“Pool is freezing!!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Flamingo South Beach / Calico Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Miami Beach
Flamingo South Beach / Calico Apartments
You added Flamingo South Beach / Calico Apartments to your Saves list
1500 Bay Road, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (West Avenue)   |
Miami, Florida
“Pool is freezing!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

The place is nice and the views are gorgous. Overall is clean and mantain except for the pool. I was there last week and jumped in the pool and I got schoked and felt I was going to caught neumonia!!!! The pool was freezing, not cold, freezing!!!!

I have gone to similar places in the beach and their pools are at heat up at a comfortable level. I spoke to tenants that live there and several told me that they are upset because THE POOL IS ALWAYS COLD!!!

They charge thousands of dollars to stay there or live there and are so cheap to try to save dollars not heating up their pool. I was at the small pool overlooking the bay with the jacuzzi and several people always are there in the beach but NOBODY GOES INSIDE THE POOL BECAUSE IS SO COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PATHETIC. I DONT RECOMEND THIS PLACE.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
aurora, ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

My girl friends and I were in South Beach for my bachlorette party on Halloween weekend! We were refereed to WeOwnSouthbeach.com while we were looking for condos in South Beach. Ryan Atkin who is one of the owners was incredible to work with and he went above and beyond to make sure that we had the BEST experience in South Beach. He will provide you with everything you need from groceries, club hosting, parties, and tours to just name a few. Oh, and I almost forgot- he set us up in the most amazing PENTHOUSE we have ever been in. We stayed on the top floor corner penthouse in the south tower of the Flamingo! The south tower is the best tower because it is only for owners and it therefore has the best condos and amenities. The security in this resort (yes resort, you feel like you are at an all-inclusive vacation) is top notch. You need pass cards to swipe in at the hotel entrance, you then have to swipe into every tower and you also have to swipe in to even get on the elevator. We felt very safe during our stay.

OUR CONDO - THE CORNER PENTHOUSE
The condo was absolutley incredible. Over 1,500 sqft with two very large bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a full kitchen with bar, a very modern living room and family room including an amazing walk out balcony with the best views of Miami! Make sure you check out our pictures. The penthouse actually sleeps 12 people, it was amazing very large and very clean. Every room has huge flat screen plasma TV's and the bar is fully stocked (and no, not a mini bar. An actual full size wine bar! Amazing!!). There is also a full service kitchen complete with granite counter tops, bar, fridge, stove, sink and microwave. The windows in this place are huge and are in every room. The view from your bed when you wake up is absolutley incredible! This penthouse also has great views of the pool and skyline. Gorgeous to take pictures at night!!

THE RESORT
The resort is very large and very safe. Everyone is super friendly and is willing to help you out. Everyone also has a dog, it is basically a must if you live in any of these residences lol. The pools are huge and absolutley amazing! We actually only went to the beach once and opted to hang out by the pool instead. The views at the pool are incredible with a full view of the bay. There are also lounge chairs looking out at the bay and after 4pm people normally switch from sitting by the pool to lounging on the chairs looking out at the bay until sunset. The resort also has a full outdoor patio, sports bar, grocery store, liquor store, full gym, a spa, tanning salon, valet parking (for only $12). You actually do not need to EVER leave the resort. As the staff would say "It's the Flamingoooo of course we have it!" lol I would honestly consider living here full time!!! PS there are palm trees EVERYWHERE!!!

LOCATION: We actually preferred the location of this hotel over Collins Avenue. You have the best views of Miami and are right on the bay and port of Miami. The views are absolutley spectacular and you see the cruise ship departing and arriving every day. It is a few minute walk to Lincoln Road mall which is a huge outdoor mall and dining area. Counterpart to Fifth Avenue in New York, or Rodeo Drive in Los Angeles. Lincoln Road is a pedestrian mall between Alton Road and Washington Avenue. It has unique stores offer items not typically found in malls, and restaurants and cafés are common. Most restaurants offer either indoor or outdoor seating, including in the middle of the pedestrian mall area. And without question, the people watching on Lincoln Road can match any place in the world. Halloween on Lincoln Road was unreal! All of the streets were blocked off and thousands of people simply partied in the streets! We walked down Lincoln Rd. everyday and always saw something new or "interesting".
The walk to the main beach and ocean drive from the Flamingo is just over 15 minutes. Its a fun walk as you get to see different parts of south beach. We were however NOT impressed by beach at all. Does not compare to any of the beaches that any of us have been to, it simply looked like a beach called "Grand Bend" in Ontario Canada. Hence why we opted to hang out at the pool at the resort over this beach.

