“Beautiful Weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fisher Island Hotel & Resort

Save Saved
You added Fisher Island Hotel & Resort to your Saves list
Fisher Island Hotel & Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   1 Fisher Island Dr., Fisher Island, Miami Beach, FL 33109   |
Ranked #50 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Beautiful Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

My wife and i stayed in one of the Villas, great room and patio with a spa and chairs. Bathroom compared to a Four Seasons. The room was more than expected.

The restraunts on the island are fabulous, especially Garwoods, very romantic and the service, atmosphere and food where way above the expectations.

Canno say enough good things about this place, very intamate, wonderful staff, great beach. Just a fabulous weekend stay here if you want to get away from it all.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

When we arrived we were upgraded, which was very nice. The staff was extremely pleasant and we liked that the location is removed from the noise of South Beach, but it only a ferry away to eat dinner or enjoy nightlife. The grounds are nicely kept and the golf cart you are given is a nice touch that makes it intimate. Our room was very clean and nicely set up.

I would just say that the place needs a bit of fluffing and is a little stuck in 1995. Broken tiles in the public bathroom areas, dated looking decor and a need for new carpeting were really my biggest observations.

The room was nice, but our hot water wasn't hot and when we asked to get it fixed - people came by, looked at it, but it was never fixed.

The hotel is not prepared for cold weather. We were told that it was too cold to serve breakfast--well there are few options on the island (except the store), so that was odd to me. They also had outdoor heating lamps at the bar. When I asked to have one turned on because it was 50 degrees, I was told they were out of oil. Wouldn't you go get some since this is the coldest winter on record right now??

It would be nice to have a drink menu. They have a wine list, but no wine by the glass menu or drink menu. I know this seems so picky, but when I asked for one, they said "we don't have a drink menu, but we have a full bar". "Great I said, I would like a dessert wine with my dessert". Oh, we don't have dessert wine. Um, OK. I also should be able to know how much everything is before I order it.

I would go back if I got another deal ($299 a night) and it was going to be hot. I imagine the beach club, etc would be great. p.s. there is a $65 a day resort fee. This includes parking, beach cabana, and golf cart. They don't mention that until you ask about it. I don't know why people comment about the people who live there. We didnt' feel they treated us weird. It does cost $250,000 just to join the club + the cost of your house, so that explains all the Bentleys and cologen lips to me.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Geneva
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

This is the best hotel I've ever stayed in. Located on a private island, next to South Beach, it's very nice and calm. The ferry brings you to South Beach in a few minutes and it's running 24/7.
We had a lovely room which was newly renovated with all modern comfort (flat screen, DVD player, free WIFI...).
The beach is beautiful and the restaurants and bar are very nice. I recommend the Sunset Bar, located between the beach and the marina, a fantastic bar with great sushis and seafood. The Garwood Lounge is a great restaurant serving amazing steaks.
The tennis club has clay, grass and hard courts. The golf is only 9 holes but it's probably one of the most beautiful course I've ever played. The spa and fitness center are great too.
Go to Fisher Island, you won't regret it.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
moosemooseMoosemoose
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

My husband and I went to Fisher Island for several days in January. Overall we enjoyed ourselves quite a bit, but from the reviews I read from trip advisor, I expected much better customer service.

The services for golf, tennis, beach, and our guest room were fantastic. The quality of food and service during our dinners and early breakfasts were great too. Quality of food and service for lunches and brunches needed improvement.

It appeared to us that there might have been a high turnover of employees when we went, because a simple question like what time will the food outside would be served, one employee named John told me at 10:30AM, and upon arrival to that area at that time, no food was being served then because the weather was "too cold" according to another employee. I would think John would know this if he worked there for a while. Another question I ask another employee while I was at the beach is who is in charge of the beach area, and the employee would not know. There were a several more of these simple types of incidences that I encountered with other personnel during the days we were there.

There also were afternoons and early evenings I believe the hotel was short on staff because to reach any person at the front desk or to reach the operator of the hotel would take more effort than expected. Once I did reach someone, the person would do their best to accomodate what I needed, but just to reach someone was unexpected effort.

My comments are to make others aware that I customer service could use improvment before grading a resort with a five-star. Otherwise the stay was very pleasent.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

This hotel has everything a high end resort should have. Let me start with all the positives. FREE parking, FREE internet, room service maid comes promptly twice a day with nightly chocolate and turndown service. There are about 12-15 swimming pools but only 3-4 are available for hotel guests. There's plently of beach access, half of the island is surrounded by sand. During my stay I never felt cramped/crowded. There's a market place on the island where you can get groceries and everything you can think of, and 4-5 restaurants (but only 1 casual dining option). Its a great place to spend a quiet vacation (since going into Miami takes about an hr, due to traffic and waiting for the ferry... which is about 20 min in and out). The SPA needs serious updating. It reminds me a dirty high school locker room. Not really sure how a top notch resort can have such a poor spa facility. Perhaps they do not do enough business to justify renovating the spa. There's also a very large playground for kids to play and a full basketball court. Plenty of grass space for picinics, soccer, or anythig you can think of. I am definitely coming back again. Note: all the rooms are different sine they are condo's being rented out by the owners. So expect some variation then the pictures you may see on their website. We stayed at a 1 bdroom with full kitchen and a full fridge. It was wonderful.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

