“Continues to be Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fisher Island Hotel & Resort

You added Fisher Island Hotel & Resort to your Saves list
Fisher Island Hotel & Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   1 Fisher Island Dr., Fisher Island, Miami Beach, FL 33109   |
Ranked #50 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
new york city
“Continues to be Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

Have stayed here several times. This time with two kids in tow. Hotel made some changes after renovating the beach club. Everything continues to be excellent here. The manager made some much appreciated moves to accommodate us as a family. Only thing this place could use is a small pool for people who can't swim as the regular pool goes to 5 feet deep right after the stairs. It is not fun for us with the small children to use the pool. Other problem is we nearly missed our flight to the airport -- when there is a lot of traffic on the causeway to Miami Beach, it could take a taxi an hour to meet the ferry and the security guard on duty was not sympathetic to our desire not to miss our flight home late night during a holiday weekend. Basically, you must allow extra time for a taxi to meet the ferry at high peak times. They have moved the aviary to a new location and made it quite pretty and there is a resident astronomer in training who will show you the island's observatory and telescope at night. We also love the playground at the local school.We also like the fact that the food and beverage prices are very reasonable and the outlets are all excellent. Quite a cool place all around.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
FisherIsland, Manager at Fisher Island Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2011
Thank you for recently staying with us at Fisher Island Resort & Club.

I had the pleasure to review your comments regarding your stay with us and how pleased you were with the stay. We continue to strive to exceed expectations by providing each guest a unique experience that is personalized their meet their needs.

Thank you again for your feedback, we truly appreciate knowing about your experiences so we can celebrate our successes. We look forward to your return when you are in the area again.

David Smiley
Hotel Director
Fisher Island Club
(305) 535-6049 phone

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

My husband and I had been coming to the Hotel at Fisher Island for the last ten years. This last time we came with our 4 year old granddaughter. The resort is one of a kind, and we always enjoyed our stay.
I decided to go for a walk with my granddaughter when she suddenly needed to use the bathroom (she has a medical condition and she can't "hold it"). She is usually on diapers but being on Fisher Island and having so many bathrooms facilities around I wanted to give her a break. As we were at the door of the fitness center I decided to use the bathroom there. We got in and Cheryl (I think she is the fitness director) stopped us immediately and told me that I couldn't used the facility. I explained her the situation and told her that I was staying at the hotel. She proceeded to tell me "so you better hurry up and get to your room before this kid make a mess here".
We left and my little girl couldn't make it to the bathroom. The rest of the day she was too traumatized to leave the room. We left that same evening and we will never come back again as long as that woman continues working there.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

My husband and I were stunned by the beauty as soon as we set foot on Fisher Island. We were greeted by a gentleman who kindly escorted us, and as we drove to the hotel we were at ease enjoying the beautiful landscaping. We were greeted at the reception by Leo and Jorge they were very professional and friendly and showed us all the amenities and events that were happening that week. They informed us of "Miami Spice" and they were specialist in giving us excellent dinner recommendations through our stay. We stayed in a courtyard villa that had a private jacuzzi in the back newly renovated. It was so beautiful and charming that we did not want to leave our room. Also very nice touch of putting a make-up mirror for us girls!! since it's not very common. The beautiful beach, spa and restaurants just steps away from our courtyard villa. We did have a little problem with the wireless, but we called the frontdesk and Jessica who was computer savvy was very nice to assist us immediatly and we were able to continue working. We also loved having our own golf cart to cruise around the island and explore..and look at the peacocks LOL. It was truly an amazing experience...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

