“Exceeded all expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fisher Island Hotel & Resort

You added Fisher Island Hotel & Resort to your Saves list
Fisher Island Hotel & Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   1 Fisher Island Dr., Fisher Island, Miami Beach, FL 33109   |
Ranked #61 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York, NY
“Exceeded all expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

This hotel has everything a high end resort should have. Let me start with all the positives. FREE parking, FREE internet, room service maid comes promptly twice a day with nightly chocolate and turndown service. There are about 12-15 swimming pools but only 3-4 are available for hotel guests. There's plently of beach access, half of the island is surrounded by sand. During my stay I never felt cramped/crowded. There's a market place on the island where you can get groceries and everything you can think of, and 4-5 restaurants (but only 1 casual dining option). Its a great place to spend a quiet vacation (since going into Miami takes about an hr, due to traffic and waiting for the ferry... which is about 20 min in and out). The SPA needs serious updating. It reminds me a dirty high school locker room. Not really sure how a top notch resort can have such a poor spa facility. Perhaps they do not do enough business to justify renovating the spa. There's also a very large playground for kids to play and a full basketball court. Plenty of grass space for picinics, soccer, or anythig you can think of. I am definitely coming back again. Note: all the rooms are different sine they are condo's being rented out by the owners. So expect some variation then the pictures you may see on their website. We stayed at a 1 bdroom with full kitchen and a full fridge. It was wonderful.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

I was previously here in 2005 with my wife before we had kids, and didn't know if we would enjoy it with our 2 kids aged 2 and 3. Greatly exceeded expectations. We had a 3 bedroom condo garden view; it was so nice that even though the hotel offered us an upgrade to oceanview, we didn't switch once we had settled in. Post-labor day september it is so quiet here that at meals and on the beach we were the only ones there, half the time. Surf and pool is warm and if you go out in the early morning and late afternoon it is delightful this time of year. Hotel was running at 30% occupancy and there are only 37 rooms.
Food and beverage prices are very reasonable; staff is very friendly; there are 2 beautiful playgrounds, one of which is at the private school on the island that is open to hotel guests. The aviary in the middle of the golf course has beautiful birds and other pets and Julio there is very nice. We loved having our own golf cart. Babysitting service was very reasonable and excellently staffed. Food and beverage quality were excellent and in restaurants and room service they will make up for you almost whatever you want even if it is not on the menu -- something we found especially nice considering they didn't have a kiddie menu for room service; maitre'd at Porto Cuervo is upper tier. While Beach Club undergoes renovation, they serve breakfast under the big tree; too bad they will move it as this is a gorgeous place to eat and the peacocks lounge about. Hotel management was very accommodating; Colette is an excellent manager. Gym at the spa is extraordinary considering the overall size of the island; the spa itself offers good treatments. Massage with David is upper tier.
There is an observatory on the island available upon request; hotel manager will hook you up with someone to see the stars.
Look for summer specials here May-October by calling the hotel directly; we booked via Amex Platinum but could have paid 1/3 less for the same room. I wasn't upset though even though I found out about this after I arrived by reading the homeowner's bulletin offering summer specials at the hotel; we still felt we had excellent value for money.
Only thing we suggest for this place is some kind of wading pool for kids and people who can't swim. Once you go past the steps, pool at the hotel is nearly 5 feet deep. Other comment was that Amex Platinum here only gets you complimentary continental breakfast or a $22 credit; most Fine Hotels & Resorts comp you a full breakfast. When I complained about it, first I was told that they would consider the suggestion. When I noted that I hadn't been upgraded, they gave me the full breakfast comp. But the prices here are so reasonable that it is a petty matter; a family of 4 eating well at breakfast can expect a bill of $55-60.
You already know that the island is a lovely hideaway; a few minutes from urban Miami but a world unto itself. Very relaxing and safe.
We'll be back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

I had a very nice weekend getaway at this property. I found a good deals on the Leading Hotels in the World website and booked this hotel after my thorough research on some of the hotels in the South Beach.

The major advantage and disadvantage of this property is the location: Because it is a ferry ride away from Miami, it gives you the exclusive feeling and the remoteness despite the proximity of a big city. However, if your trip is for the nightlife on the South Beach, this might not be a good choice for you. You can always take ferry on foot (nor car) and take taxi from the marina (they call a taxi in advance, as you board on the ferry, so that the taxi awaits you when you arrive onshore Miami), but this is a bit of hassle. My purpose was to have a relaxing trip, so it worked perfectly. I really enjoyed the private beach and the beautiful scenery of the island. The landscape is impeccable, and the "caste system" that one of the previous reviewers pointed out was not a problem for me, because in the first place, it is a private residence for some people. But, there is some distinction between residents and non-residents for sure, though most of the time you would spend time in the club area -not the resident-only area- where you are treated very nicely.

The spa was great: Sauna and hot bath were relaxing and the spa service was very nice.

The room was nice - we stayed in a 2 bedroom suite, with a small kitchen, overlooking the ocean from the balcony. I enjoyed the property very much. They have great beach area and have a great view of Miami and the ocean.The only downside, though, was that there was a certain odor in the hallway leading to one of the two bathrooms although it was not intolerable.

Yes, the decor might seem a bit dated, but not terribly so (no frills or flowery patterns, but it is certainly not Setai) - everything was clean and well-kept (except for the mysterious odor I mentioned - again it was not too bad).

I liked the staff: The service was great everywhere we went, and especially the person at the Italian bistro was extremely kind and welcoming. And their food was great! I strongly recommend their meat ragu pasta - flavorful and hearty!

