“Awesome Boutique Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Columbia, South Carolina
“Awesome Boutique Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed at the Essex for 4 nights and it was excellent. The staff is very helpful. Nice complimentary happy hour (beer/wine/sushi) daily and continental breakfast of fruit, croissants, coffee etc every morning. Rooms are small but comfortable. My only complaint would be the bathrooms. They are VERY small and in need of upgrades.

Essex House is quiet and relaxing but offers you free access to the Clevelander next door which is loud and lots of fun if you want to drink, dance, grab a pizza, or enjoy the rooftop deck. I would reccomend this hotel and will certainly stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

After researching the pros and cons of the Essex house my girlfriend and I decided to stay at the hotel for a six day getaway to miami beach. Let me tell you that any nerves or doubts I had about this little gem were erased right when we walked in the door. The service (which in my eyes is more important than the room itself) was exceptional from the moment we walked in until it was time to go. Juliana from the front desk was wicked awesome all week you could easily see that she takes pride in her job at the Essex hotel. This is not to take away from the other workers of both the Essex house and the clevelander because they were also great.

Good location, clean, and comfortable would defiantly book this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed April 2013
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I cannot begin to express how happy I was to have chosen the Essex House for my birthday spot. Everything was impeccable from the Bell Hop to the Front desk staff. Concierge was aweseome - shouts out to Brad - the number one Rockstar Host/concierge in AMERICA! Brad catered to my every need and went beyond the call of duty to make my personal arrangements. I had no problem with credit card issues like some people have stated. I was able to check in my room earlier than the allotted time. I was able to even store my lugggage after checkout until my taxi arrived. The bonus was having access to the Clevelander Hotel and being treated like VIP by the staff. I was able to eat, drink, party and go back to the quietness of my King Deluxe Suite at the Essex. I will defintely book my next stay at the Essex when I return to Miami! You will not regret it!

Room Tip: I recommend the suite apartment. They are set apart from the hotel rooms more spacious and give grea...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Have stayed in a bunch of hotels in the South Beach area. The Essex House can't be beat for the price. I was pleased from the moment I arrived and was greeted by very pleasant staff at check in. I was able to access my room a few hours before check in time and was pleasantly surprised by it's large size and cleanliness. Hotel is quite but near all the action. I'll be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I strongly warn against give this hotel your credit card they have been misusing our credit card and we are still fighting with our bank about all the extra rooms which we should not have been charged for.... Horrible experience

Room Tip: Just avoid at all costs
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
EssexHouseTeam, Manager at Essex House, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Terri,

We are sorry to hear about your negative experience. We searched our records for all of October 2012 and could not find any reservations in your name.

Please contact us at reviews@clevelander.com with the dates of your stay and the name the reservation was under, so that we can investigate this matter for you immediately.

Essex House Team
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Essex house is in a great spot on Collins avenue which is close to south beach, shopping and lots of restaurants and bars. The rooms are small but comfortable and clean. The only negative is the air conditioning system is really old and really noisy which made it difficult to sleep. Other than that, I would recommend this hotel for a great stay!

• Stayed April 2013
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Essex House was a very nice place to stay.......nice rooms, very clean, great location, friendly and helpful staff. JJ was was especially gracious and helpful. We enjoyed our stay here, and will definetely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Essex House? Share your experiences!