1 apartment 1. The air conditioning unit is literally sticking into the bunk over the bed, and is kinda boxed in so that all the cold air is stuck under the bunk. This means the people on the top bunks are uncomfortably hot, and those on the bottom are freezing cold (depending on how you work it with your fellow residents). It's really not a working situation- we all had terrible sleeps due to this. I hope this is only the design in this one apartment.

On the whole, a great hostel I would recommend.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Great, clean and welcoming place. Friendly staff, good beds and really a luxury hostel which surprises with nice parties in the evening and a relaxing pool. It is a 5 min walk from the beach and a 10 min walk from the strip.

Room Tip: maybe not ground level as some night it might be loud for a while
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

When I walked in the lobby is was calm and quiet . We were greeted with a smiling face . The room we stayed in , private bungalow , was perfect . The beds were comfy , but make sure to bring a pillow and blanket with you . The ac worked well in the bedroom but in the living room it was iffy, so if you get hot bring a fan . Our room was next to the pool so it was great being able to step outside and enjoy the weather . The hotel is also very close to the licoln mall and mid beach . Also , there is a machine by the door that leads to the pool, make sure to put a dollar in it and get some cool artwork from local Miami artists ! I'm glad we stayed at this hotel ( and the free breakfast was small selection but good )

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Palermo, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I stayed here for 2 nights, after a terrible experience in another hostel. We loved it! Cool place with cool people, nice and quite pool during the day, lively yard and bar during night. Price of food is a bit high. Clean and nice rooms, they are wide and well furnished, yet bathrooms are not up to the standards of the rest of the building. Breakfast could be better. Location is not a strong point (far from everything).

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
portsmouth, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a really cool and funky hotel. I was surprised and refreshed as a world traveler (and frequenter of the cookie cutter hotel chains) to stay here. The room was clean and retro. I did not stay in the dorm side as this hotel is also a hostel style. It was one block off the beach and Boardwalk. Really close to the Art Deco neighborhood and good eats. Another surprise. It was a Thursday night and I found the pool, bar and patio packed with a fun young crowd. I met some fun people. The bar staff was really forward and accommodating making sure every one was taken care of. They had a good "evening punch".
This hotel is not for everyone- if you are more adventurous, go for it. But if you need a primped hotel in all areas, stay elsewhere. The funky vibe and hostel components made it a little less polished, but really relaxed and comfortable.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
FreehandManagement, General Manager at Freehand Miami, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Hi there! Thanks for the review! We love that you had a great stay at the Freehand!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here for 4 nights from the 18th to the 22nd April.

I stayed in 4 bed dorm room, which was very clean and comfortable. It was a little more than i wanted to pay, however i understand the location is the reason. Therefore, i felt it was good value for money at the end of my stay.

Other good aspects:

- there is a really good bar and gardens on site, which seems to be a popular place for locals and visitors from outside the hostel. The website was raving about the cocktails and mixologists, which i took with a pinch of salt at first. However, the cocktails were amazing and really well made. Discounts if you are staying in the hostel :)

- my flight leaving Miami wasn't until 10pm on the day i was checking out. They had no issue storing my luggage and letting me hang out in the foyer of the hotel, using wifi and relaxing. I really appreciated this as I didn't fancy walking the streets and sweating my nuts off before a 8 hour flight. The foyer is actually a neat place to hang and i managed to charge my mobile devices here as opposed to the room (see negative comment below)

- 20-30 min walk to Lincoln Rd, Ocean Drive.

- You can take the Airport Flyer 150 Bus from Miami airport to this hostel for $2.65. They depart every 30 mins and takes approximately the same time to get to the Freehand Hostel. Same applies on returning to airport, although you have to take from the next block - 1-2 min walk.

My only negative comments was the lack of working power sockets in the room. Each bed had 3 power outlet sockets and none of them worked in the room! I actually read these same comments on a previous trip advisor review but didn't pay much attention. However, it was really frustrating not having any working power sockets and i complained to the staff every day i was there and nothing was done to rectify the issue. I felt this was unacceptable.

Apart from the above, i would strongly recommend this establishment for would be visitors to Miami.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Hello. Thank you for the feedback and review! We are happy to hear you enjoyed both the Freehand and the Broken Shaker! Hope to see you next time you’re in town!
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Freehand Miami is the most cool hostel in Miami, but it is the most unsafe too. And the the staff is not professional. Almost 2 months ago I was there, in a 4 bed dorm, that is comfortable and clean...but unsafe! I had my padlock opended/broken by someone who entered in the room. They dont have any control of the guest area, by the way theres a bar inside the hotel, so the clients of the bar can reach easily the rooms area. They dont have control of the guests inside the room - in my stay there was an extra guest in a room for 4, and 5 people inside!!! One tourist did not have checked out and decided to stay inside the room, and Freehand Miami did not checked it! This guy was out of his stay and his keys was working, opening all the doors!!!! About my locker being opened, and my padlock broken (someone moved my stuff inside - as I said: very UNSAFE), I asked the manager for the videos of the security cam, she said that it will be checked and that I will receive an email with refunds of my stay and the official answer of those problems...I am waiting for this email (almost 60 days have passed!).By the way, keep your eyes open! Another bad thing: the staff at the front desk: they cannot handle more than one guest at the same time, so if you have an emergency, like your padlock broken by someone, you have to wait in line... and they will only apologize and say "sorry, but I cannot do anything".

Room Tip: The rooms are ok, but totally unsafe, someone can enter in.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Hello. We are sorry to hear this – please contact management directly to discuss your concerns at cfurslew@thefreehand.com

Been to Freehand Miami? Share your experiences!