Upon arriving at the island, everything was glamourous and charming. They greeting my girlfriend and I with champagne. We decided on the trip we were going to have a good time and go to the popular Sunset Bar for drinks and to meet new people. Upon arriving at the Sunset Bar the first day, I met a man who wasn't a member or resident, he was a maid of one of the residents. He eventually left the bar after two hours when someone from hospitality noticed he was not affiliated with the club. The bartenders knew he was a maid, at the bar alone..not with his employer. That was against policy..this I was told happens frequently on the island..maids, nannnies, nursing aids,etc..taking advantage mingling when they are not with their employer. The second day we went to the bar after lying out at the beach..we had a wonderful dinner..lobster and champagne..the people at the bar were all regulars or sophisticated guests and it was a festive occassion. Towards the end of the night, I had a man approach me who I noticed earlier but didn't pay him any regard. He asked me to join him and his father at the Garwood Lounge for a drink..I agreed and he told me he'd pick me up on his golf cart at my room. He picked me up and went to the Garwood and I noticed his father wasn't there. We ordered food and drinks and he began to use explicit sexually talk towards me and he made me pay for my food and drink. He told me his father was wealthy and membership wouldn't believe me if I reported him. I later found out from the bartenders at the Sunset that he had inquired if I was staying with a man on the Island. They said they told him I was here with a girlfriend which I personally thought was not proper of them to release that information. There is security on the Island but if you do have an encounter with a resident or member...it could be swept away. Honestly, I didn't feel safe here.. I felt like if you aren't connected to anyone on the Island, your game to the residents and members. Our family attorney always says it not good to go anywhere where you don't know anyone. This is true for Fisher Island..Teenagers should be with their parents at all times or should be told not to engage in activity with members or residents..things happen. It's okay for couples, the rooms are fair..but it is a private island..food is about 3-4 star..I feel too much personal information can be given out..if you like to be more private..this isn't for you. On the island, I noticed the members and residents weren't the most educated group of people I've encountered. Miami has a lot of corruption and crime amongst the wealthy..you get the picture. It's not Manhattan or Washington DC intellects..you get the picture.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
FisherIsland, General Manager at Fisher Island Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, August 28, 2010
Thank you for informing us of issues that transpired with us during your stay in December of 2009. We have conducted an internal investigation regarding these matters as we consider them of the upmost importance. Please do not hesitate to contact me, if you would like to discuss this further.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

Let me start off by saying this is my first review on Trip Advisor even though I would consider myself an extensive traveler and I have stayed at countless 5 star resorts, this is the first time I have felt the need to post a review of a property.
I'll start with the pros, because there are some..
The property and grounds are very beautiful. When you arrive at the island you feel as though you're no longer in Florida, and definitely not in Miami South Beach area. When we checked in (although we arrived by car and were waiting for an escort once we got off the ferry for at least 15 minutes or more) everyone was very pleasant and helpful. We went on a little dragged out tour of the island but it did look beautiful and we thought we had made the right decision for our romantic getaway.
On to the negative..
First checking into our room, it was nice but very old fashioned. We stayed in a one-bedroom residence with ocean view that runs on average 1400 per night (don't forget the extra $60 club charges per day as well). The TV's were medium sized old box tv's with VHS players built in. No dvd players at all. The TV in the bedroom had less channels (most came in fuzzy-i forgot what none HD looks like) than the one in the living room, which already didn't have that many channels as it is. Then we noticed the carpet under the coffee table was very dirty, in fact not small crumbs but almost actual whole sized crackers were left. In the bedroom there was a chair next to the bed with a huge stain on it.. i didn't even want to put my dirty laundry on the chair, let alone sit on it. The bathroom was nice but the toilet door wouldn't shut, good thing my significant other and I are close :). Also two of the light bulbs were out during the whole stay. The shower had one tiny soap holder (the rest of your products had to go on the shower floor) and it was broken and kept falling. The lamp shades were covered in spider webs. Overall it definitely needed some renovating and extra cleaning. We did call the front desk who seemed as though they would've moved us if they had something available but didn't.
Our first day out on the beach after getting situated and having one attendant help us set up an umbrella (we had gotten there early to get good seats) we were told a half an hour later those seats had actually been reserved (along with 7 other seats) for a potential family of 20 that comes to the beach and sits there everyday. Nonetheless we moved from our more secluded seats to a more crowded section of the beach but no one ever showed up to claim those reserved seats for the rest of the day. I had only requested some water at one point but I never received it and had to go up and get my own. Not once was I asked if I wanted any food or beverage and it wasn't until I asked for my umbrella and chairs that they helped- although they were busy setting up everyone else's reserved chairs that hadn't even shown up yet. When we were moved next to a family with small children (which was everyone there..not romantic) the kids had brought snacks which were attacked by birds. None of the attendants cleaned up the snacks that were now scattered along the beach and we spent the rest of the day shewing away birds.
The next day we decided to try the more secluded beach on the island which we were told to pick up our towels ahead of time because it was unattended. This beach was much quieter (not as many screaming kids) but definitely not as comfortable chairs and the beach was half as nice (lots of seaweed, not a combed beach, there was even a large piece of wood with nails sticking out of it that had rolled up on shore). We decided to forgo our dinner reservations in Miami Beach (ferry seemed like a hassle) and try the Garwood Lounge on the island. We made reservations and walked in and was not greeted by any host after standing there for 2 minutes. It seemed as though maybe we had gone in a side entrance so we proceeded to walk around the restaurant to see if we could find someone to help us. After walking into a private room with a family dining we felt awkward and went back to the main area and up to the bar to ask. The bartender who turned out to be the host and also a waiter escorted us to a table off to the side that wasn't even set. We asked if we could sit at this romantic table that was already set up in the corner but they said it was reserved for a couple at the bar already. We asked if they had our name down for the reservation (thinking the couple at the bar got our table) and they said yes but seemed to stick us at a table they use for walk-ins. This was not the only occasion we felt as though we were getting jipped for residents and regulars. In fact everyone seemed to know everyone except us. The whole vacation we felt like outsiders even though we were paying good money to receive a high level of service. For a five star property and leading hotel of the world we expected much better treatment. I will not go back until I have small children accompanying me and they have completely renovated..but even then I will think twice. NOT FOR COUPLES unless you want reality check on what parenting is like (parenting with 24/7 nannies that is).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