NIGHT LIFE
The girls and I went out every night. Ryan set us up with only the best and hottest clubs in Miami. We never had to wait in line, pay cover, or buy drinks. We were treated with the best VIP service. We went to the following:

1. MYNT: An amazing higher end club with the best DJ's in South Beach. We are from Toronto and this is by far the best music we have ever heard. We actually could not leave the club because the music was sooo good! Drinks are very expensive but that is a given in south beach. It has a reputation for the tightest door policy and most fabulous crowd. As the locals say "Mynt is for the famous and fabulous." It has a reputation as the
ultimate high-end, luxury-service nightspot. We hung out with Anderson Silva who is currently the UFC Middleweight Champion!! We also hung out with Actor Tom Sword and his friends from England. You may know Tom from the music video for "Love Drunk". He is also an actor for Disney and is the next big "thing" coming out of Hollywood with a few big movies coming out next year. I actually did not believe that he was an actor and we hung out with him simply because they were sooo nice. We googled him afterward and were shocked! Hope we can party with them again one day when we are in L.A.!!

2. LIV: We went to Liv on the Saturday night and they had an incredible Halloween Party. Everyone was dressed up sooo well and the best costumes were the Avatar costumes where people were completely naked and only wore the blue body paint! Liv is located at the Fontainebleau Hotel and it caters to a lot of celeberties. It is the "IT" place in Miami with over 18,000 sqft and it is DJ Tiesto's favorite place to party!! ;) Ryan got us into a private pre-party in the hotel's penthouse and we were later escorted to bypass a 3 hour line up and got into the club no line and no cover AGAIN of course! It was amazing! I would highly recommend this place. It also had very good music, however this would be the ultimate club if the DJ's from MYNT played here!

3. SET: This is a smaller high end club that mostly caters to people with booths. Again we got in no line and no cover on Halloween night (Oct 31) and it is right on Lincoln Rd. Mall. The club had a cool lounge vibe to it and we stayed there for part of the night. However, by the end of the night we made it back to MYNT as we were craving the best music in south beach. Got in no line and no cover again and had an amazing night!!!!!

All in all- this was by far the BEST 4 days we have ever spent on any vacation and it would have not been the same if we did not book with our hosts "We Own South Beach.com" !!!! They are absolutley incredible to work with and will completely take care of you and all of your hearts desires!! I would recommend them to all of my family and friends and we will definitely be REPEAT customers and hope to come back soon!!

Thanks again Ryan for hosting the BEST bachlorette weekend EVER!!!

XOXO
Kinga & the girls from Toronto!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Hoboken, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

I lived in the Flamingo for a year. The low quality fridge they provided us kept breaking and the maintenance were very slow about fixing it. There is a huge ant problem in all of the apartments even if you keep it spotless as I did. Further, the management staff is the most unprofessional staff I have ever had to deal with. They flat out lie to you about what you are getting and how much everything will be and won't tell you until you leave that that is the case. And instead of addressing it with you, they turn you in to collections right away. They are too scared to let you know you that they want more money from you before they turn you into collections...or they just don't care to deal with it since they know they lied to you. The place is in a good location and the apartments are big with nice views...however, if you want to sleep at all--don't count on it. The walls are very thin and it's a party place. The Flamingo is known as the "adult dorm rooms" around Miami. Additionally, people always broke the lights and exit signs in the hallway and they would never get fixed. The elevators were broken more than they were operational. There is always dog feces and dog pee in the hallways and elevators. In general, the management staff is absolutely terrible and the place although is nice and in a good location is very dirty loud and expensive for no reason.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

Now on my fourth condo in the flamingo in South Beach, I couldn't be happier with my choice. It is a happening place for 20-40 year olds who want to be where the party type individuals in SoBe live. Bartenders, waitresses, promoters, college students, young professionals, and internet entrepreneurs like myself habitat this "Adult Dormitory'. You can live here even if you don't fit that description, but be prepared for noise issues (buy a fan to alleviate this). Also, this is a dog heaven. If you are thinking of living in Brickell, just remember it isn't as much fun. Also, I recommend my good friend Elliot Machado as your real estate agent. There isn't a more likable and informed guy out there.

