“Quiet side ofThe Clevelander” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #42 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Wapakoneta, Ohio
“Quiet side ofThe Clevelander”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Sister property to The Clevelander. We were booked at The Clevelander but had no problem moving to the Essex House once given the option. If you need what the Clevelander has you can walk there in a few minutes. This is right on South Beach and less than a 5 minute walk to the beach. Continental breakfast was fair at best but overall would stay here again. Staff very polite and hospitable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Turkish first
Purmerend, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have been a few times in Miami but this hotel is on a perfect spot.
Close to where you want to be but still quiet and not as busy as the hotel next door (Clevelander)
We had a very good deal : 175 dollar for 2 nights. The people are very friendly and room was nice.
Free continental breakfast + happy hour with free beers.

Would like to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 7 days pre-Christmas and post-New Years on our way to Macchu Picchu and Easter Island. We really enjoyed our stay at Essex house. The hotel is one block from the beach and right in the centre of south beach. The staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful. The sushi was very good!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Stamford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I was on holiday in Miami in May, staying one week, then flying to Indianapolis for a work conference then back to Miami for a further week, before flying back to the UK.

I pre booked the Essex House Hotel before leaving the UK. The first week in a standard double room, and splashed out on a suite for the second week.

On arrival, I struggled with my three suitcases carrying them up the front stairs and through the lobby - no help offered. The lady on reception was very brusque to the point of being aggressive and fired questions at me - how many people are staying in the room? if you bring uninvited guests you will be charged extra, etc etc Not a great start.

The room was ok, dated and musty smelling, tiny bathroom, with broken and tired accessories. Worst of all, there was no hot water. Several calls and mentions at the desk brought the same answer, The building is old, so no hot water... try leaving the shower/tap to run for 15 mins - this didn't work.

The excuse that the building is old really is laughable - the hotels in my home town are from the 17th century, and they have no problem offering hot water!

The rate I paid wasn't cheap at over £120 a night - but for the entire stay in the main building, there was no hot water - so taking a shower and washing had to be done in freezing cold water. An apology was given on check out, but no discount or gesture.

When I returned to the hotel on the second week, my 'suite' was in the adjecent building. It was bigger than the standard room, but still dated with the musty smell that is apparent in this hotel.

This time, the air con didn't work. Every day of my stay, I had to contact reception to get the unit fixed, which meant two service men on ladders in my bathroom, removing a ceiling hatch, and banging around for an hour or so - and then repeating this every few hours or the next day, when the unit stopped working.

Air Con in south beach is essential, and this spoilt my stay.

I was woken up regularly in the 'suite' as cleaning staff and other guests, walked past my window with clanging service carts and loud voices as they accessed other rooms and walked up the adjacent stairs to get to first floor rooms.

In the bathroom there was a jacuzzi which was nice to use, although bizarrely, to turn the taps on, you had to stand in the tub, as they were on the far wall, then rush to jump out so you didn't get wet, and wait for the tub to fill - odd arrangement :-)

The room wasn't a 'suite' by normal hotel standards, and was disappointing.

The lady on reception who greeted me, was also training a new member of staff - her coaching skills were an example of how not to coach/train someone. She barked orders at him, then took over the task sighing loudly and saying to me, 'he's new, sorry'. The poor guy, I'd rather have been served by him anyday!

The young lady, again barked a number of questions at me - some very personal and I found her totally off putting. The other people I came into contact with at reception - namely the guys, were all very good, friendly and nice.

The British guy at the bar was also very good and personable.

Each night there was a happy hour, with free wine or beer, which was a good touch.

The swimming pool was tiny, locked after 5pm and despite being told was open at 9am, was still locked at 11am the next day - it was also in the shade for most of the day - so I didn't bother with the pool - it was useless.

I feel really bad writing this review, as I generally look for the positives in all my hotel stays, but the service and the accommodation was very disappointing for the cost - and being told, 'well this is good for south beach', is not a good enough excuse.

Would I return? Not likely! Having stayed in South Beach three times, now, and if you want to stay in the area around 11th Street - then choose Dream Hotel - much nicer rooms and service, and a top quality pool area.

Room Tip: can't comment
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Really good hotel in a great location. 1 block from the beach and right in the centre of south beach.
Probably the most helpful and friendly staff in the industry, very polite and professional at all times with a personal service.
Stayed in a suite which was superb, very large room in a private area at he back of the hotel.
All of the good shops and restaurants are close by too.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed at the Essesx House June 2013. The suite was super huge and clean. The suites are in the back of the main hotel in a different building. You walk through the hallway of the main hotel, through a door which leads you to an outdoor pathway/sidewalk, and the suites are right there. Location is great, 10th and Collins...One block away from Ocean DR.

However, the room phone was not working. I went to the front desk and informed them of this issue. They then told me they were in the process of switching phone companies. I said yall should have told me that before I paid my $350.00 for a suite, I could have went elsewhere. I hate being inconvenienced. Meanwhile, they applied a $50 credit to my room which I used for food and drinks at the Clevelander.

Also, the actual pool at the Essex house is super small and crammed. It looks like a kiddy pool. The Clevelander is the sister hotel next door, on 10th and Ocean, which guests have access to all their amenities as well. However, the Clevelanders outdoor pool was under construction. WOW, REALLY!!! They have happy hour at Clevelander, half of drinks and food. Chicken was good. Clevelander has an outside club on Ocean Drive, and a rooftop bar, in which I enjoyed both. Overall great location, but small pool was a major downfall.

Room Tip: Next time I will stay at a different hotel and just go to the bar at the Clevelander.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
london, on
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Took bus 150 from airport $2.35. Can't beat the price and so easy. Just follow the pink signs at the airport. I have never been here before and was surprised at how easy it was.

This hotel was in a great location in South Beach. Lovely art deco hotel. Close to everything.

Stayed June 29th till July 2nd

This was my first time in SoBe and I had a blast. Our room was just fine. Not big, but not to small. Yes the air-conditioning was loudish but it was the fan noise and it drowned out all noise from hall ways ect.
It would have been nice if the bathroom had sink counter space but there were shelves. We were only there for a few days anyway.

Great continental breakfast to start off our day. Croissants, muffins, toast, pastries, fruit, yogurt, cereal, orange juice, ice water, coffee, & tea

Staff were friendly and helpful.
I would definitely stay here again.

The elevator was super cute. Maximum 3 people.

The small pool was nice and quite, just the right size to cool off. (But not big enough if you want to actually swim.)

Didn't try the restaurant. So cant tell you about it.
All in all it was a great experience and loved the fun atmosphere of SoBe.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Essex House? Share your experiences!