I will definitely go back to this property on my next visit and would recommend this property anyone with little kids and/or couple wishing to have a short getaway as this island is a tropical resort within reach without having to spend a lot of money and time on faraway tropical island.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

We recently stayed at the Fisher Island Hotel & Resort with our two teenaged children and were very surprised about this unknown island paradise. They have beautiful private beach, plenty of restaurants, a huge tennis facility (even grass courts), a spa (kids are not allowed), golf course and their own gourmet market. We stayed in a two bedroom condo suite with a full kitchen. It gave us the option to have a nice breakfast every morning without having to get ready to go to one of the hotel restaurant.
One day we went to South Beach, which was interesting but not a highlight. Lincoln Road was nice and save to walk with kids.
Besides the beautiful resort I have to applaud the stay...amazing...everybody was so nice to us and made us feel like we have been coming to the resort for years. The front desk told us that the hotel was busy with summer vacationers, but we felt like the island was their for our family alone.
Great spot.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
washington, dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

Fisher Island is an absolute paradise that is just a hop/ferry ride away from Miami! My fiance is a big "reviews guy" and he found this amazing resort on this website. He actually proposed to me there, so needless to say we were treated like royalty! Everyone on the island, as well as the staff, were very nice and friendly. The golf carts were a great touch to bop around the island in, and the beach/pool was wonderful and relaxing. The food was delicious at Porto Cervo and the Beach Club (Beach Club is now under renovation until Fall 2009). We loved it so much we are considering it to host our wedding!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Western North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

We decided to stay on Fisher Island this trip because we wanted to be close to the action but with a bit of serenity and peace. We booked a courtyard villa because I wanted the private garden pool and a two bedroom suite for my MIL and our 6 year old son for our week long stay.

We loved that the island was centrally located to all the places we planned to visit. Since we decided to rent a car we had to use the ferry to access the island. The first ferry ride was fun as we were excited to get to the island. There were only a handful of people on the ferry and we spent most of the time looking out over the water and watching boats and birds.

The grounds are beautiful and there are birds everywhere. Every inch of flora is meticulously and methodically pruned, clipped and situated. The bougainvillea added splashes of color to the greenest of green I have seen in South Florida. I was impressed with the quality of orchids the resort had as well. The peacocks were so used to people they barely cared we were there. Our six year old loved this! He spent countless hours playing with the birds on the island and feeding them bread and seed. Ann Marie even let him hold a parrot! This really made his day! We loved the birds as the sounds reminded us of our favorite country, Costa Rica!

The private beach is very small. There was hardly anyone on the beach so it truly did feel private. I am surprised we did not spend as much time on the beach as we originally thought. We did however spend most of our time on the island either at the pool or in our garden pool. It was extremely hot so the water was comforting to our pink skin!

The rooms are well appointed and the air conditioning was more then efficient. I loved the suite that our MIL stayed in although when we return we would rent a villa again. The linens were soft and the bed was so comfortable we did not want to get up in the morning. The courtyard is very private and you can’t help but feel like this island is your private oasis. We thought the resort would resemble the Vanderbuilt’s Biltmore Estate in décor, we were pleasantly surprised that the resort maintained elegance while keeping with the integrity of the Mediterranean/Tropical feeling. The resort’s marble, columns, tiles, statuary, rich fabrics and open air porticos and patios transcend time and take you back to a place where everything is good and effortless. Much to my husband’s amusement, upon every turn I had a new idea for our landscaping projects back home. And much to my amusement, my husband’s enthusiastic portrayal of Tattoo’s “De Plane! De Plane!” never grew tiresome.

We did encounter an issue with the ferry on our fourth night that was inconvenient. We were told we had to wait for a ferry to return because it was full of residents that arrived AFTER us; well it was hard to not feel like second rate citizens. We were also told that it was unusual for the ferries to fill up and it was due to a party on the island. They did manage to make room for us on the second trip, but it took us almost an hour to get back to the hotel from the time we originally arrived at the ferry. We were tired and our 6 year old was irritable and bored. We understood from the beginning that the residents had first right to the ferries, but we were also assured that it was rare to be turned away. For the amount of money we were spending for two units, it was hard not to feel miffed. But we sucked it up. We did cancel plans the next night for dinner because of the experience. We did not experience any other ferry issues for the rest of our stay… thankfully!

We fully enjoyed our week here. The staff seems to take a laid back approach to the guests which at first appeared that there was slow or no service. However, once we asked for something it was sure to appear. We had reservations about bringing our 6 year old, but he had a blast and was kept entertained for the duration. We did enjoy the restaurants on the island but mostly ate in South Beach and the Grove or with relatives. We went deep sea fishing, parasailing, enjoyed the spa many times over, the pool and beach and visited Jungle Island and many shops.

We would recommend these accommodations to anyone who wants to just get away from it all but still be in the mix of things. Fisher Island Club is peaceful, beautiful and a great place to people/celebrity watch. If you have reservations about bringing your kids, put them aside…. they will love it... especially the golf carts!

• Liked — Privacy and Beautiful Surroundings
  • Disliked — Rooms were smaller then we imagined
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Palm Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2008

We are American Express Platinum Card holders and asked our travel agent that we needed a relaxing trip nearby. She suggested Fisher Island Hotel & Resort in Miami and we booked this 3 day weekend getaway. Our experience was unbelievable...a tropical luxury island next to miami beach and miami...with all the amenities...I loved the Spa and my husband played golf...Porto Cervo Restaurant was a true italian memory...and the beach service was top notch....We stayed in a courtyard villa that had a private jacuzzi in the back...perfect for us...the hotel staff was so genuine and helpful, that no request was never denied...and to top it off...everything is surrounded the Vanderbilt Estate...

Just a tip...keep your eyes open for famous people...we spotted Prince Andrew...he was in one of the private cabana...

We will be back...

• Liked — Large Villa with private outside jacuzzi
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Fisher Island Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!