Originally I had focused on finding a room with an Ocean view for a 2 night mid week trip to South Beach in late April 2009 with my girlfriend, but after reading some of the reviews for hotels on Ocean Drive I determined that it would probably be too noisy for my liking to stay at any hotel on Ocean Drive due to their proximity to Ocean Drive traffic, clubs, etc.
My priorities for a hotel were cleanliness, location, lack of noise at night and value. With that being said, I narrowed down my choice to The Essex House for the following reasons:
1) Excellent TripAdvisor reviews for value, customer service, lack of noise, cleanliness, etc.
2) Close to the beach (1 short block), but far enough away from the noise of Ocean Drive.
3) Cool veranda, courtyard and little pool.
From the time we checked in we realized we had picked the right hotel. Although we arrived at The Essex House around Noon which was well before the 3 PM or 4 PM check in time, they had a room available for us and allowed us to check in when I assumed we would only be able to store our bags until check in. Our interaction with all the staff at The Essex House was equally positive from that moment on. BTW, Chris at the front desk also later granted us a late check out as well.
We found everyone at The Essex House to be friendly, very pleasant, customer service orientated and genuinely interested in being helpful. Chris at the front desk greeted me by name each day when I requested his assistance for things like beach towels, ice or resetting our door key. Stephanie the manager, inquired about our stay and solicited our feedback. Ralph addressed me and my girlfriend by our first names when storing our luggage, obtaining a taxi for our departure, etc. Mykel spent sometime giving us the local’s insight on how SoBe changes during the holiday weekends, etc.
Some things to keep in mind when staying at The Essex House:
1) For breakfast and lunch we suggest the Front Porch Café which is fairly close and good.
2) For dinner we recommend Puerto Sagua which is fairly close and has great Cuban food.
3) You can obtain beach towels from the front desk.
4) The Essex House is within walking distance of most everything except Lincoln Road Mall and Espanola Way (For most people).
5) You can get a discounted rate on beach umbrella’s and chairs from Bouchette rentals at 9th street on the beach by mentioning you are staying at The Essex House.
6) The Essex House is about 20 – 30 minutes from MIA depending on traffic.
7) The Essex House and many of the hotels in South Beach are older which means they tend to be a little smaller than what you might be used too and may have some wear. With that being said, have realistic expectations.
8) The air conditioning unit is a bit loud, but it didn’t bother us. The noise from the A/C can help drown out any unwanted noise that may occur outside of the hotel so we would not view it as a problem.
9) The Essex House serves decent regular coffee in their bar area in the morning, but no food. If you’re a coffee snob or drink decaf, there is a Starbucks a couple streets North.
After our 2 night stay at The Essex House we can say our expectations were exceeded. Our standard room was clean, quiet at night for sleeping, in a great location, comfortable, with outstanding staff providing excellent customer service that made it a great value. We really enjoyed the Art Deco design of the building, cool veranda, courtyard and pool and will stay there again when we come back.
We highly recommend you consider The Essex House for your stay in South Beach unless you require a room with an Ocean view, a hotel that is 4 star or higher or a hotel that has a restaurant onsite.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Essex House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Essex House Hotel Miami Beach
- Essex Hotel Miami Beach
- Essex House Hotel South Beach
- Essex Miami Beach