“Delightful Art Deco Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #38 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Perth, Australia
“Delightful Art Deco Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

On Collins Avenue Miami beach. We stayed in a suite, at a good rate using www.expedia.com.au , so had no problems with space as described by other reviewers. Comfortable without compromising the Art Deco style of this refurbished hotel. If you have some difficulty with mobilty there are about ten steps into the suites and the shower is in a huge jaccuzi which is difficult to step out of as it is so high. Included breakfast was limited but filling and in continental-style. As it was so hot we sat in the airconditioning inside - not very comfortable with tiny stools instead of tables. The verandah with table and chairs looked tempting but when we were there it was too humid to sit out. All the staff members were very friendly and couldn't have been more helpful with advice of where to shop or eat. Everyone was welcoming and determined to make our stay a happy one.

Because it was so hot and humid, our ability to walk around was limited. The beach was scorching. So we took a couple of tours. The Duck Tour was great but we were disappointed with the city tour with the same company because there was little information given and we didn't appreciate the tour guide's repetitive, weird sense of humour. But we did find the historical Venetian pool part of the tour interesting. You could be lucky and get a different guide.

On the strength of previous reviews we searched out the Sushi Saigon restaurant in Washington St which had excellent service and good Vietnamese food. Interesting black and red decor. Also enjoyed Italian food at Hosteria Romania in Espanol street

Due to the heat, we hired an airconditioned car for a day and tried to get to Key West but ran out of time thanks to the traffic. We reached Big Pine Keys at lunchtime so we checked our tourist info and searched out the No Name Pub. If you are down that way it is worth a visit for the history and excellent food and service.

A warning though, Miami airport is a disaster - very inefficient with extremely long waits to get through immigration, so wear comfortable shoes if standing for long periods is a problem.

• Liked — Boutique Hotel so more personal
  • Disliked — Breakfast in the bar using stools as tables
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Turkish first
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

While looking for a different hotel to stay in on my trip this year to South Beach I was reminded of a bad experience I had at Essex House last year as a Birthday and Graduation present. The hotel decor was great the room was ok for the price until realizing the room was infested with bed bugs the next morning. They were all over the sheets, our food, and the table and phone book. we were moved to another room and given spray to spray our luggage with upon request. There was also another couple moving to another room due to water leaks in there room. To sum it up I will not recommend this hotel to anyone and a little advice choose carefully where you stay. I read reviews now and dont think so much about finding a cheap hotel.

• Liked — decorations in lobby and patio area
  • Disliked — BED BUGS I hate Bugs you can also carry them home with you or in theis case we could have carried them on the cruise ship
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
royal cliff grand pattaya thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

Stayed here for two weeks over Christmas 2007. It was our first time to Miami and had read the reviews of this hotel. The position is really good, walking distance to everything. We especially enjoyed the comp. breakfast - just perfect to line the stomach before setting off for a day somewhere. Very helpful staff and always obliging.
The rooms are a bit tired but for the price - what do you expect.
Miami itself was a wonderful experience. We did a lot of tours and trips as there is so much to see.
Our next trip to Miami will definitely include a stay at The Essex.
Don't go expecting 5 star, just go there and enjoy all it has to offer. You won't be sorry.
A great base for the area.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Charlotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

As soon as we stepped foot in The Essex house we felt relaxed and comfortable. The customer service is unbeatable, you could not ask for a better location, great drinks at the bar with half price happy hour from 4-6pm daily, rooms have everything you could possibly need (great down pillows and comforter), great pool with flat screen TV, amazing patio with board games, more flat screens and couches. You are one block from Ocean drive and the beach. Mangos, Fat tuesdays and wet willies are only 2 or 3 blocks away. Tons of resturaunts only a few blocks away as well! Any time we go back to South Beach The Essex house is where we will stay. The price, location and customer service are unbeatable!! You could not ask for more!

