“Love/Hate Relationship with Fisher Island” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fisher Island Hotel & Resort

You added Fisher Island Hotel & Resort to your Saves list
Fisher Island Hotel & Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   1 Fisher Island Dr., Fisher Island, Miami Beach, FL 33109   |
Ranked #50 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Chappaqua, New York
“Love/Hate Relationship with Fisher Island”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We just returned from a five night stay at Fisher Island. This hotel has some areas that operate at a five star level, while other areas operate at a two star level. I will explain. The Villa we stayed in was beautifully furnished and in good condition. The bathroom was modern and tastefully decorated, and had great closet and drawer space in a dressing area. Two sets of double doors opened to a private landscaped patio with a hot tub, two lounge chairs and seating area. However, our peaceful enjoyment of this space was seriously compromised by the noise of road traffic behind and in front of the villa due to construction of their Vanderbilt Mansion. We were notified by the hotel in advance about the construction, and were assured that our peaceful enjoyment of the property would not be effected. They assured us our villa was away from the construction. and we would have access to other swimming pools and the restaurant inside the mansion had been temporarily moved. The truth was that our villa was directly across from the mansion and that starting at 7:55AM there was constant noise from trucks backing up. When I say constant, I mean over an hour of high pitched beeping while dozens of trucks backed into the construction site. So, sleeping passed 8AM, or reading on the beautiful villa patio in the morning was completely out of the question. When I opened my door to leave for breakfast I was met by the site of huge moving trucks delivering furniture to the site and even louder beeping noises.
The hotel staff was very nice. But, there were unnecessary slights throughout our stay. For example, when you ask for a dinner reservation, instead of simply checking availability you are told they have to check with membership to see they can take the reservation. Equity members of the club have priority over hotel guests. When have you ever been to a five star resort and told you were NOT the priority? This is the same with access to the ferry. You sit and watch, wondering if you will make your dinner reservation, as equity members board first. As we learned, this is also an unnecessary slight, since everyone gets on the ferry. On our last night all the electricity in our Villa inexplicably went out. I was blow drying my hair, but nothing else, not even the tv, was on. We were given a flashlight and I went to the spa to finish getting ready. When we left for dinner the lights still were not restored. Usually a manager would contact a guest under these circumstances to apologize? Nothing.
The beach club was very nice and the service at the restaurant was excellent. But, please know the beach is no longer than a soccer field and on the weekends it is jammed packed with "members". And, they never let you forget you are not a "member". There is a sign saying that cabanas are free after noon if not reserved by a "member". So, one day at 12:15 I asked if I could sit in one and was told I could. Two hours later a towel boy comes over and says his manager wants to leave it free for members. By this time, the beach was jammed packed. I asked to speak with the manager, and of course she couldn't look us in the eye and tell us there was any place else for us to go, so she allowed us to stay with the admonishment, "just for today".
There is a much longer, one mile long beach, that is available to residence only. It is not difficult to figure out a way to trespass on this beach, but quite uncomfortable to do. Especially, when you are paying over $900 per night, with tagged on resort fees and taxes, to stay at a five star beach resort. Also, given that the hotel is so small, a hotel entrance gate for beach access would never be noticed by the condominium owners on "residence beach". The beach was practically empty.
The spa and gym were great in every way. Whomever runs the spa knows hospitality management. Each and every day the front desk greeted us with a smile; the classes were excellent and rigorous; the facility was clean and smelled great and the gym had every piece of equipment you could hope for. I had a facial and enjoyed it very much.
While the spa staff was clearly well trained, the tennis facility felt like a trip to a public tennis court. My heart is starting to beat faster just thinking about how upset I felt the two times I visited the courts. The tennis office staff is curt and barely looks at you when you walk in. The court we were directed to (court 5) had cracks on it and piles of sand in spots. There was a long yellow extension cord sloppily placed on the side of the court and a water fountain (the kind you see in old schools) and no cups for water. I took a sip of the water from the fountain and not only was it warm, but it tasted vial. The tennis facility is also under construction, so to return to the tennis office guests have to walk quite a long way around construction fencing. When I explained the water situation and requested a pitcher of ice water and cups (something every five star resort I have ever been to provides) the person at the desk actually rolled her eyes at me and said "we don't do that". She pointed out to me where I can get cups and directed me to the ice machine. This wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for the construction. You can't go for a refill without having to walk around all the construction fencing again. My husband and I each took two cups and actually conserved water in order to play out our game. But, this isn't the end of it. I returned two days later to try on some tennis skirts I had seen at the shop. This time a different person was at the desk. I tried on about ten skirts, without anyone offering me the least bit of assistance. Even when I asked if something looked good, the answer was "it depends what you like". After deciding what I wanted to purchase, I hung up everything I tried on and had those items in one hand and the items I was purchasing in the other. The woman at the desk took the items I was purchasing and said, "I'll ring these up while you put back the rest". "What?" She wanted me to remerchandise the clothes I had tried on!! This wasn't a misunderstanding. I had her repeat herself.
The golf coarse is a nine hole course. The staff is every polite.... but wait to you hear this story. There is a 1/4 mile drive on roads between the 5th and 6th/7th holes and then 1/4 mile drive back for the final holes . As a joke, a staff member later told us, kids sometimes move the sign directing guests to these holes. So, you would think that they would provide a map, alert guests, something??? We drove around for 1/2 hour, returning to the direction post, and trying again and again before returning to the club house to ask directions. "Oh, yeah, someone told me that the sign was moved again," was the response we heard. The other thing you should know about the golf course is that "members" also see it as a park. The ninth hole must be a shortcut to somewhere because we played golf twice and both times we were held up by people taking strolls with their families. They didn't attempt to apologize, hurry along or even seem concerned they could be hit. I have never seen that anywhere.
After a while, if you are going to enjoy yourself, you have to just laugh. We did. Too much!! I almost forgot, upon checking out they didn't apply any of the American Express Fine Hotel credits. Watch your bill.

