“Fab location, but lock up all your valuables!” 3 of 5 stars

Cavalier South Beach
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1320 Ocean Dr, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #177 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Fab location, but lock up all your valuables!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Excellent location, right on Ocean Drive. Rooms were comfortable, however don't expect a view of Ocean Drive unless ur in a suite. We loved South Beach so much, we extended our stay from 1 to 4 days in the Same hotel. We moved into the suite which has a wonderful view of Ocean Drive. Upgrading to a suite is highly recommended, it's not a big difference. Reception Staff is friendly and helpful with good info on which nightclubs are the best to go to and getting in. Big thumbs up to Noël and Marco from Front desk.

A full Absolut Vodka bottle which was lying on our table went missing! The odd thing is the room wasn't even cleaned that day and the bottle just " vanished" from our room. In all our travels to various places; throughout India, Europe, USA, Thailand, Singapore, etc. we haven't had to face such an incident. We informed the front desk who said Mr Jean Lawrence, Operations Manger would look into it. We had to check out early morning to leave for Orlando and were told Jean would mail us that day. On not hearing from him till the next day I mailed him, and got a reply saying he would look into the matter and get back to me the next day. Its been 3 months, I haven't heard from him, which is no surprise. We are just happy it was only a bottle of vodka and not anything valuable or dear to us (Like my Jimmy Choos!) that was stolen from our room. It's a good lesson to all travelers to ALWAYS lock your bags before leaving the room. No exceptions.
As a parting shot, id still say stay here for the fantastic location, just ensure u lock up all your stuff before u head out and don't leave anything out u would miss!

Room Tip: The best views are in the suite. It's totally worth the extra to upgrade. Interestingly , The up...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Claudia V, General Manager at Cavalier South Beach, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Hello and Thank You for taking the time to write a review on your stay here with us. I apologize for the missing bottle of Vodka that was in your room. The Hotel has new management and when you stayed here at the hotel we were not working here yet. I can guarantee you that something like that will not happen here on your next stay. Its always good to use the safe and lock up your belongings, however we do not tolerate theft and we have a staff that has been with us for over 10 years, we are very professional, loyal, and trustworthy and therefore we have never had any theft in any of our guest rooms. However, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us and we look forward to you coming back and enjoying our staff and our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Cavalier Hotel is reasonable and it is located right infront of the beach, South Beach. I stayed in this hotel due to being afraid that I will miss my cruise ship if I took a flight from LAX to FL airport (same day arrival). Since I have never been to Miami, I thought I should stay before my cruise and hang out with my lovely daughter by the beach. (This hotel is approximately 10-15minutes away from Port of Miami.) The best part about this hotel are the surroundings. It is located on the strip of all the other hotels, clubs, pubs, and restuarants. The beach is across the street so my daugther swam her heart out. I booked two nights, one for arrival and one for departure (To and from LAX-FL airport). I took the shuttle from Fort Lauderdale airport to Cavalier Hotel and vice versa going back. Now let's talk about the workers; the front desk was very very helpful, polite, and outstanding all except for one man! When I arrived to this hotel (with my daugther) I was so tired (red eye flight) I wanted to lay down and sleep but I took 2 hours trying to deal with the front desk and this man would not give me any room that is available unless I paid him $100. My check in time was not until 3:00pm but of course my flight was way too early and I had no choice but to stay in the hotel since we were so sleepy and even if we went out to look around the area, everything was closed! I asked the front desk if they were serving breakfast and he said, "not yet!" ...So mind you, I was very tired to argue so I just took the keys and settled my daugther to take a nap before we went out and about. The rooms are NOT modern! Don't expect the Ocean front view to be immaculate, because it's not. The bathrooms are clean. The first room I slept on was clean except the "front desk" placed me right next to the elevator which made it really hard to sleep because it was so LOUD! The elevator is also old school. It was a littel scary because of how it closes (think of Vintage Otis Scissors gate) the elevator will not go up or down if the gate is not closed (keep that in mind) The second night I spent in this hotel was a lot better due to the fact that I was placed inside the Ocean Front view room. Now this room can fit four people. I did not hear any elevators but I did hear a lot of laughing. The room is located right infront of the walk way street, so if you are looking for something quiet, this is not a good room to be in.
I hope this helps. I barely stayed in because my daugther and I were out shopping, swimming, and eating most of the time.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Claudia V, General Manager at Cavalier South Beach, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Hello and Thank You for taking the time to write a review on your stay here with us. We are a new management company that recently took over late February 2014. We apologize for any inconvenience you had here with us. We have changed the early checkin fee so if a guest comes in early and we have their room available, they can checkin in before 3pm with no problem and no extra fees. The elevator is antique and by law are unable to changed the structure of it considering the Cavalier Hotel is historic and one of the oldest properties on Ocean Drive.
Although you had some issues war are glad you were able to enjoy the rest of your stay here with us as well as the staff and we were accommodating. We hope you choose to stay with us again on your next visit to South Beach.
Whitby, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

