“It will do in a pinch” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #180 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Houston, Texas
“It will do in a pinch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Ok...the hotel is a total dump. We stayed one night here after a cruise because we couldnt get a flight back to Houston. Its funny it kinda reminds me of an old TV show where the police are finding their criminal in this type of hotel. The rooms are old, the plumbing is terrible. (Note if you flush the toilet while someone is showering you with burn them up so becareful).
With all that being said...there is a bar in the lobby, its right on Ocean Drive and its only $99.00 per night!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Aurora, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stopped at the Cavalier for some drinks and appetizers. The drinks were great and the Calamari was excellent, so we decided to go back the next night to have a steak dinner. WHAT A MISTAKE!!!! The host was wasted, they were having a slow night so had some teenage girl waiting tables. She had no personality. I tried the new york strip. It was AWEFULL , I complained to the owner. He offered for me to come back the next night and have a REAL steak. I was expecting a REAL steak the first time. I told him I didn't want to come back the next night and wanted my dissatisfaction resolved that night. He offered us free dessert. I didn't want dessert. I asked for a 20% discount off my bill. he said no!! he offered us $8.00 off the bill and that was final!! I said that was unacceptable, and he replied "too bad". I told him that I was going to report him to the better business bureau. He replied "go ahead, I don't care!!" How ignorant!! I would never ever give him my business again!! Don't give him your business!!! PLEASE

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Culebra, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I travel...and I have stayed at some bad hotels and hostels in many states throughout the US, but I've never seen/stayed at such nasty and dirty place in my life.

We arrived in South Beach around 9pm and during check in the girl behind the counter was doing her nails and gave us our room keys. When you walk into the hotel you go through the restaurant area then, up the stairs to the "hotel" front desk. She directed us to room 110 and told us that there was no sign with the room number in front of the door, so, we had to count.

When I opened the door I was in shock. The beds were made neatly, but the vinyl tiles on the floor were dirty and I don't think that the dirt would come off. We walked around in our flip flops. The furniture in the room is probably from 1960's and they do need to change them.

The bathroom was clean but the curtains and the towels were OLD and had all kinds of stains on them. We needed a 3rd towel and I went to the front desk to be greeted with "Speak Spanish please." I didn't mind since I can speak Spanish, but, what is I didn't speak? I asked her for the towel and she gave me a pink/run down/bleached out towel full of stains in it (I only noticed once I got to my room).

After the shower, when I pulled the covers off my bed, our sheets had old blood stains in them and there were particles of stuff between the sheet and the duvet and also, hair on our pillows. I shook it off and slept...I was exhausted. In the morning, I requested the front desk to please send the cleaning crew to our apartment and to please change our sheets due to the stains...and I even told the guy at the front desk that I believed that the cleaning crew didn't change the sheets from the previous guests. He guaranteed that he would make the request and apologized for the issue.

Well, at night, when I returned, I pulled the duvet cover to check on the sheets and they used the exact same sheets from the night before, that may have belonged to some other guests. I went to the front desk and requested that they give me clean sheets for our beds and...no luck.

So, remember, I have stayed in bad hotels and hostels, but this one is a purgatory and I don't recommend that you stay here. The price is right, and if you don't care about what I described on my review, then by all means book the room. But my experience was terrible and I will never stay at this place again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Palm Harbor, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Didnt stay here, but grabbed a quick lunch.
Beautiful view, friendly wait staff, average food with no real Miami flavor to make it stand out. Not bad, not good; about as special as a Denny's on Ocean Drive if you can imagine that.
The worst part is the waaaaay too loud music blaring out of the distortion-laden speakers impairing any ability to talk comfortably. I'm not an old dude who cant tolerate music at a higher decible, but can you take it down a notch just so I can chat with my lunch date please?

• Stayed November 2012
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

When i initially checked into my room (107) I thought the place was scruffy and wasnt clean but once jetlag wore off, I saw that the place was actually spotless and just needed a coat of paint. The shower pressure wias great and the bed was the most comfortable bed ever AND was king size! The location couldnt have been any better. It was right in the centre of the action, in between lots of great bars and restaurants and right across from the beach.
Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Room 107 was right at the back so there was no street noise however the bins were emptied in the mor...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Capitol Heights, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Hotel is really not as bad as people make it the rooms are pretty good it's the workers that's the problem. They're not friendly they talked bad about you in Spanish and they're lazy. When we got there they charged us a 100 dollar deposit even though I had already paid a deposit of the first nights stay. They should let ppl know this stuff up front. The elevator stop working while we were there and the ATM machine charge me but did not give me cash out of it. They told me I had to call my bank to complain about it. Overall the room was nice customer service needs to be worked on.

Room Tip: 3rd floor was quiet but the elevator didn't work
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

This hotel is a hot mess and please don't even eat the insulting food!!!!! The only positive experience about this hotel is that the location is great..Please don't waste your time or money here.The rooms are dirty . It's way enter hotels - to see..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Cavalier South Beach? Share your experiences!