Room Tip: This resort has the potential to be amazing. I will look to see if changes are made, if not, the Bo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Claudia D, Manager at Fisher Island Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest of Fisher Island Resort,
Thank you for sharing with us the details of your recent visit to Fisher Island. We are honored to have had you as our guest.
First let me assure you that your confidence in our facilities is of the utmost importance. We are very proud of our team and are in a constant search to achieve the exceptional levels of service that you enjoyed at our Spa and Beach Club restaurant. We are also pleased that you were comfortable in our Villas.
We are pleased to let you know that we are in the final stages of our renovations of the Mansion and we are excited to unveil it once again so that our guests can enjoy all that Fisher Island Club has to offer. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you endured during your visit while we complete the work. We assure you that on your next visit to Fisher Island we should have the issue of noise and construction work resolved. This will allow us the tranquil retreat we are known for.
As for the missteps with the service at the Tennis Center as well as the lack of follow up on the electrical outage from our Management team we apologize. Please know that we have addressed each of your concerns with the appropriate Managers and staff to ensure that we have learned from our mistakes. We are in the midst of a new training program and will use your comments to help our team to better our service.
On a personal note, I would like to introduce myself to you as the new Hotel Manager. My name is Samuel Garcia and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so that I can be certain I understand all of the details of your stay. Please feel free to contact me by email at sgarcia@fisherislandclub.com so that we may make arrangements to speak. Additionally, I would like to personally assist you with your next reservation at Fisher Island Club so please feel free to contact me as you are making your next plans to visit the Miami area.
Thank you for helping us as we pursue “amazing.”

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is a must for everyone. A wonderful experience. The staff were so friendly and welcoming. The resort itself has perfect gardens and beaches, the detail given to the surroundings is amazing.
The avery was a real fun trip daily in golf cart - the cockatoo was so funny and loves to dance.
The staff in the restuarants were wonderful and so helpful and especially at the beach restaurant where they gave personnal recommendations - and they were right!
The food was beautiful, fresh and beautifully presented. It was a pleasure for people to serve you and make your stay so relaxing and perfect.
Tiny down side was the female staff in the deli were not so over the moon to work in such a wonderful place and a smile would help.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the Villas or even better Rosemarys Cottage it is beautiful. Our door jacuzzi is a r...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Montreal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Fisher Island Club sold me a room and then decided to not honor the price that they offered. They charged my card for an unauthorized amount without my consent. The reservation process was a nightmare. I now have to dispute the charge with my credit card company. Fisher Island Club does not want to take responsibility for their mistakes. Be wary before giving them your credit card number. They take about a week to answer to one email. Terrible customer service! They consider themselves a five star resort but they give one star customer service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

This resort does it all extremely well. Service, food, staff, rooms, bathrooms, etc. I had a relaxing time here with my wife. I am perplexed that some folks are talking about its bad location....this place is pretty much paradise away from the hustle and bustle of South Beach. You don't stay here to get access to Miami Beach, you stay here to get away from it all.

The rooms are styled a bit more contemporary than your other options in Miami Beach, so don't expect a W look and feel. The views out across the water are fantastic, and the beaches are great.

I had a fun time running around the island and exploring the various communities that exist within it.

