“Great Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

As a flight attendant, many of my nights are spent at Hiltons, Sheratons, Doubletrees, etc. When I travel for pleasure, I crave a different experience. Freehand Miami was just that.

My husband and I checked in on February 2 for two nights before going on a cruise. We booked a private, 4-bunk room. The beds are twins, so you'll either really have to snuggle up really tight or just sleep separately (we chose the latter).

I pre-purchased our stay from Hotels.com. Upon check-in, we were charged again by mistake. It was refunded immediately, no big deal. Actually I take part of the blame because I wasn't paying attention when my husband was checking in or else I would've caught it before we were charged.

The lobby is really cute and low-key, as is the hostel in general. There are bicycles available for rent and board games you can check out. There is a little bulletin board that has daily activities listed next to the front desk -- we went to the Lincoln Road Farmers Market and had a wonderful day there. We wouldn't have known about it had it not been for that bulletin board! The garden and pool area is absolutely gorgeous. There are ping pong tables, plenty of seating around the pool, and seating throughout the garden. I'm calling it a garden because it was that beautiful. Just a really cool, low-key, eclectic space. There is a bar outside with very reasonably priced cocktails. We were there on a Saturday night and the garden/bar area was packed all night, at least until 4am. It is a great scene and the music was SO good anytime -- day and night. Sunday was Super Bowl and although the property has no TVs, they brought in a gigantic screen and showed the game in the garden/bar area. Awesome.

A block away is a little strip mall with a Subway, a liquor store, and two restaurants. We ate at the Cantina, and it was excellent. Very convenient if you need a quick thing or two and/or you don't want to trek all the way down to SoBe.

At first I was afraid we'd be really old compared to the other guests (we're both 33), and although there were many guests younger than us, there were also families with small children as well as a handful of guests that looked to be in their 40s. A lot of Europeans, which doesn't bother me because my husband is European. Everyone was friendly and open to chatting, which I really like. If you're a keep-to-yourself kind of person, you can do that here too.

The rooms are kind of loud. The hallways have wood floors and don't absorb much sound, so I did wake up a couple times on Saturday night when people were coming in after a night on the town, and I'm a pretty heavy sleeper. Honestly, that would really be my only complaint about the Freehand Miami, and that's not that bad as far as complaints go. The rooms are clean and cute, kind of Ikea-esque. Each bunk has a little light and a cubby to plug in your electronics. I thought that was cool. My husband and I had a lot of fun climbing around on the bunk beds -- I say bunk bed, but really it's an entire wall unit, like a built-in. Very sturdy.

South Beach proper (what you see in the movies, etc.) is about 1-1.5 miles away, accessible by a beachfront boardwalk, or you can walk up Collins Ave. It was a little farther than ideal, especially after the 5-mile run on the boardwalk I did every morning, but we're active and pretty fit, it was really no big deal. It would probably suck after a night of drinking, though. A cab is about $5 one way and readily available.

All in all, I would definitely stay here again. Really cool vibe, nice, friendly people, and a great staff. My first and most excellent hostel experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

318 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Upon entering the lobby, you will be amazed. Extremely pretty place in an old, traditional building with beautiful outside area including pool; all very tasteful. The breakfast offers only two items on the menu but boy, they are good: enjoying small muffins and fruit salat in a comfy couch under an old tree in the garden with some Cuban vibes in the background gives you a good start of the day, before walking a mere three minutes over to Miami beach...

The service was good, the facilities were indeed very clean, the rooms properly aired, the beds amazingly comfortable and equipped with outlets and the two en suite bathrooms of the 8 bed dorm were cleaned on a daily basis. All in all, way beyond hostel standard and highly recommended.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Esther G, Manager at Freehand Miami, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
We take pride in making sure our hostel is as clean as possible at all times, we’re glad you noticed!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have stayed at The Freehand on a couple of occasions in January, and had ok experiences but not great. On the plus side the rooms are really clean and new, and the hostel is well located to the airport and beach. There is also air con, and the rooms facing out to the road are reasonably quiet.
The negative is that if you get a room overlooking the pool and want any sleep before 2am then good luck, music will be pumping until this time, which is great if you're in the mood for a party but not so great if you just want one night off. Also, the staff tended to be pretty moody compared to other hostels I've stayed in of late. So all in all, I'd say this is a great place for partying it up but less good if you want to relax and have the odd night off.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
We’re sorry to hear you only had an ‘ok’ experience, we are a new property and are working out the kinks to ensure that every stay will be extraordinary.
Miami Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The beds are UNBELIEVEABLLY COMFORTABLE... ROOMS ARE BEYOND CLEAN...BATHROOMS AMAZING... PERFECT CUSTOMER SERVICE...ALL THE STAFF ARE PLEASENT..the pool area is COOL! Breakfast is pretty nicetoo.. I'm currently looking for a new apartment in Miami..IF I could live here permanently...I WOULD. this place is AWESOME..the location is very nice..quiet..ahhhhh I cant wait to stay here again.. again.. the beds are sooooooo nice..and they have privacy curtains in between all the beds...HIGHLY RECOMMEND...Free Hand Keep up the absolute amazing work..it is very very appreciated!!!!!!! :-)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

We can’t wait for you to stay here again either!!
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We booked a super 8 and a quad for a group of 10 (all females - early 20s) and we were so pleased with what we received. First of all, the director of sales, Anne, came out and greeted us and that set the stage for everything else. She was so nice and informative about what the hostel offered and what Miami had to offer. The lobby was really cute and the outside area was beautiful!! They had chairs and tables set up everywhere, a pool, ping pong table, and some other games. Our rooms looked great...sure they're kind of small but they served their purpose. The beds were comfortable and big and it helped that each bunk had it's own light and outlet. The bathrooms were also small, but again they served their purpose. Continental breakfast consisted of coffee, juice, fruits, croissants, and muffins...they had enough for all 10 of us and more. The location was in a quieter area but it was just a 5 to 10 minute car ride to everything else. There's a parking lot next door and they offer parking passes for $10 a day...very convenient. The customer service here was wonderful and I would recommend it to anyone!!! It was a great value!

Cheers :)

PS: The Broken Shaker was exceptional!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

This is the place: there are no others quite like it.

No doubt this is the finest value for your dollar you can hope for

The rooms are well appointed & comfortable.

The service friendly & competent

Good continental bfast

Fine mtg place: biz or social

Nice pool, little chlorine.

Spacious

You just can't beat it!

Tks

Mark Head, MD

• Stayed February 2013
Collegeville, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The Freehand hotel had a really chilled out atmosphere. I would not recommend it for a romantic getaway or family trip--but for me and my 20-some year old friends it was our kind of scene. The room is a dorm room--small with super comfortable bunk beds. It didn't have a television--which you don't need in Miami anyway--or shampoo/conditioner--for sale at front desk--but the price was right and we didn't spend much time in the room. The hotel lobby is a relaxed hang out, and, even on a Monday night, there was partying in the 'back yard'--complete with a pool, ping pong tables, and a bar specializing in mixology. It is in a safe location, a block from the beach, and about 15 blocks to the main strip of bars and restaurants in South Beach. If you want to experience South Beach Miami on a budget--this is the place to be! (Just make sure you are renting a room//not a bed//unless you are looking for a hostel!)

Room Tip: The elevator is out of service//so if you plan to take a lot of baggage request a lower floor