“Over rated hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 19 Miami Beach B&B and Inns
Ajax, Canada
“Over rated hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel and was quite disappointed this was rated a 3 star. The room was somewhat clean but the laminated flooring had lost of scratches, discoloured in some areas and there is evidence of lifting. The bathroom had a small sink lower than the usual height and the vanity cabinet located above lend it's self to you striking your head if you are not careful. The hinges on the bathroom door are heavily rusted and the rust bleed into the tiles on the floor behind the door. The bedding is of cheap quality and the flannel blanket is suitable for a pet. On several occasions there were garbage bags in the hallways left unattended by the cleaning crew. I took several photographs of the room, in case I was blamed for the damage. The best thing about the hotel is the location, hotel lobby, front and rear patio area. I was not comfortable from the minute I walk in the room and would not recommend it to anyone of my friends or stay there again. This hotel should be rated 1.5 to 2 star at best.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

172 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Florissant, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Great location, just a block from the beach. Fantastic staff, both at the front desk and in the bar. I would recommend using the hotels valet parking service, they were fast and friendly. Even when we left something in the car, staff was sent immediately and the car was back in front of the lobby in less than 10 minutes (remember, this is South Beach, the valet lot may have been miles away) with no additional fees. Yes, the road is loud and the hotel is old, but it's very well maintained.

Word of warning though, everything is small. The room was clean, but consisted of a queen bed, a TV, one night stand, and a tiny bathroom, that's it. The bar is so tiny that a single row of people can fit between the stools and the wall. This is where the very sad continental breakfast is served (store bought Otis Spunkmeyer muffins). Great place if you're not intending on spending much time in you room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed just a night in the little hotel and we have (almost) nothing to complain about. We were in one of the renovated room with windows overlooking the main strip. Of course, as many hotels on Miami Beach, it is a bit noisy and old fashioned but very comfortable!
The room was very clean with wooden floors and simple furniture, a big mirror and a small TV. But you don't need a TV when you are on Miami Beach!
Location is perfect as we were there just for 2 days and wanted to have a proper night out, Ocean Drive and all the restaurants/bars are just around the corner as well as Mansion night club.
Hotel staff is friendly and helpful. We checked in early as our room was ready and no fee were added... we also asked for a late check out which we got at no extra charge either. Good times!
If we really want to be picky, we would say the shower could have a bit more pressure - especially when you have spent the day on the beach - and the breakfast is not massive but you can enjoy it in the hotel patio.
Good experience overall, would definitely recommend to anyone staying on Miami Beach for a couple of nights.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I was forced to find another hotel after the hotel I was staying at (Deauville Beach Resort on 67th) stopped providing all of their guests with RUNNING WATER!! When I called in and spoke to Marc at the front desk he assured me that they had an abundance of water and told me that he could work with me in checking in early (Since I had to leave my hotel and did not want to wait until 4pm to check in). When I got to South Beach Plaza - I was greeted warmly by Marc (the only person at the front desk at the time) and he even let us go to one of the available rooms and check it before we agreed to check in. I checked the rooms for cleanliness and if they had running water - they did. Rooms we booked were cozy - Marc even provided us with the same price that I saw through orbitz.com. We immediately checked in (EARLY and they did not charge us an extra fee for early check in). Staff was young and friendly and recommended quick lunch and dinner spots for us. ALL in ALL we loved the stay here even though we had just come from a five star place - the south beach plaza was a better place for us to spend our money. The hotel staff were friendly, the rooms were clean, the showers were the BEST, the location was incredible one short block from Ocean Drive (where all the action was).

I would highly recommend this hotel and again a big "thank you" to Marc who was the BEST!

I stayed here from October 28, 2012 - October 29, 2012 and plan on staying here again and again and again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bavaro, Dominican Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

nice hotel in a great position, rooms are ok not top class but comfortable, nice garden area to sit and relax but any one seems to be able to walk in at night and just take a seat. the position of the hotel is execellent minutes walk from the beach, bars, restaraunts and shops.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Lima, Peru
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Easy way to look as the cheapest option. They put a low price on websites an then you find that they charge you $12 dollars PER DAY as "hotel fee" (and also you must add the 13% sales tax + 3% county tax and the 3% state tax)
I asked what that fee was for and the answer was "Just the hotel fee, you can check on the confirmation of the website you purchased". and yes, it does say that they will charge you an extra fee that is not even settled.
That means they can overcharge you whatever they want as "hotel fee". I have been in better hotels with lower fee´s and they do publish the amount that will be charged and why.

The hotel was OK until I saw this. Not the best deal at all.

Lots of spiderwebs on the windows.

NOT COMING BACK

Room Tip: Very noisy street, not very thick windows.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Lower Keys, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

All we really need is a clean room. Our room looked like it was recently remodeled and we may have been the first to stay in it. Very Clean. They were busy and this is the off season. You can tell when a business is being actively managed or is on cruise control. The stock in this property is on it's way up. We will definitely give them another try.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to South Beach Plaza Villas? Share your experiences!