“Love this hotel!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Atlanta, Georgia
“Love this hotel!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was perfect location wise. The staff was friendly, helpful and accommodating. They even called to confirm all requests 2 days before our arrival. Rooms were decorated modernly and clean although hotel is an older hotel. The entrance and hotel lounge are amazing!! Noise from the clevelander and hotel resturant below can be heard as walls are thin but nothing ear plugs or a drink won't solve. Wish this hotel had a bigger pool but a plus is you can order food from clevelander while sitting poolside at the Essex! Location is just amazing walking distance to everything especially the beach which I could see from my room. You also have access to the all the patios and roof tops I'm the clevelander hotel! Doesn't get better than this I would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I chose the Essex House hotel largely due to location, and the hotel definitely ticked all those boxes for me, but it was the amazing staff who really won me over. I wanted an Art Deco hotel close to the beach and shopping, in the heart of the Art Deco district, and Essex House matched these criteria perfectly, as the hotel is a two minute walk from the beach and the Welcome Centre (which is where the Art Deco walking tours depart from, well worth the time and money), is within walking distance of the Collins Road and Lincoln Road shopping areas and close to all the nightlife too. The hotel is gorgeous, the rooms are clean and well presented, but it's the amazing service that wins prizes for this hotel. The front desk staff were AWESOME - welcoming, friendly, interested and helpful. Nothing seemed too much effort for them, from finding a pair of scissors for me, to charging my iPhone when my international adaptor failed! Most of all, they are quietly attentive - it was my birthday the day we checked in and, after a wonderful dinner at the on-site restaurant (where Jose's service was exemplary), we returned to the room to find a bottle of wine, a slice of scrumptious red velvet cake and a hand-written birthday greeting waiting. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Rochester Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here pre-cruise in October of 2012. We had a wonderful time-service was fabulous. We enjoyed the amenities of the Clevelander also. We could party at the Clevelander next door, but still enjoy a quiet night's sleep. The beautiful beach was a just across the street. This hotel was convenient to the bars, shops, beach and cruise port. We will be staying here again this year. Oh-I almost forgot the free happy hour drinks!!!!!! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

What a fantastic hotel. Great location, great staff. Only one block from the beach, clean, convenient to shops, restaurants and nightlife. The rooms are very clean. The front desk team make you feel welcome and go out of their way to help. Juan the bell captain is the best! Highly recommended hotel and I will definitely book my next stay in South Beach at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I decided to head to SoBe for the first time ever in honor of our 20th anniversary. I let the Essex House know this, and as a result, the Rock Star Concierge not only upgraded our room, but made sure there was a bottle of wine and chocolates for our first night! Couldn't have been better!

The King Suite is great! The bathroom is the size of my first apartment and the HUGE tub was refreshing after the long (probably 100 yard) walk back from the beach...and the bed was very comfortable!

IF there was one negative thing about the hotel... It has raised the bar for every trip we take from now on! Thanks to Brad and the rest of the team at the Essex House for making this a weekend to remember!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Beirut, Lebanon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

As the title says, this hotel is perfectly located , As it is the closest you can get to ocean drive without getting all the hustle and bustle that come with it.

At first we had an issue with the check in process where it was stated that I should check in 3 days later as per my reservation , but after checking the confirmation email from hotels.com, the issue was sorted ..... Kind of, since we had to settle for an accessible room which I suppose was probably the smallest room in the hotel and not so visually appealing.

But we have to admit that nothing went wrong in Essex house hotel and things went very smoothly during our stay and they even offer complimentary breakfast which was supposedly not included in the reservation , but it is nothing fancy , just the basics.

I will also state the same issue which I could find in all US hotels i've stayed in so far, THE USE OF PLASTIC CUPS,PLATES, AND CUTLERY , that is not good for nature, we noticed recycling campaigns in Florida and then the next thing you know everything they offer you in hotels is made of plastic.....!!!!! A bit of dish washing won't hurt after all.

All in all hotel was good, staff were very helpful and friendly and we were also offered complementary 50$ voucher to spend on food and beverage at the clevelander, which is the main night attraction in SOBE.I might consider staying here again on my next Miami visit, price/quality ratio is ok for this hotel and I could not see any better hotels on or around ocean drive , and yeah, Parking will cost you much in Miami, leave your car home.

Room Tip: Avoid room 201, bed and room size are not comfortable.....