“Meh.” 2 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1320 Ocean Dr, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #175 of 204 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Meh.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

While the location is fantastic and the service was great, the hotel itself left a lot to be desired. I'm not a stickler for state-of-the-art amenities, and I do appreciate the history of the buildings in the area, but if I had it to do over again, I would pay more for a nicer hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Lehigh Acres, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I am all for trying out new places but I won't be choosing the Cavalier again. It is close to the beach which is really nice, I will give it that. However, the rooms are small and dirty. Our room was all tile and the room was pretty dusty and there was even a big black hair on the bathroom wall, ick! I will pay more next time for something better. We were only there 8 hours so it was bearable. If you're only staying a night then go ahead and do it but I wouldn't stay for a getaway. The staff WAS very nice and accommodating so kudos to them but it is just an old hotel and could use a huge facelift.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

I was back down in South Beach and I lost no time thinking where I would stay, had a great experience last time and this time was no exception, the staff is so nice and accomodating. I did ask around and this is still the best option in pricing. I could tell some changes since last time I was there, It's good to see the improvements and the pretty Christmas decorations!

• Stayed December 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I have spent the weekend between 15-18 in South Beach and booked that hotel with 3 more friends.

The good fact is that there are 2 big beds and you may easily sleep with your buddies however if you decide to bring another company it depends on how your buddies will take it.

The price is much less than a lot of hotels in this area, once you step out from the hotel you are in the middle of Miami Beach and all night life!! . But the hotel is in quite bad condition. The bath tub was so dirty or it was it's own grey color.. The beds are noisy, you may easily hear your neighbours etc. If you are looking for a decent hotel to spend a few days as a couple THIS IS NOT YOUR HOTEL :) however it is quite interesting for a few friends who does not look for the comfort and intends to invest more in drinks than accommodation you may be interested in this hotel..

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Kelowna, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Location in South Beach and across the street from the beach was fine. Close to shopping. Budget rates.
1st room, the bed squeeked so bad we got them to move us. The place needs some major upgrading. Hallways very dingy. They have all the facilities to offer coffee in the morning but no one seemed inclined to put the pot on.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Camden, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Great location, good restaurant at the foot of the hotel, very helpful and understanding staff, HORRID accomodation.

Rooms are dingy, worse than a hostel, there was a noise like at an airport (woooooooooooosh indeedy!) in the room, the bed had caved in and squeeked so bad it can raise the dead and the bathroom needed to be gutted and built from scratch. The bed covers looked dirty and the pillows were very lumpy. Too bad you cant tell that the bed is caved in from the picture... when you lie down on your back facing the ceiling you are actually facing each other. I am glad we did not get bed bugs. This needs major reconstruction ASAP!

We have never stayed in a worst hotel anywhere in the world. This "hotel" is only good if you and 2-3 of your 20 year old friends are coming to Miami to be deadly drunk for the weekend. And in that case am sure you can still find a cheaper place to lay your hat.

Manager was great, so were Noel and Yariel at the front desk.

Avoid this hotel at all costs until they renovate it!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I chose the Cavalier Hotel based on the mediocre reviews on Trip Advisor which basically said it's not the nicest place but the price is right and the location is worth it. Well, after staying there for 2 nights I have to say, you could not pay me to stay at this hotel again.

The rooms are like prison cells. The lighting in the room is extremely dim. The floors felt like they had not been mopped in months. I was so skeeved, I refused to walk around barefoot. The bathroom was an abomination. So tiny you can barely turn around in it. The toilet would not flush unless you held the lever down for a while. Gross! The shower was filthy and the tiles were chipping. The sink was so small I could barely wash my face in it. The towels are such poor quality. They must be the same towels used in prisons. The bed made me feel gross. Oh and my boyfriend tripped on a part of the bed that was sticking out (but you couldnt see it) he cut his toe really bad and was bleeding.

This is the kind of hotel that takes away from the overall joy of a vacation.

Do not recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Guillermo O, General Manager at Cavalier South Beach, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for your comments and feedback on your recent stay. Your feedback is invaluable to us and we appreciate that you took time out of your day to share your experience. I would like to apologize for your experience and completely understand how these issues can affect your vacation. We will look into each of your concerns and address with each department head to ensure that items are resolved immediately. As we want to ensure that our guests stays are our number one priority. Thank you again for your feedback as it will help us improve our property.

Been to Cavalier South Beach? Share your experiences!