“Can't go wrong!” 5 of 5 stars

FALL Sale Save 20%
Detroit, Michigan
“Can't go wrong!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed in a 8 bed female dorm for three nights and every thing went better than expected.

First, the hostel itself is breathe-taking. The backyard is so amazingly beautiful :) I stayed in Saturday night and decided to have drinks at the Broken Shaker which is located on the property, and I swear to you, Escobar's Punch was the perfect drink. I loved the pool! It was also pretty cool to be able to check out board games and have a game night with friends and other people staying at the freehand.

The rooms were much more comfortable and better looking than those at other hostels in the area so bonus points for that. The cool thing was each bunk had a lamp and plug outlets so that you could charge your devices right next to you.

I met so many different people at the Freehand, I think that was the best part. I met people from Bolivia, Argentina, Colombia, France and Holland, just to name a few. So awesome.

The staff was excellent! Maryn(?) was bomb and I can't remember the other young ladies name but she found me a place that delivered tacos so claps for her as well. And thank you to the gentleman that carries the baggage :).

As far as location, there's really not too much around the area. There's a bus stop directly across the street. Its almost impossible to walk outside and not be able to grab a cab within 30 seconds. A cab ride down to SoBe will run you about $10 (a little less depending on traffic). The beach is also right across the street from the hostel and bicycles are available to rent for $15 a day, which was very convenient.

I really enjoyed my stay at the Freehand, I miss it already :( I will tell my friends about it and return on my next vacation to Miami.

(Breakfast was nice, loveeeee the orange juice :) )

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side are better if you actually plan on going to bed before the night's over...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Hi!
Thanks for taking the time to review our property. We’re glad you enjoyed your time at the Freehand!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

There is a bus stop just outside the hostel so transport wasn't an issue. Towels were provided and changed daily so it was an added bonus. Room was clean and breakfast was provided - simple but adequate with fruits and pastries. However, service from front desk could be improved, checking in was extremely slow. 4 of us shared a quad and we initially got a room where there was no hot water and the shower was exposed, and the room was located away from the main building on the ground floor, but managed to swap to a room on the third floor - had to lug our luggages up ourselves.

Room Tip: Request a room in the main building preferably on the first or second floor as the lift wasn't w...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
lemec2006
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed four nights here, 3 nights in a room on my own and one night in the dormitory.

I didn't pay the cheapest rate ever but that is mostly probably as I booked at the last minute.

The single room was spacious, comfortable bed, shower fine and no issues really at all. The dormitory was fine as well. There were lockers to lock your stuff away and enough space in the bedroom for the four people and no issue with anybody I was sharing the room with.

The hotel itself had decent internet access. I read quite a few complaints about the noise level but to be honest it wasn't something I really noticed that much and the last two nights I was out the back of the hotel over the bar/pool area. The atmposhere out in the bar area/communial area was pretty good with lots of people from different places there.

The air conditioning worked fine, to be honest too fine and the room was freezing if you didn't get the temperature right. Shower was fine as well, warm water etc.

Breakfast was, as mentioned in other reviews, basically just jam pastrys, coffee and orange juice. Finally picking up on other reviews I had no complaints about the reception staff who were perfectly polite to me.

Location is about a 15/20 minute walk down Collins to get to Lincoln street and about a 5 minute walk away from the beach and in particular, at least while I was there, an area of the beach that wasn't particularly crowded. The Italian restaurant round the corner next to the convenience store wasn't too bad if you want somewhere to eat that's convenient to the hotel as I couldn't see many other options....

All in all not somewhere that will live in my memory as being either outstanding value for money hence why marked as "average" as a pose to "very good" but if you're thinking of booking somewhere and can get a good deal/have compared with other places and the price looks right then in my opinion you shouldn't have any real issues if you stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed at Freehand with my boyfriend and we got the King Bed private room. The place is really cool, clean, has great cocktails, so it’s definitely worth checking out; however the staff there is awful. To be more specific, the front desk girls. Out of the 3 we dealt with, 2 were terrible, rude and unfriendly. Seems like they are in the wrong business to me, and looked just plain annoyed to be working there. The day I left I had them hold our luggag,e and when it was returned to me the handle was broken off. I understand mistakes happen, but she pretended like nothing was wrong, and almost got upset at me about it when I mentioned it to her. (she actually had the nerve to roll her eyes at me, and say to me, “what do you want me to do about it, I didn’t do it”?. Really? Again the actual hotel is great; just don’t expect the friendliest of faces to serve you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights instead of the planned 3 nights. From the moment of check in we experienced a nice hostel with a good private room. The garden and pool we nice. The garden a good place to relax and have a drink.

The room was clean and specious enough.

PROBLEM: Our biggest problem was with the noise during the whole night. A very loud buzzing sound kept us awake the first night. We expected some kind of construction noise (seems strange during the night). The next morning we complained and they send a maintenance guy. He admitted the loud sound and would fix it. Which did not happen. So we changed room, unfortunately only 2 floor below our current room. We did experience the same loud buzzing noise. Mentioned this a the reception (2x, even at 4 am). They didn't bother.

It looked like the ventilation / airco system was unsteadily buzzing (although our room airco was off). Even with earplugs we didn't get a good sleep.

Next morning we decided to leave. They at first didn't accept the reason and we had to pay all. After some pressure they gave us a "free" cancellation of the last night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Brampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights. Very nice and quiet but close to the action if that's what you want. It's about 15 minutes walking to 15th street and Collins Ave. where the action is.

My only problem was that on my first night someone took my bottom bunk bed- after I put my things there. The girl at front desk did come with me to talk to her (wake her up and tell her to change beds) but then she saw that it was someone who complained about having a top bunk and didn't want to confront her. I didn't like that at all.

Also the breakfast wasn't worthy waking up for. Just small pastries and fruits.

Despite my first night issues i still think it's fine. The pool is nice and lobby is chill to hang out in.

• Stayed May 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The front desk staff were very nice. I stayed in a shared room and it was surprisingly comfortable. The bathroom left a little to be desired and there were a ton of other people's products all over the place. The drinks by the pool were delicious but just as high priced as other places in Miami. The courtyard and pool were lovely. Soundproofing wasn't the best and there was a lot of noise and music which made it hard to sleep, especially when sharing the room with folks that kept coming and going throughout. I would stay again but in a private room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Freehand Miami? Share your experiences!