• Liked — Location and customer service
  • Disliked — No cons
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

I'm always on tripadvisor reading and rereading reviews for the various hotels I plan on visiting. My girlfriends and I decided on the Essex House because of the reviews, the price and location. We NEVER regretted it. And on the many nights we passed by the other hotels in our SoBe stay, we all commented on how HAPPY we were that we chose our hotel. The rooms were a nice size (we had 2 double rooms), clean and because our rooms faced Collins, we had a great view of this busy street. The location is IDEAL!...just a half of block from Ocean Drive and the beach. Although they are doing construction behind the hotel (Clevlander) and in front of the hotel, we were never disturbed by the noise or construction crew/equipment. We fell in love with the staff (Allison, Mike (Brooklyn), Mike (Miami), because they were all sooooooo helpful and accomodating. I would definately stay here again. I would DEFINATELY recommend this to my friends. I'm EXTREMELY HAPPY we chose this hotel.

Stayed July 2008
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

I read MANY reviews on this hotel before we booked & after we booked, some reviews had me worried but after actually experiencing ourselves we realized the bad reviews were probably people that should have been staying at Delano or Loews, etc. I felt very comfortable here & LOVED its charm! Everything about the outside patio/pool area was nice to hang outside daily/nightly. One day they set out boardgames all over the patio tables & lobby, I thought that was a neat idea.

The Clevelander next door was under extensive construction but only noticed it being extremely loud on our last day there, and that was by the pool, it didnt bother us from our room (which overlooked the pool on 10th st side.)
It was a great location to Lincoln rd shopping/restaurants, the beach, all the excitement on Ocean ave.
The staff is the best, very informative & helpful. We tried to get a late checkout as our flight left Friday evening & we wanted to go to the beach one last time & then be able to take a shower & check out but they had a full house so we had to skip the shower & the comfort of our room. They did make sure we were still comfortable once we checked out & hung out there after the beach & again after lunch. :) Domingo & Mike are the only names I remember (they were great), as well as I believe Gabriel & Charles I think their names were.
There isnt an ice machine in the hall or a fridge in our room but everytime we needed ice they gladly got some for us from the bar.
The lobby is really nice & big with a tv. There was lemonade apples & cookies in the afternoon & complimentary breakfast was great (fresh fruit, bagels, muffins, yogurt, croissants, orange juice, coffee, milk, cereal). Daily newspapers at your door....
Small elevator for only 3 people at a time but we hardly ever had to wait for it.
As another person said on here, the pool closes at 8 but they let us stay in it longer twice & said nothing to us. There were 2 or 3 tvs out on the patio also.
The shower had great pressure & everything in the room was clean, big closet with plenty hanging space as well as drawers. Bathroom was older but not dirty, I think it was great. The bath did fill up while showering but that is expected with sand in there all the time I would imagine.
The bed was really cozy as well as the pillows & down comforter! We didnt have any problem getting to sleep at night as far as noise went. But I also wasnt there on the weekend, so I cant vouge for that.
There was a weird smell upon entering the room but it wasnt something that was unbearable, just maybe a smell that is hard to get out without opening windows & with wet towels/swimsuits from the beach hanging in there all the time I can understand why. I think I got used to the scent after being there for a day or so. The air worked great in there too. I have read reviews about bugs etc....but I didnt see one bug in the hotel in 5 days stay.

I could go on & on, I really dont think I have one negative comment about Essex House Hotel. In my book, two thumbs up!

• Liked — comfortable, clean, not your avg paper cut out hotel, very charming . pool & location
  • Disliked — I liked everything
Ft Laud
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

We stayed here for one night. We booked it on Bookit.com and got a great rate of $89 ($103 with taxes and fees) for a standard queen bed room.
The reception we got from the staff (bellhop, doorman and desk) was great. They greeted us by name. They don't have a valet, so you will have to park in the garage next door ($24) or find street parking and deal with meters. The garage was close by and clean.
The room was nice, large, and bright (we had a full wall of windows).
There is construction underway next door at the Clevelander, so sitting by the pool is noisy.
Bring ear plugs to sleep. You will hear music from neighboring lounges if you have a room facing 10th Street or Collins Avenue.
The free breakfast in the morning was very nice.
They will loan you beach chairs for the pool with a refundable deposit.
The beach is literally 1/2 block away.
All in all, we got great value for our money and we had a pleasant stay.

• Liked — Rate
  • Disliked — Noise
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Essex House? Share your experiences!