“My New Getway Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 204 Hotels in Miami Beach
Alexandria, Virginia
“My New Getway Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Love the Essex from start to finish. I arrived early around 9:00 am and was expecting to drop my bags off and come back later at check-in time. Without asking the receptionist told me my room was ready--off to a great start. With that every hotel employee I came in contact with was extremely helpful and pleasant which made my stay totally stress free. The hotel lobby and bar area had a great art deco look and a relaxing vibe. My room was perfect, clean, and tastefully decorated--loved the huge flat screen TV. Yes, the bath room is small, but neat and clean. The bedding and pillows were very comfortable. I stayed in room (324) off Collins Ave and it was relatively quite. I read the reviews so I packed earplugs which helped as the Clevelander next door is definitely a party hotel. The Essex has the best happy hour I could find on Collins or Ocean (4 - 9 pm) that's awesome. Rogan (spelling?) was so friendly and welcoming and made a great Mojito ... I'll come back just to hang out at the bar. It's a great place to get away from all the noise and overcrowded bars on Ocean drive. Some side tips: I took the Airport Flyer Bus from the airport ($2.35)--exit the ground transportation level E Concourse. Departs every 30 mins and you can pay cash on the bus (exact change). The bus is a clean, safe express bus--the last stop drops you off at 16Th and Collins. Just walk 6 blocks down on Collins and you're at the hotel! Beats paying $30+ for a taxis. You can rent beach umbrella and chairs on the beach--cost me $22, kind-of pricey, but it was for the whole day (think 10 am - 5 pm) and I took full advantage. Also, something I wasn't aware of, but some of the bars on the beach automatically add a gratuity to your drink bill no matter the how much you order or the size of your party. Overall my trip and stay at the Essex was terrific and I'll definitely return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

From the time we checked-in to the time we checked-out the service was professional and courteous. The hotel rooms were clean and well worth the price. The location could not be beat; one block from Ocean Blvd and the beach, yet at night could not hear the crowds on the boulevard. Planning on returning in November and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
GuestRelationsRep, Guest Relations Manager at Essex House, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Thank you for a great review! We are delighted to know that you enjoy the new rooms and our friendly staff. We will look forward to see you soon!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

This place is a gem. Its clean its freindly, and a step away from the action on south beach. Will definatly be stayiing there again,

Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

A very nice room and excellent service. Perfect place to live the Deco District spirit. Surrounded by the best hotels. Good rates.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Glad you enjoyed both our location and exceptional service! We would be delighted to welcome you back soon!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

Not only am I going to book this hotel again. I would tell everyone about it. Just arrived from an amazing weekend getaway. And i must say everything was fabulous. The staff was great! Chris (night shift) Zan (afternoon) were amazing and extremely helpful. I would not think twice about letting everyone know about this hotel..

The only small problem we had, was two nights in a row we heard music, so loud that the bass was rattling our room. (i did not complain the first night thinking it was just a loud club) however on Day two i soon realized it was the security office blaring there music as if they were having there own party. As i checked out i did complain to the front desk, as they were extremely understanding, they assured me that they would speak with mgmt. Besides that, I loved the helpful courteous staff.

Room Tip: mums the word
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing us as your South Beach destination! I am very happy to hear that our team could make a difference in your stay. Chris and Zan will be thrilled with your feedback! Your concern was addressed with our Safety Department. We look forward to your return and hope to make your next vacation even more memorable!
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

This hotel is in a great location - a block away from the beach, great restaurants, bars, clubs and shopping. Lobby was nice, comfortable and spacious. They had covered outside seating as well. Pool was shady. They provided ice water and lemondade to guests throught the day to keep you refreshed as you go in and out of the hotel - nice touch. The staff were so upbeat, friendly and accomodating.

We had a double room (2 double beds), which accomodated 3 ladies. Not exactly spacious, but we managed. Sheets were crisp and clean and beds were your average firm bed. Towels were plentiful, large, and fluffy. The hotel provides beach towels as well, so you can save your packing space for more shoes, etc. Although there was only one computer in the lobby for guests to use the internet, there was never a wait for it. You can print out your boarding passes for free.

Bathroom is bare bones - pedestal sink, toilet and shower, but it is really all you need, right? The only major negative we had was that when anyone in the hotel flushed their toilet (this is the only logical explanation I could come up with), the shower water would change from your warm shower water to scalding hot, then freezing cold, back to warm. Watch out if you happen to have a sunburn, as the water change happens without warning (I did a lot of hop-skip-jumping around in the shower due to this). Others at the hotel complained of the same problem.

Overall, good location and good price for south beach.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
We are thrilled to hear about your wonderful stay here at the Essex House and glad you found our staff both accommodating and hospitable. Your feedback is very much appreciated and will assist us in further improving our facilities. It was a pleasure having you and we look forward to seeing you in the near future!.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011 via mobile

Hotel staff were friendly, rooms were clean, and we were close to everything! Definitely staying here again!

• Stayed May 2011
GuestRelationsRep, Guest Relations Manager at Essex House, responded to this review, May 23, 2011
Dear Guest,Thanks for staying with us!! We look forward to making your vacation even more memorable the second time around!

Been to Essex House? Share your experiences!