“Wedding Event” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fisher Island Hotel & Resort

Save Saved
You added Fisher Island Hotel & Resort to your Saves list
Fisher Island Hotel & Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   1 Fisher Island Dr., Fisher Island, Miami Beach, FL 33109   |
Ranked #45 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Flanders, New Jersey
“Wedding Event”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We had a pre wedding ceremony at the courtyard by Marriott day before
and weeding and reception at this fisher island .....( on 8 Th Feb 2014 ) ..
peacock ........people were greeted by peacock calling was amazing
I love the graceful amazing royal colorful regal bird .
was wonderful place it is an experience . If you can afford it is nice place to have a wedding .

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Fisher Island, is so much fun for children and adults from all over the world. You are a Fairy ride away from a city, but yet when you are a Fisher Island you do not even realize how close you are to the City of Miami. I think it is so amazing that there is a little shop on this Island where you can buy the most wonderful foods. The whole island is so safe so you do not have to worry about your children drowning at the beach or pool because they have staff watch your kids at almost every activity. The ocean is so amazing because you can see right through to the sand and it is all gated of so no sharks. Also, if you dive under the rocks on both sides of the water you can see a whole corral reef of fish. There are many amazing animals that you would never be able to see anywhere else like mantes and lots more. I can't wait to go back to Fisher Island and have an even more amazing time there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Geneve
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Very nice place for a honeymoon and/or with family
- service is great
- you feel very safe and at home due to the fact that it is an Island -> everyone is checked before getting on to the Island by ferry
- the Spa is amazing
- 9 holes / 16 tennis courts

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We spent 2 days out on this resort and had a marvellous time. The resort is fantastic in its self but adding the most friendliest staff made the whole experience 5 star deluxe deluxe.
We found the service sincere, genuine and discret and that included all the departmenst we came across. The beach area is very comfortable and gym/spa is excellent, we attended a group class which was held by a very cheerfull and inspireing instructor.
We will definetely be back shortly 2 days was definetely not enough!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

I've been vacationing on fisher as a guest of a member since 2006. I agree with all the three star and disappointed reviews. LSR22 is right on with their review. To be honest, the service has always been aloof, even without the construction.

The island itself is beautiful. We used to look forward to the sushi but noticed recently the quality is not what it used to be. The staff at the sunset bar is still pleasant, but seriously kids should NOT be permitted in the bar area. It's just annoying to have an obnoxious kids who's parents are half in the bag and the nanny who is too busy showing off to her friends to pay any attention to the kids.

The "members" are elitists that look past you because they can't be bothered by acknowledging your presence as a fellow human being.

So why do we continue coming here? There are a few bright spots amongst all the clouds.

• Stayed June 2013
Samuel G, General Manager at Fisher Island Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Honored Guest of Fisher Island Club Hotel,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on our Hotel and Club, we appreciate the feedback. As you know, it is always important to hear the highlights and constructive observations for any business so that growth and corrective measures can be made. We value your opinions and would like to learn more about the specifics of your experiences while at the Fisher Island Club. Likewise, we would like to know more about those "bright spots" you mentioned at the end of you review so that we may continue to focus on experiences like those and build from there.

Please contact me directly so that we may speak more specifically about your visit. You may reach me by email at sgarcia@fisherislandclub.com or by phone at 305.535.6000.

We look forward to addressing your concerns and hope to elevate your perception of our services on your future visits to the Fisher Island Club. Again, thank you for your time and assistance.

Samuel
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Fisher Island Hotel and Resort is one of my favorite places on earth. The service here is simply amazing. While the resort itself is certainly pricey, it has always been worth every penny. Being so close (yet so far away) from the life of Miami/South Beach is lovely. The private island feeling makes for a totally relaxing getaway, but if you choose to take the ferry over to the "mainland" it's just a short hop. I have done both, depending on the mood, and the ferry never bothered us enough to want to stay elsewhere. The food is excellent at all the restaurants on the island, and Sunni's fresh sushi is to die for! I absolutely love everything about Fisher Island. I only wish I lived here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Samuel G, General Manager at Fisher Island Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Honored Guest of Fisher Island Club Hotel,

First, thank you for your kind words about our Hotel. We are so pleased that you have enjoyed your visits with us. It is our sincere wish to have come again soon and often.