My wife and i stayed in one of the Villas, great room and patio with a spa and chairs. Bathroom compared to a Four Seasons. The room was more than expected.

The restraunts on the island are fabulous, especially Garwoods, very romantic and the service, atmosphere and food where way above the expectations.

Canno say enough good things about this place, very intamate, wonderful staff, great beach. Just a fabulous weekend stay here if you want to get away from it all.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

When we arrived we were upgraded, which was very nice. The staff was extremely pleasant and we liked that the location is removed from the noise of South Beach, but it only a ferry away to eat dinner or enjoy nightlife. The grounds are nicely kept and the golf cart you are given is a nice touch that makes it intimate. Our room was very clean and nicely set up.

I would just say that the place needs a bit of fluffing and is a little stuck in 1995. Broken tiles in the public bathroom areas, dated looking decor and a need for new carpeting were really my biggest observations.

The room was nice, but our hot water wasn't hot and when we asked to get it fixed - people came by, looked at it, but it was never fixed.

The hotel is not prepared for cold weather. We were told that it was too cold to serve breakfast--well there are few options on the island (except the store), so that was odd to me. They also had outdoor heating lamps at the bar. When I asked to have one turned on because it was 50 degrees, I was told they were out of oil. Wouldn't you go get some since this is the coldest winter on record right now??

It would be nice to have a drink menu. They have a wine list, but no wine by the glass menu or drink menu. I know this seems so picky, but when I asked for one, they said "we don't have a drink menu, but we have a full bar". "Great I said, I would like a dessert wine with my dessert". Oh, we don't have dessert wine. Um, OK. I also should be able to know how much everything is before I order it.

I would go back if I got another deal ($299 a night) and it was going to be hot. I imagine the beach club, etc would be great. p.s. there is a $65 a day resort fee. This includes parking, beach cabana, and golf cart. They don't mention that until you ask about it. I don't know why people comment about the people who live there. We didnt' feel they treated us weird. It does cost $250,000 just to join the club + the cost of your house, so that explains all the Bentleys and cologen lips to me.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Fisher Island Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!