“Excellent hostel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Excellent hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Spent here 2 nights, one in a double room and the other in a dorm. Excellent atmosphere, great decoration, swimming pool, bar, not too far from the best places in Miami Beach, and really helpful managers.

The best beds I've seen in a hostel, really clean rooms and overall very tidy and organized.

I'll be going back there if I am back in Miami.

Room Tip: Double rooms are really worth the money and can be better than a hotel double room!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

315 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

If you are comparing this to other hostels, it's top notch. If you are getting a private room with bathroom and comparing to hotels, it's still pretty good. The decor is cool, the games and ping pong are fun. My only real issue was the noise. We were on the first floor and oh boy was it loud. There is a bar out back, so you could hear the people out there until the wee hours. Also, you could clearly hear every time someone shut a door, flushed a toilet or even shut the door to a stall in the shared bathroom. Also, the price for the private room is not that dissimilar to some hotels in the area. I would definitely come back, but I would probably check out other hotels in the area too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I am currently vacationing in Miami @ the freehand. When I actually booked this through hotels.com, I thought it was a hotel. Too late to change my reservation, I stayed at freehand learning also that hotels.com reserved me for a 8 female shared dormitory which I DID NOT want to do but when I go to freehand, I couldn't believe my eyes. From the receptionists, to the bar, pool... Everything was fantastic. I shared a room with 7 of the coolest girls. The rooms have lockers and 2 bathrooms which only 2 if us used the lockers lol, everyone else left their things out in plain sight like laptops, rings, etc and it was not stolen. Freehand is a very relaxed environment. I love it here. The pool itself is amazing. The whole back yard area with the bar (Broken Shaker). It's one block from Collins ave and u will be on the beach. And bout 10-15 min ride on the bus to get to Collins and 11th which the next block over is ocean and 11th and ur on south beach. I don't do HOSTELS but this was an amazing experience for me. A great way to afford a vacation without paying an arm and a leg for a boutique hotel on the strip. The only con is there's no TV. Don't come looking to watch tv lol. Just to come relax, party and sleep. It's not really a party hostel. It was very quiet, actually. People sitting around in the lobby playing games, reading books, etc and even a guy played the piano. U love freehand. After reading about hostels, I thought it would have been the worse place to stay, ever! Lol. It wasn't. Try it, u will love it. I saw young and old here.

• Stayed June 2013
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Hi there!
Thanks for taking the time to review us! We’re glad you had a great experience here! Come back soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Freehand really impressed me - great location, good value, beautiful interiors, great atmosphere, spotlessly clean, safe, and friendly & helpful staff.

I travelled alone and met some lovely people in the 4 bed room I stayed in, which was really spacious. The pool area is great and was never too crowded, the bar there too is also good.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Curitiba, PR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I read all the reviews about this hostel so I went for it. But guess what?.. I surpassed all my expectations! The building itself is really amazing, with spacious rooms with AC and all. Hygiene was a+ as well as the change of towels and bed sheets. I've never seen a hostel THAT clean.
With its vintage furnitures, the Freehand has one of the most charming decos I've ever seen in any Hostel or Hotel. the lighing and lounge music by the pool matches perfectly with the atmosphere. The Broken Shaker (bar) is awesome! A little bit expensive if you ask me, but then again you're in Miami Beach, so yeah...it's kinda an average price. But the cocktails are really amazing, highly recommended.

Bikes for rent are great, the events they do..I mean really..I'm in love with the place! Definetely gonna stay there in my next visit to Miami Beach.

Room Tip: Super 8 rooms are more spacious.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Sassenheim, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We booked the Standard King, a room with a King bed and private bathroom. The room was small but had everything we needed. It had a comfortable bed, TV, good shower. Was ok in cleanliness.

Earplugs are recommended if you get a poolside room, this can be a bit noisy if you want to sleep before 2 at night! Air-conditioning was a bit noisy as well but worked ok. Because of the classic glass windows that can be opened like Luxaflex, more noise and warmth enter the room then necessary.

The location is very good, walking distance to the beach, a grocery store at the end of the street, affordable parking around the corner. If you want to walk all the way to the end of Ocean Drive the distance is 2.6 miles / 4.2 kilometers, about 50 minutes. Breakfast is simple, but if you would like to start the day with coffee/tea, fruit and some simple pastries this is ok.

The cocktails at the Broken Shaker are really good, although a bit pricey.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed in a 8 bed female dorm for three nights and every thing went better than expected.

First, the hostel itself is breathe-taking. The backyard is so amazingly beautiful :) I stayed in Saturday night and decided to have drinks at the Broken Shaker which is located on the property, and I swear to you, Escobar's Punch was the perfect drink. I loved the pool! It was also pretty cool to be able to check out board games and have a game night with friends and other people staying at the freehand.

The rooms were much more comfortable and better looking than those at other hostels in the area so bonus points for that. The cool thing was each bunk had a lamp and plug outlets so that you could charge your devices right next to you.

I met so many different people at the Freehand, I think that was the best part. I met people from Bolivia, Argentina, Colombia, France and Holland, just to name a few. So awesome.

The staff was excellent! Maryn(?) was bomb and I can't remember the other young ladies name but she found me a place that delivered tacos so claps for her as well. And thank you to the gentleman that carries the baggage :).

As far as location, there's really not too much around the area. There's a bus stop directly across the street. Its almost impossible to walk outside and not be able to grab a cab within 30 seconds. A cab ride down to SoBe will run you about $10 (a little less depending on traffic). The beach is also right across the street from the hostel and bicycles are available to rent for $15 a day, which was very convenient.

I really enjoyed my stay at the Freehand, I miss it already :( I will tell my friends about it and return on my next vacation to Miami.

(Breakfast was nice, loveeeee the orange juice :) )

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side are better if you actually plan on going to bed before the night's over...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hi!
Thanks for taking the time to review our property. We’re glad you enjoyed your time at the Freehand!

Been to Freehand Miami? Share your experiences!