We are excited to let you know that we will be moved back into the mansion within a very short time. We hope you can come back soon to help us celebrate.

It would be my pleasure to assist you with your next booking. Please feel free to contact me directly at sgarcia@fisherislandclub.com.

Let's keep this love affair alive!

Chappaqua, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We just returned from a five night stay at Fisher Island. This hotel has some areas that operate at a five star level, while other areas operate at a two star level. I will explain. The Villa we stayed in was beautifully furnished and in good condition. The bathroom was modern and tastefully decorated, and had great closet and drawer space in a dressing area. Two sets of double doors opened to a private landscaped patio with a hot tub, two lounge chairs and seating area. However, our peaceful enjoyment of this space was seriously compromised by the noise of road traffic behind and in front of the villa due to construction of their Vanderbilt Mansion. We were notified by the hotel in advance about the construction, and were assured that our peaceful enjoyment of the property would not be effected. They assured us our villa was away from the construction. and we would have access to other swimming pools and the restaurant inside the mansion had been temporarily moved. The truth was that our villa was directly across from the mansion and that starting at 7:55AM there was constant noise from trucks backing up. When I say constant, I mean over an hour of high pitched beeping while dozens of trucks backed into the construction site. So, sleeping passed 8AM, or reading on the beautiful villa patio in the morning was completely out of the question. When I opened my door to leave for breakfast I was met by the site of huge moving trucks delivering furniture to the site and even louder beeping noises.
The hotel staff was very nice. But, there were unnecessary slights throughout our stay. For example, when you ask for a dinner reservation, instead of simply checking availability you are told they have to check with membership to see they can take the reservation. Equity members of the club have priority over hotel guests. When have you ever been to a five star resort and told you were NOT the priority? This is the same with access to the ferry. You sit and watch, wondering if you will make your dinner reservation, as equity members board first. As we learned, this is also an unnecessary slight, since everyone gets on the ferry. On our last night all the electricity in our Villa inexplicably went out. I was blow drying my hair, but nothing else, not even the tv, was on. We were given a flashlight and I went to the spa to finish getting ready. When we left for dinner the lights still were not restored. Usually a manager would contact a guest under these circumstances to apologize? Nothing.
The beach club was very nice and the service at the restaurant was excellent. But, please know the beach is no longer than a soccer field and on the weekends it is jammed packed with "members". And, they never let you forget you are not a "member". There is a sign saying that cabanas are free after noon if not reserved by a "member". So, one day at 12:15 I asked if I could sit in one and was told I could. Two hours later a towel boy comes over and says his manager wants to leave it free for members. By this time, the beach was jammed packed. I asked to speak with the manager, and of course she couldn't look us in the eye and tell us there was any place else for us to go, so she allowed us to stay with the admonishment, "just for today".
There is a much longer, one mile long beach, that is available to residence only. It is not difficult to figure out a way to trespass on this beach, but quite uncomfortable to do. Especially, when you are paying over $900 per night, with tagged on resort fees and taxes, to stay at a five star beach resort. Also, given that the hotel is so small, a hotel entrance gate for beach access would never be noticed by the condominium owners on "residence beach". The beach was practically empty.
The spa and gym were great in every way. Whomever runs the spa knows hospitality management. Each and every day the front desk greeted us with a smile; the classes were excellent and rigorous; the facility was clean and smelled great and the gym had every piece of equipment you could hope for. I had a facial and enjoyed it very much.
While the spa staff was clearly well trained, the tennis facility felt like a trip to a public tennis court. My heart is starting to beat faster just thinking about how upset I felt the two times I visited the courts. The tennis office staff is curt and barely looks at you when you walk in. The court we were directed to (court 5) had cracks on it and piles of sand in spots. There was a long yellow extension cord sloppily placed on the side of the court and a water fountain (the kind you see in old schools) and no cups for water. I took a sip of the water from the fountain and not only was it warm, but it tasted vial. The tennis facility is also under construction, so to return to the tennis office guests have to walk quite a long way around construction fencing. When I explained the water situation and requested a pitcher of ice water and cups (something every five star resort I have ever been to provides) the person at the desk actually rolled her eyes at me and said "we don't do that". She pointed out to me where I can get cups and directed me to the ice machine. This wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for the construction. You can't go for a refill without having to walk around all the construction fencing again. My husband and I each took two cups and actually conserved water in order to play out our game. But, this isn't the end of it. I returned two days later to try on some tennis skirts I had seen at the shop. This time a different person was at the desk. I tried on about ten skirts, without anyone offering me the least bit of assistance. Even when I asked if something looked good, the answer was "it depends what you like". After deciding what I wanted to purchase, I hung up everything I tried on and had those items in one hand and the items I was purchasing in the other. The woman at the desk took the items I was purchasing and said, "I'll ring these up while you put back the rest". "What?" She wanted me to remerchandise the clothes I had tried on!! This wasn't a misunderstanding. I had her repeat herself.
The golf coarse is a nine hole course. The staff is every polite.... but wait to you hear this story. There is a 1/4 mile drive on roads between the 5th and 6th/7th holes and then 1/4 mile drive back for the final holes . As a joke, a staff member later told us, kids sometimes move the sign directing guests to these holes. So, you would think that they would provide a map, alert guests, something??? We drove around for 1/2 hour, returning to the direction post, and trying again and again before returning to the club house to ask directions. "Oh, yeah, someone told me that the sign was moved again," was the response we heard. The other thing you should know about the golf course is that "members" also see it as a park. The ninth hole must be a shortcut to somewhere because we played golf twice and both times we were held up by people taking strolls with their families. They didn't attempt to apologize, hurry along or even seem concerned they could be hit. I have never seen that anywhere.
After a while, if you are going to enjoy yourself, you have to just laugh. We did. Too much!! I almost forgot, upon checking out they didn't apply any of the American Express Fine Hotel credits. Watch your bill.