Room Tip: I don't know if there is a bad room in the entire place.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Claudia D, Hotel Director at Fisher Island Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Dear Guest,
It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed your stay at Fisher Island Hotel & Resort. As you mentioned, it is a unique location that make us a "Unique Paradise".
Thanks for your great review and we will look forward to welcome you back in the near future.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Excellent Stay. We stayed in one of the renovated cottages, they are quite large, with enormous bathrooms (we are from Manhattan ha-ha), good size living rooms. All beautifully done.The bed was very comfortable, no noise in the bedroom whatsoever, plenty closet space. The bathrooms come with Aqua di Parma Toiletries, and they are not skimpy about it. The shower has amazing pressure. The one comment I would make is that bath sheets may be more in keep with the high level than bath towels.
We went to the beach club daily, food was lovely we felt very well taken care of by the staff. All are incredibly professional, personable and helpful. They make sure your golf cart is charged every night and you have everything you need.
I've had one of the best massages ever in the SPA. If you want to indulge ask for the banana and Nutella waffle for breakfast at the Beach Club. BTW their sushi is excellent as well.
I'm one of those people who is not in love with Miami, so for people like me this is the only way to do it, being separate but still close to restaurants etc...
Therefore, next year when we have to go back again we will be most certainly staying here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for an amazing review! Yes, as you mentioned, we do have newly renovated cottages and soon we will open our brand new spa, where you can continue experiencing the best massages and service. It is fantastic to know that our selective clientele continues to enjoy the secrets that Fisher Island Hotel & Resort have to offer.
Thanks for staying with us and it will be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.
Dubrovnik, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

This is à true gem. Unpresidented location, well maintained and extremely private

Great beach + bar + beach restaurant. The service is great. As are all other restaurants on this Private Island.

If you book ask for a room owned by The hotel, They are Nice, The privately owned rooms are outdated.

Great for Children.

• Stayed August 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

First I want to point out that I'm rating our experience 4-stars primarily due to the location, the beach club and island amenities, and the very courteous, professional manner in which the staff addressed our issues. There is so much to be enjoyed here, but some kinks just need to be worked out, particularly among the condo-pool (owners' units).

To be clear, there is the "hotel" area of this property which are charming and beautifully decorated historic villas around the Vanderbuilt estate which is a Fisher Island landmark. And then there are individual condo units that are independently owned but are in the hotel pool. When I had originally booked a 1 bedroom condo with an ocean view, what we actually got was rather disappointing. The unit was very small and dated, and had only a partial ocean view. Management, however, was very quick and kind to upgrade us into a direct oceanfront 2 bedroom unit that had just been redecorated. It was very clean with great natural light and nice beach decor, and a gorgeous, over-sized balcony.

But then came the bugs. Big ones. Keep in mind we are very long time Floridians and totally get that bugs are going to be around. Giant, flying palmetto bugs and roaches live outside in the palm trees and shrubbery but will glad take residence in yours if you don't have doors and windows properly sealed. The first thing we noticed was that there was a 2 inch gap under the front door and we promptly called to have maintenance do something to seal it. We had to place a towel against the door overnight until they came to fix it the next day. This would be an example of the issues between condo-owner vs. hotel management. Really, this should have been something the owner should have never overlooked, but the hotel had to hear of our complaints. And for several nights, we had to kill a few roaches that had already creeped in, and on our last day noticed ants had made their way in too. One more thing about the very large, flying palmetto bugs....every evening that we returned from a night out, and made our way up the stairs to the second floor unit, we prepared ourselves to go to battle with these giant disgusting things. They'd be sitting on the wall or front door just waiting. One time as my husband hit one with his shoe, another flew onto his head, and the neighbors must have wondered just what in the heck was going on every night that they'd hear me screaming.

Next issue was frequent internet outages. The first was understandable, due to a severe thunderstorm that had moved through the area. But the internet was out for 24 hours and thereafter continued to be spotty over the next few days of our stay.

These issues aside, the island is a real delight. The beach club is fantastic, and all the restaurants there on the island are quite good. Fisher Island is like a private oasis at the end of bustling South Beach. It is quiet enough that you feel you're just removed from the fast-paced
Miami scene, but yet just a ferry ride away. Speaking of the ferry, learn the schedule so that you're not spending so much time waiting. If you're not a patient person, getting on and off the island via ferry may wear on your nerves.

At the end of our visit, the hotel management was very gracious and understanding of our issues, and gave us a complimentary night as well as removed internet charges. I would consider returning because once the kinks have been worked out it is a very nice getaway, definitely lending a more residential feel rather than staying at a hotel or resort property. It's a unique gem.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Fisher Island Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!