“Excellent Value for Money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Suites of Dorchester

Save Saved
You added Suites of Dorchester to your Saves list
Suites of Dorchester
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1850 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #116 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Panama City Beach, Florida
“Excellent Value for Money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We got this hotel on Priceline for $115 a night and I could not possibly have been more pleased with what we got for that price. The room was a good size, the staff was excellent, friendly and extremely kind and helpful. We were allowed to check in early, given a room with 2 beds on request even though they had us down for a king room (and they were sold out for the weekend). Yes the bathroom was showing signs of age, but the beds were clean and comfortable, and I loved the wood floors. The location was perfect, and it was lovely to have access to the private beach with complimentary chairs towels & umbrellas through their agreement with the Marseilles across the street. My kids loved the pool (it was rather warm due to being directly in the sun all day, but nice and big with plenty of chairs) and the floating bed in the courtyard. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Finnish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Let me just say that I would definitely stay here again.

South Beach hotels can be really old and this place has been renovated with new furniture & paint to look pretty nice even though the hotel bones (and things like fixtures, A/C, flooring, etc.) still look like they are from the 70's. The place grew on me because the rooms are HUGE -- actually they're 1 bedroom apartments -- with kitchens and this makes up for the somewhat tired surroundings. If you're staying with a small child like we were, the extra space is wonderful. We were able to have a babysitter sit in the living room in the evening while our baby slept in the bedroom.

The location is fabulous and access to the beach is across the street, but easy. Noise levels are low and the hotel is recessed from the street so there is also no traffic noise.

Finally, the price is great for what you get. This is ultimately what sold me and why I will come back. It's not the newest, fanciest hotel on the strip, but it's comfortable, clean and an amazing value for what you pay!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

The hotel is located very close to the beach, a 5min walk and you are on the beach. The rooms were clean and nice. The lighting in the rooms weren't too great, but that was fine since we were out most of the time. Staying here, we were given free vouchers to beach chairs and umbrellas while we visited the beach. This was great, especially when it's so hot. Free beach towels were provided when went to the beach. Our room had a kitchen with all the necessary kitchen wear.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Me and four friends decided to visit Miami after graduating. A friend had recommended The Dorchester and we followed suit. There is a main hotel area, then the suites. We had two suites booked. Two of my friends shared one, and myself and two other friends shared another. The suites were really lovely. Clean (cleaned every morning by the cleaners), really spacious living room area with a good interior, nice kitchen, and a smaller bathroom/bedroom. Out of the rooms, i didn't like the bathroom so much. The decor was a bit old, and the room was horribly ventilated - with only 1 little window.

The hotel had a decent bar and pool area. However, we didn't use this much as we would normally go to South Beach/Oceans Drive area. On arrival, the queue to check in was pretty long, they're reception could do with more staff/being bigger, but the staff were polite and helpful - no complaints there. There was a little concierge, and wi-fi was only avaliable in the reception area - not in the rooms.

We would normally eat at the hotel 'cafe' every morning (I wouldn't call it a restaurant, however, I think it was only open for breakfast/lunch anyway, not dinner) as we had a breakfast deal included when booking. It included a buffet style breakfast and it was ok. Nothing spectacular - but it did the job.

On arrival, you also get free bed vouchers for the beach, however, we never actually used these. This was silly as a bed and umbrella on the beach can come in really costly when bought from the beach people (or whatever they're called). The Dorchester section of the beach was quite far up and quiet. Which is fine if you prefer this, however, we wanted a more lively scenery - so we decided to walk further down the beach.

The Dorchester is situated on Collins Avenue, and is a pretty good location. You are not too far out, but far enough to be away from the South Beach lively life. First couple of days, we used to walk down to Oceans - it is probably a 20/30 minute walk, which in the humid, hot July weather is probably not the best move. We started getting taxis down to Oceans, which was only about $6, and split between us - it was like $1 dollar each. It could come in costly if you was solo though.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for couples, friends and family. We got a decent deal. Flights to/from London, 10day stay in The Dorchester, breakfast, all at around £1,300+.

All the cafes and restaurants on Oceans Drive will charge a lot more for food and drinks as it's the 'main' part. Check out restaurants on Collins or Washington, if you don't want to spend a lot on food everyday.

The Miami nightlife is expensive. As we were a group of girls, we were ok with general free entry into clubs, free drinks, etc but for guys - I can only imagine how much it might be. Talk to promoters walking around, but be cautious. Miami clubs are built around VIP/tables to be honest, so if you are going out - be prepared to spend big.

This was my second time visiting Miami, I had been before when really young with family. However, for a group of young girls to have fun, party but also relax - I would recommend The Dorchester.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

When you have to cancel your reservation 2 months in advance because a Hotel droops the ball; NO BUENO!
Made a reservation for 3 nights in March. I was quoted a total price and gave my credit card.
Called back a few day laters because I had not received an e-mail confirmation and upon my inquiry, I was told thet the quoted prices were incorrect and the they couldn't honor them.
Unfortunately, I had already made plans with my friends, bought my flight and taken money from all my friends and deposited into my credit card account.
They pretended to feel bad for the mistake and said that the manager Juan Velara would call me back to see what could be done. Guess what? Yup, I never received a call back.
Called again. They said Juan Velara would call again. Guess what again? Yup he never called back. I finally called reservations and canceled my reservations (funny how they were still active) then I asked for an e-mail confirmation and they had my wrong e-mail address! At this point i figured if they had dropped the ball 2 months before, I wasn't comfortable in seeing what they had in store for me! I am in the Hotel industry and customer service is always the number one priority, regardless if it's the Hotel's fault or not. Don't you forget that Mr. Juan Velara.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Priceline rated this hotel 2.5 star. Far from it. Bed had hair an bathroom was dirty. Bell boy refused to give me my car keys unless i gave him a $5 tip for doing nothing. Bottom line - dirty place and bad service.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Situated on the edge of the Art Deco area the Dorchester is within easy walking distance of Ocean Drive and the beach as well as nearby Lincoln Rd with its pedestrian district of shops and pavement restaurants. We stayed in one of the suites which are situated at the back of the hotel so relatively quiet. The apartment was very spacious with a small outside sitting area.
In the front of the hotel set back from Collins Ave is a pleasant courtyard area for relaxing/drinks /breakfast, with a reasonable sized swimming pool nearby. There is a Happy Hour everyday when a limited range of free drinks are available. The hotel also provides an umbrella and 2 chairs on the beach. Parking is expensive but that is true of the area generally.
The breakfast was average and the service poor mainly because one girl was expected to do virtually everything except the cooking! ( it was too much for one person.)
Overall we enjoyed our stay here and the location was good
BUT on checking out we signed and setled our bill in full, only for the hotel to take a further unauthorised charge from my credit card the next day after we had left!! I have emailed the hotel several times requesting details of this charge, but have failed to receive a response.
So Beware!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Suites of Dorchester? Share your experiences!