“Great Art Deco Charm, close to beach” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #30 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Rochester, New York
“Great Art Deco Charm, close to beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We spent one night at the Essex. We had a wonderful room with large corner window looking down street toward beach. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. We enjoyed the complimentary wine during happy hour out on their porch. The hotel is located just one block from Ocean Drive and South Beach. We had a very enjoyable stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

1,010 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Turkish first
Paramaribo, Suriname
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I tried this hotel based on the reviews I read here on Trip Advisor and I was not disappointed. It is a basic hotel, so if you are looking for luxury this might not be the place for you. But I thought it was nice and comfortable.

Rooms
The hotel room was clean and that in my opinion is the most important thing. Our bathroom was quite small but not uncomfortable. The rooms have no microwave, but we were able to get hot water to make baby food from the restaurant. I cannot remember a refrigerator being there, but this hotel was the first of 3 hotels I was in during my trip, so details might be a be a bit fuzzy. My room had a view from the side street and that was quite nice look to at (people watching lol). Collins Ave was under construction so that might be different for people facing that side of the hotel.

Location
Best feature of this hotel!
We got there by taking the bus at MIA after we arrived. Really easy and really cheap! When we left, we took a taxi to the rental car company, which was not too far and then came back with the rental car to pick up our luggage.
We walked every where and really enjoyed South Beach. When we got tired or my little one fell asleep we took a taxi back and the price was never very high. At the same time the hotel is far enough from the South Beach partying that we could get a great nights sleep. The moment you get out of the hotel, just walk a block and you are at the beach, at the party, the cocktails and at the restaurants!

Restaurant
Which brings me to the restaurant. Although we usually had our meals at one of the numerous restaurants which are more or less around the corner, we decided one night to try the food at the restaurant in the hotel. Since my toddler was already asleep, the hubby went downstairs and brought the food up. (Also I think the restaurant setting was quite romantic and I did not want to mess up someones romantic dinner with a 3 year olds' tantrums LOL). Anyway the food was really nice, so try it!

Breakfast was included but I did not try it. The hubby did and he said it was not a lot.

Overall I had a great stay at this hotel I would certainly recommend it and I would surely stay again. NICE!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Enola, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I just returned from my trip and stay at the Essex House. I can not say enough positive things about this hotel and the staff. They treated me like family from the moment I checked in until the time I left. This hotel was super clean! If you needed anything the staff was more than willing to do what was needed to make sure you were happy. I highly suggest everyone check this place out as I promise you will not be disappointed! The front desk staff, especially Quincy and Juliana, were the best! Like I said I cannot say enough positive things except please go to this hotel if you like to be pampered and feel special and not like some number like the big hotel chains make you feel.

Room Tip: If you can, I suggest getting a suite! They are absolutely amazing. Like having your own studio ap...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
EssexHouseTeam, Manager at Essex House, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Kimberly,

Thank you for the wonderful review! We will be sharing your comments with our entire company, and will make sure the associates you mentioned know how much you enjoyed your stay.

The Essex House Team
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I just came back from a weekend trip to South Beach where we stayed at the Essex Hotel. This hotel is located right in the middle of all of the action of South Beach. We never had to walk far to get to anything on South Beach. The staff was very accommodating and provided great customer service. The front desk clerk, Quincy, was awesome! He gave us suggestions for restaurants and night spots, and acknowledged my birthday with well wishes! Great customer service!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Upon check in we were upgraded to a King Suite which was incredible! After a long flight the jacuzzi bath was the perfect place to relax. The hotel is nice and quiet but as it is adjacent to the Clevelander you can get to a fun, party spot within seconds. The beach is nearby too which was great. The staff were so nice and helpful, we were really blown away by the level of service! I loved the hotel's facade too, typical Miami Beach Art Deco, it felt like it was right out of a movie! The Happy Hour was a nice bonus too, the wine was really nice and my husband enjoyed a few beers! The free sushi was gorgeous and we ended up eating in the japanese restaurant afterward as a result. We were only sorry we didn't stay longer, we had a great time at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Loved staying here and the attention to details of the staff. We got in before check in time to just drop off our bags, but the staff at the front desk checked and since our room was ready let us check in before which was awesome. The locality of the Essex can not be beat. The bed was so comfy. The sushi restaurant is also amazing. I will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed September 2013
Varese, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I loved this hotel. Everything was great.
Well maintained with an old fashioned atmosphere. Great art deco design in lovely lobby area.My room was very nice and clean. Breakfast was excellent. Staff was really helpful. I appreciated fresh lemonade in lobby area and the afternoon wine & beer!!
The location is perfect: in the heart of district and the beach is across the street.
Yes, it was a lot of noise, but.... it's Miami !!!
I enjoyed my stay and I would be back ....

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Essex House? Share your experiences!