I was previously here in 2005 with my wife before we had kids, and didn't know if we would enjoy it with our 2 kids aged 2 and 3. Greatly exceeded expectations. We had a 3 bedroom condo garden view; it was so nice that even though the hotel offered us an upgrade to oceanview, we didn't switch once we had settled in. Post-labor day september it is so quiet here that at meals and on the beach we were the only ones there, half the time. Surf and pool is warm and if you go out in the early morning and late afternoon it is delightful this time of year. Hotel was running at 30% occupancy and there are only 37 rooms.
Food and beverage prices are very reasonable; staff is very friendly; there are 2 beautiful playgrounds, one of which is at the private school on the island that is open to hotel guests. The aviary in the middle of the golf course has beautiful birds and other pets and Julio there is very nice. We loved having our own golf cart. Babysitting service was very reasonable and excellently staffed. Food and beverage quality were excellent and in restaurants and room service they will make up for you almost whatever you want even if it is not on the menu -- something we found especially nice considering they didn't have a kiddie menu for room service; maitre'd at Porto Cuervo is upper tier. While Beach Club undergoes renovation, they serve breakfast under the big tree; too bad they will move it as this is a gorgeous place to eat and the peacocks lounge about. Hotel management was very accommodating; Colette is an excellent manager. Gym at the spa is extraordinary considering the overall size of the island; the spa itself offers good treatments. Massage with David is upper tier.
There is an observatory on the island available upon request; hotel manager will hook you up with someone to see the stars.
Look for summer specials here May-October by calling the hotel directly; we booked via Amex Platinum but could have paid 1/3 less for the same room. I wasn't upset though even though I found out about this after I arrived by reading the homeowner's bulletin offering summer specials at the hotel; we still felt we had excellent value for money.
Only thing we suggest for this place is some kind of wading pool for kids and people who can't swim. Once you go past the steps, pool at the hotel is nearly 5 feet deep. Other comment was that Amex Platinum here only gets you complimentary continental breakfast or a $22 credit; most Fine Hotels & Resorts comp you a full breakfast. When I complained about it, first I was told that they would consider the suggestion. When I noted that I hadn't been upgraded, they gave me the full breakfast comp. But the prices here are so reasonable that it is a petty matter; a family of 4 eating well at breakfast can expect a bill of $55-60.
You already know that the island is a lovely hideaway; a few minutes from urban Miami but a world unto itself. Very relaxing and safe.
We'll be back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

I had a very nice weekend getaway at this property. I found a good deals on the Leading Hotels in the World website and booked this hotel after my thorough research on some of the hotels in the South Beach.

The major advantage and disadvantage of this property is the location: Because it is a ferry ride away from Miami, it gives you the exclusive feeling and the remoteness despite the proximity of a big city. However, if your trip is for the nightlife on the South Beach, this might not be a good choice for you. You can always take ferry on foot (nor car) and take taxi from the marina (they call a taxi in advance, as you board on the ferry, so that the taxi awaits you when you arrive onshore Miami), but this is a bit of hassle. My purpose was to have a relaxing trip, so it worked perfectly. I really enjoyed the private beach and the beautiful scenery of the island. The landscape is impeccable, and the "caste system" that one of the previous reviewers pointed out was not a problem for me, because in the first place, it is a private residence for some people. But, there is some distinction between residents and non-residents for sure, though most of the time you would spend time in the club area -not the resident-only area- where you are treated very nicely.

The spa was great: Sauna and hot bath were relaxing and the spa service was very nice.

The room was nice - we stayed in a 2 bedroom suite, with a small kitchen, overlooking the ocean from the balcony. I enjoyed the property very much. They have great beach area and have a great view of Miami and the ocean.The only downside, though, was that there was a certain odor in the hallway leading to one of the two bathrooms although it was not intolerable.

Yes, the decor might seem a bit dated, but not terribly so (no frills or flowery patterns, but it is certainly not Setai) - everything was clean and well-kept (except for the mysterious odor I mentioned - again it was not too bad).

I liked the staff: The service was great everywhere we went, and especially the person at the Italian bistro was extremely kind and welcoming. And their food was great! I strongly recommend their meat ragu pasta - flavorful and hearty!

I will definitely go back to this property on my next visit and would recommend this property anyone with little kids and/or couple wishing to have a short getaway as this island is a tropical resort within reach without having to spend a lot of money and time on faraway tropical island.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Fisher Island Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!