“Does the job” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #88 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Perth, Australia
“Does the job”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

From our welcome at the front desk we looked forward to our time in Miami.
Having coffee machine in the room and water was a nice suprise for USA. Free internet a bonus and cable tv. Breakfast was a nice inclusion but very average and you would think I had asked the lady serving to cook me a fresh omelette, not just for a tea bag.
Air con is annoying, cycling on and off very noisily every 3-5 minutes.
Look, it us nice for the price, but very very noisy and not just from the street, but residents returning at 4am and then the garbage then the cleaners

Room Tip: Ask for the back
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Jose P, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest,

Your feedback is much appreciated, and I am delighted that you enjoyed our free WiFi, in-room coffee machine, and complimentary breakfast. Thank you for writing, and please come again.

Avalon Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The front desk representatives were superior in every way! My first contact with the Avalon Hotel was with the night front desk rep who very politley helped me with parking my car in front of the hotel, despite the crowd of young people congregating in front. The room was just adequate with some renovation in the bath/shower/toilet room, with new floor tiles and a modernized sink. The biggest problem is the sound of footsteps I could hear above me from the floor above whenever the hotel guests would walk around the room. So, the best floor would be the top floor without anyone above. Must be the original old wood floors from the 1940s...In most hotels, you do not detect footsteps above. Very nice ammenity are the bottles of water you find in your room each morning. The bed was not very good, especially for longer than one or two nights. TV offered cable including HBO at no additional charge. Refrigerator/freezer (mini) was in the closet of my room and allowed my freezing my water bottles for cold water the next day. Breakfast was adequate, fresh cold hard boiled eggs, which are better than many places serving awful powdered omelettes and scambled eggs. Nice fresh fruit, dry cereal and hot cereal, yogurt, and sweet rolls/pastry, bread, bagels, bananas which were nice and ready to eat. I would certainly emphasize that the two front desk reps with whom I had multiple interactions certainly raised the overall rating to Average...I would have put "Good" but the rating jumps to Very Good and I hesitate to rate it as Very Good. Clean room, found no bugs and felt not any bugs. The noise from outside, due to the hotel being in the "heart" of the young generation's night life, can be quite annoying. Also, annyoing is the Window Unit Air Conditioner which cycles its fan/blower motor off and on cycling constantly every 2 or 3 minutes on and then 2 or 3 off. If you do not mind the noise of screaming and yelling outside and the sound of the garbage/trash trucks picking up the garbage at 5:00AM Saturday and Sunday morning, then I highly recommend this hotel. The antique Oldsmobile car from the 1940s or 50s sits right out in front of the Avalon to ensure you are nostalgically brought back to the 1940s, 50s, 60s of yesteryear. Since my first car I owned was an Oldsmobile, the antique Olds was shouting for me to be a guest of the Avalon Hotel.

Room Tip: Top floor is imperative for not hearing the sound of footsteps above. Also, get room in front, not...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

How satisfying to know that the vintage Olds called out to you, and that your stay with us was a pleasant one. Thank you for choosing The Avalon and for taking time to write. Hope to see you again.

Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

To summarize in a few words…..
We stayed at the Avalon for one night. We arrived after 16 hours flight and instead of getting a welcome greeting we have been reprimanded by the woman in the front desk why we came so early before check in time?
I don’t want even to mention the attitude we got when we asked for two hours late checkout.
The furniture in the room needs a serious update and there is a smell of mold in the air all over the place.
There are two things that were good, the hotel location and the complimentary breakfast.
Does not worth the rate they are charging.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for writing about your stay. Appreciate your good words about the location and breakfast; apologies for the elements that didn’t meet your expectations. We are looking into them and appreciate the feedback.

Munith, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I loved the location.Very small rooms but it was a great place to lay my head. We did not get a partial or ocean view because we wanted it to be quite when we slept. The breakfast was really great.The hotel front desk staff were really nice. Only person that was in a bad mood was the lady that stocked the breakfast. My two year old daughter spilled her water near the buffet and she started (complaining and swearing under her breath) little did she know that I understand Spanish and that it was my daughter. She realized her mistake once I picked my daughter up. Other than that I highly recommend this place. Use Valet it was very easy and the guys were great. But only use it if you don't need your car. Other wise go to 7th street parking garage. its a $1.00 an hour

Room Tip: Stay away from the beach views if you want a good nights sleep
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Your kind words about our location and front desk staff mean a lot, and I thank you for taking time to write. TripAdvisor readers will benefit from your advice about the parking option, so thanks for including that.

Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The best thing about this hotel was the front desk person who was very helpful with suggestions when we checked in. The room was basic, dated, but OK for one night. Bathroom small, no vanity space. We were surprised that the window kept out as much noise as it did and we slept better than expected. The problem with this "in the middle of everything" location is that not only was valet parking not an option because there was no place to pull up even once we got through the congestion on Ocean Drive, but the closest parking garage was full/closed. We were totally on our own for parking, ended up turning over our keys to a valet at a road side stand blocks away. Breakfast the next day was so odd -- we had early flights and arrived for breakfast a few minutes after it was supposed to start. The food was all set up and staff was there but it was dark in the room. We and other guests were literally bending down close to the food to figure out what we were looking at. I asked if they could turn up the lights and they did very slightly. We continued to have trouble seeing until the sun came up enough for window light.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Jose P, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

Our apologies about the low lighting you encountered during breakfast. We appreciate your feedback, and are reviewing that situation with the breakfast staff now. Thank you for taking time to write and please come and stay with us again.

Kilmarnock, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My friend and I booked here for part of our US vacation, we stayed 4 nights mid March and can't really fault the Avalon. Cost wise in comparison to other South Beach hotels, The Avalon was low-mid range, so our expectations weren't the highest. Our wish list was really only location, comfy beds & good shower - we planned to be out exploring lots so we didn't need a fancy hotel with all the swish facilities.

We picked the hotel for its location as it is very central for wandering around the buzzing Ocean Drive area and for getting on to the iconic South Beach. You are literally across the road from the beach, it was fabulous. The shopping on Collins Avenue on the street behind the hotel is also great , there's loads of known stores & also cute little beachy stores that you can pick up all the essentials for a day on South Beach.

The hotel staff are really a massive plus point - they are incredibly friendly, they offer you advice, hints & tips all to ensure you have a great time in miami & of course staying at the Avalon.

We had to wait until the 3pm checkin time for our room which was a slight disappointment but they did give us a free upgrade to a partial sea view room which was a nice touch. The room itself was really nice, kept in good order & a good size for the 2 of us. The shower worked great & we never had any issues with hot water supply. The housekeeping did a good job tidying up, changing the towels daily & replenishing the water minis.

The complimentary breakfast at the hotel (rare in US hotel I've found) was good enough to keep you going until lunch time. On offer during our stay was fruit juices, cereal, breads, pastries like croissants, mini muffins, boiled eggs, cold meats & cheese, fruits and of course condiments and tea/coffee. I took & enjoyed my breakfast every morning of our stay but it may get a little dull if you have a longer stay.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at The Avalon. I would return and I would recommend it to friends & family. There are many other hotels on South Beach that will out do The Avalon on glitz & glamour, I'm sure of that but value for money wise when you consider the extra touches from the staff at The Avalon, I know white I'd spend my money.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Jose P, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

It was really gratifying to receive your detailed comments, because clearly you are an experienced and thoughtful traveler. Many thanks for writing about all the things your enjoyed, and I will pass your kind words along to our exceptional front-desk staff. We all look forward to welcoming you again.

Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2015

Extremely friendly and attentive staff. Great (little pricey) restaurant. It is across the street from a great portion of south beach. We stayed in a partial view king room. It was quiet, clean, and well maintained. We found an online deal that gave us free parking, free daily breakfast, 2 free cocktails upon arrival, and $25 meal vouchers... This obviously enhances my view of the hotel. Beware of the area! Lots of homeless people lay around the street and many rough, drunk people due to the volume of dive bars in that area.

Room Tip: Corner room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Jose P, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your glowing comments about our terrific staff, fine accommodations, and superb central location across from the sand in South Beach. I’m glad you also had a chance to enjoy our on-site restaurant, A Fish Called Avalon. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Avalon Hotel

Been to Avalon Hotel? Share your experiences!