Room Tip: This resort has the potential to be amazing. I will look to see if changes are made, if not, the Bo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Claudia D, Manager at Fisher Island Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest of Fisher Island Resort,
Thank you for sharing with us the details of your recent visit to Fisher Island. We are honored to have had you as our guest.
First let me assure you that your confidence in our facilities is of the utmost importance. We are very proud of our team and are in a constant search to achieve the exceptional levels of service that you enjoyed at our Spa and Beach Club restaurant. We are also pleased that you were comfortable in our Villas.
We are pleased to let you know that we are in the final stages of our renovations of the Mansion and we are excited to unveil it once again so that our guests can enjoy all that Fisher Island Club has to offer. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you endured during your visit while we complete the work. We assure you that on your next visit to Fisher Island we should have the issue of noise and construction work resolved. This will allow us the tranquil retreat we are known for.
As for the missteps with the service at the Tennis Center as well as the lack of follow up on the electrical outage from our Management team we apologize. Please know that we have addressed each of your concerns with the appropriate Managers and staff to ensure that we have learned from our mistakes. We are in the midst of a new training program and will use your comments to help our team to better our service.
On a personal note, I would like to introduce myself to you as the new Hotel Manager. My name is Samuel Garcia and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so that I can be certain I understand all of the details of your stay. Please feel free to contact me by email at sgarcia@fisherislandclub.com so that we may make arrangements to speak. Additionally, I would like to personally assist you with your next reservation at Fisher Island Club so please feel free to contact me as you are making your next plans to visit the Miami area.
Thank you for helping us as we pursue “amazing.”

Been to Fisher Island Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!