“Great Location, Great Staff, Small Rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #34 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great Location, Great Staff, Small Rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I recently stayed at Essex House for a long weekend. The location is fantastic, 1/2 a block off Ocean Drive on South Beach!

From the moment I checked in the staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.

Despite being in the heart of South Beach and located immediately next to the Clevelander, my room was quiet and I was seldom bothered by noise. I can be sensitive to noises at night and there was MUCH less than I anticipated.

My room was small but it was clean and very comfortable. The only thing missing was a good workspace. Even though it was a weekend, I like to stay in touch with email, etc...

Overall, I strongly recommend Essex House especially for couples/friends/solo.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Turkish first
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

The Essex House has an exceptionl location, one block from Ocean Drive and the beach, right on shopping-oriented Collins Ave. It is one of the Art Deco hotels, so expect the lobby area to be periodically invaded by groups that listen to a guide depicting some of the objects (they will say out loud how much two of the objects cost). It is also located in a busy neighborhood, so don't be surprised if the veranda is visited by some night creatures looking for a seat.

Of course the hotel is oriented towards holidays and vacations - event the one-page contract you sign is written with a sense of humor. I got a comfortable room overlooking the side street. Staying at the Essex, you have access to the adjoining Clevelander with its bars and pool. Service is friendly but when I needed directions in the nearby area I had to ask my smartphone.

Thing is, I was there on a business trip. The hotel had no meeting rooms, and they arranged a room at the Clevelander - not really a meeting room, but a bar with color light all over the ceiling. The bars at the Cleveland will provide you with more noise than you are going to want if you have to wake up early the next day. And take note, I was there in the winter when it's calm.

A nice thing: in the afternoon, a free glass of wine or a beer are offered in the lobby.

So to summarize: nice rooms, nice lobby, poor breakfast, great location, good entertaining if you are in vacations, completely unfit for business. Just make sure what you are looking for before you go!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

My friend & I stayed here for 3 nights and could not fault it! The location was outstanding - 3 mins walk to the beach & all the cool shops & nightlife! The breakfast was not the best breakfast I've ever had but had all we needed to start the day!
The staff were very friendly as well - would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Request one furthest away from the Clevelander hotel next door :)
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Had we known we would have booked away from the horny, drunky college kids and NOT here at party central. We were flying out next day and were looking forward to a nice wind down evening to our Florida vacation, we are from Canada so had no idea it was "Spring Break". We were on the main floor and our window faced another building a few feet away and their windows...so we had to have the drapes closed the whole time. The a/c was really loud but not enough to cancel out the bass beat coming from the Clevelander bars bass beat, thumping, thumping late into the night. I called front desk to see if they could or would move us up a floor or two to be away from the noise but no, they wouldn't. There were no more rooms available for the $ we paid. The restaurant was good and the food was terrific. The lobby furniture looks a little worn and tired.

Room Tip: Do not get the rooms on the first floor for starters and unless you wanna party with the kids stay a...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Essex House is a very nice art deco property set back a block from noisy Ocean Boulevard. Despite being there over a weekend, we never heard a sound from our room, which overlooked a courtyard. The veranda off the lobby is a little noisy due to traffic and construction on Collins Ave., but it is still nice to sit at. The hotel is clean and well managed. Nice breakfast and happy hour. Pool area is small but nice. Rooms are functional with a smallish bath. Shelves are over the toilet, so keep the lid down. Convenient to all the restaurants on Ocean Blvd. The area is okay, but it gets a little more upscale as you go north. If you get tired of the overpriced Ocean Blvd. street restaurants, cheap eats near the Essex are David's Cuban restaurant and the Diner, both about a block to the north.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
allentown, pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stayed in a King suite (which is located in a courtyard) for three nights. Unfortunately we paid about $300 a night, which I think is pretty steep. However, the location was perfect and we wanted to be in an Art Deco hotel. The suite was very spacious, but there was one problem that I think is unforgiveable--no place to put your clothing other than a closet with one high shelf and hanging space. There was absolutely no drawers, no dresser! With all that room, I don't understand why. I had to put my underwear, pjs, etc on the bottom level of the coffee table. Weird. The bathroom was similar. A lot of space, but no drawers. Thankfully there was a large window ledge. The room was clean and the bed linens were very fresh and felt good. There was a bar sink and small fridge and a keurig with some coffees and teas. The bottled water was $6, so we didn't touch it! The room was comfortable, but they could have fit a full sized couch instead of the two-seater. They also had two comfy armchairs. There was a pub table and two wire bar stools that were hideously uncomfortable. The lighting could also have been improved with another lamp or higher wattage bulbs. With such a lovely courtyard, it would have been nice to have a small chair on the patio to enjoy the fountains and peace and quiet. Because it was quiet! We had two small problems--the toilet seat was broken and there was no hot water the first morning. However, both were fixed quickly. The staff was extremely friendly and courteous at the front desk. The breakfast was adequate, but we felt the staff there was not as quick to refill muffins, fruit etc. We felt like what the put out at first was supposed to last through the morning. (That was kind of like the sushi at happy hour. but it is free, so we aren't complaining). Parking ...there is a garage next door. If you tell them how long you are staying at the Essex and prepay, they will give you a receipt that will allow you to come and go. You just need to get the attendant's attention. Even if the garage is "full", all you need to do is honk and you will be allowed to park because you have prepaid. It was $25 a day, which is cheaper than valet (which I think is $37). We did not use the pool, but did use access to Clevelander's rooftop deck, which is spectacular.

Room Tip: If you don't mind steps, I might suggest a higher floor in the courtyard building because you co...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bloomfield Hills, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

They are both owned by the same folks, the Clevelander is for the younger generation and right on Ocean Blvd., the Essex House is right behind the Clevelander and sits on Collins Ave. and is more sedate, family or not-hot-to-trot-see-and-be-seen couples oriented. The staff is friendly, courteous and helpful. The wifi is free. The free breakfast is continental style. Parking is a bit of a problem unless you valet to get guaranteed entry into the parking garage next door.

The rooms and bath are spacious (at least in the suite we had), the windows are newer and do a good job of keeping out outside noise (there is construction across the street at present). There is new carpet on the floor. The bed linens, mattresses and pillows all seem to also be new. The decor is a bit dated, but I'd guess they are going for a period look, so maybe the dating is by design?

Nice South Beach location so pretty much everything is in walking distance.

I'd recommend EH, don't think you can go wrong here. Oh, did I mention the free beer and wine between 4:30 and 5:30pm in the lobby? And who else has a chrome space ship for sale for only $65k (? I think that was the price?) in the lobby?

Room Tip: The restaurant is closed on Mon. when we were there, so that's why I can't tell you about it...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Essex House? Share your experiences!