My rating is based on two major issues....the main one is security. My husband and I were awoken around 1a.m. By someone that used their card to open our door and.....it worked. Had I not had the chain lock on
The door he would have come in. Now when he realized someone was
In the room he immediately closed the door. The second issue was the
Bed linens. When I pulled the sheets back on both beds I noticed the
Bottom sheet was extremely wrinkled, which in my opinion t was not a clean sheet...or....who ever cleans the room does not know how to make
A bed. The manger Jane was very apologetic and said they would check into it. She said there should have only been the two keys which we had.
She was very gracious and did give me a reduction on the room. The money however was not the issue as prices are reasonable given the location.
Would I return to this hotel? Not likely because of the security issue. It is a great location but would not recommend for longer than an overnight.
FYI.....if you have difficulty finding parking go to 16th and Collins. 5 floors
$16 for overnight and just a short walk to hotel. Some other place wanted $20 for two hours.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

After I booked this place, I noticed it was ranked about 160 out of 190 in Miami and began to wonder. I need not have.

Some of the negative comments are true but most way over the top - "Single cost in youth hostels in Albania are more comfortable than the old beds in this place", yeah, right. The mundane truth is that it is an ageing but perfectly OK hotel.

If you want all mod cons, there are plenty of alternatives in Miami - and they are priced accordingly. You go to somewhere like the Cavalier because you want good value in the best location, i.e. on Ocean Drive, right across the road from the beach, in the middle of the Art Deco district, where you can stumble out of bed for the sunrise. Otherwise there's not a lot of point in going here.

If I wanted to be picky, the shower temperatures leave little margin for error, the towels are pretty small and the attached (though unrelated) restaurant won't linger long in the memory. But I don't. I liked the Cavalier for its character, its location and the friendly staff and I have no problem recommending it to you.

Room Tip: Further back would be quieter - rooms face sideways out rather than onto Ocean Drive. That said, min...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Clearwater, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Single cots in youth hostels in Albania are more comfortable than the old beds in this place. This hotel needs a major upgrade. It's in a great location, but I would never stay here again. Aside from the fact that it is dirty and poorly appointed, there are no amenities. Throw in the fact that the hot water and a/c both went out during my stay.

Stayed January 2014
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We were completely disappointed in this hotel. It is badly in need of an upgrade- tiles were broken on the floor, the beds were creaky and the room had absolutely no character. It looked thrown together.

Then on our second day, the hot water went out in the morning, a fact we were not made aware of until late afternoon when we tried to shower. By the next morning it was still not fixed.

The staff was the only redeemable feature of the hotel- accommodating and helpful. Location can't be beat but that's little consolation to two days with no shower.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Guillermo O, General Manager at Cavalier South Beach, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Hello Molly,

Thank you for your feedback. Our goal is to provide the best service and we're happy to know that our staff was able to deliver that to you.

We are very sorry to learn that your experience was not the best, there was an unexpected issue with our water heater and the extend of repairs prevented from having a quick fix. It has now been taken care of.

We will also look into the other issues you have mentioned and work on them right away.

Once more I would like to apologize and thank you for your feedback.
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I chose this place because of the location to the beach as well as the price but let me tell you, this place is falling apart. The staff is lovely, but the place is old and dirty. Dirty. This place needs a huge renovation!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cavalier South Beach? Share your experiences!