Here is his facebook page:

There are three towers (plus some other condos that I won't mention along bay road, and next to the parking garage), and none are legally allowed to be rented for less than one month. Thus I don't recommend staying here for less than that. Just stay somewhere on collins or ocean drive if you are vacationing.

The north tower is the least impressive, but also the cheapest. Condos are carpeted and normally don't come furnished. This is also the most party intensive tower.

The center tower is the newest tower with the best high up views. They have the nicest bathrooms, and on average are the nicest condos. Also, the balconies there are amazing.

The south tower is different in that the condos are owned by individual owners rather than AIMCO. So sometimes the owners pimp out their condos, and these condos are without a doubt the nicest in all of the flamingo. Currently I live in one, and other flamingo renters can't believe how nice it is. Obviously the nicer condos are pricier.

The pools here are cool with each having a bar. The north pool is the party pool with a live dj and tiki bar on the weekends. The south pool has cocktail waitresses however from The Local. This is the only restaurant at the Flamingo. It is more family oriented.

Good luck wherever you stay!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

I was referred to WeOwnSouthBeach.com through their partner company VIPnVEGAS.com. I live in L.A. and am constantly in Vegas and South Beach. I am Highly impressed with the way both Concierge Companies run! I booked my trip to South Beach from September 9-13. Everything was taken care of from the moment I landed at Miami International airport. Ryan Atkin is the owner of WeOwnSouthBeach and set my friends and I with limo transportation to our Complimentary Hospitality Suite at the Flamingo. The Flamingo is not a hotel and is actually a residential community with amazing amenities. We stayed as Guests Complimentary for being a Concierge Client. The perks were Incredible! We had emailed a staff member our grocery/alcohol list before we arrived...Our room was stocked when we arrived! The suite was huge! (Just over 1500sq ft) had 2 Bedrooms, 2 baths, really nice furniture, cool artwork and flat screen tvs. From Flamingo, we took advantage of the amazing connections WeOwnSouthBeach has. Everything we did was extremely organized and discounted. We went JetSkiing, Parasailing, chartered a boat for a day, went to a different club every night. (Club Liv and Mynt are my favorites) and were given expert recommendations to restaurants throughout South Beach. (The Forge, Devito, Texas de Brazil and Blue Door) Ryan was a phone call or text away anytime we needed suggestions on where to go, what to do and what sights to see. I would strongly suggest anyone needing a vacation to contact WeOwnSouthBeach when in Miami and VIPnVEGAS.com when going to Sin City! They really know how to treat their clients and set everything up so you don't have to wait in lines or try to find the hotspots yourself. I'm a satisfied client for life!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Doral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

I booked this trip with one of my partners last minute after being referred to weownsouthbeach.com. When making my reservations I was able to speak to Ryan Atkin, the owner of WOSB. He was extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the area and its best spots! After speaking with Ryan I felt comfortable moving forward with WOSB.

This was my first stay and my partners and I opted to renting a vehicle. After finding out the hard way about the $14 valet fee per night, I recommend taking a taxi everywhere. The restaurants and promotions (Spice of the Month) recommended by WOSB were great: Barton G, The Florida Room, Devito's, Sushi Samba, and my favorite recommended location Lincoln Road (multiple shoppes, and restaurants!).

The suit itself wa a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom witha full kitchen. For the price it definitely beat any top rated hotel in the area. The ammenities in the suite included: Nice flat screens, fast internet service, modern decorations. There are 2 pools, the North Tower Complex has whirl pools and a great private beach!

It was one of the best trips! Very relaxing, fun trip. I was recommended and I would highly suggest to anyone interested in visiting South Florida to stay at the Flamingo through weownsouthbeach.com.

Dorian Frank
dfrank@uscold.com

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

I would have gave them three stars to make it 'average', but average hotels don't allow robberies so easily. Honestly, it was a great experience. All they need is better security. How unlucky is it to get robbed at 1AM in the morning on the day of leaving Miami? Bunch of teens swimming at the pool at 1AM in the morning. Some hooligans come in the pool, whom seem to innocent at first and seem like just visitors from the hotel .. all of a sudden snatch our bags and run off. Over $1,000 worth of stuff owned by just only TEENS, gone just like that. Yeah, we're pretty dumb for swimming so late and bringing those bags in the first place, but the gate was easily broken in. The pool gate was easily entered. What's the point in both gates? If there are two gates for something, I would expect to be safe. FLAMINGO IS LUCKY THAT THESE WERE JUST SOME YOUNG ADULT HOOLIGANS AND NOT REAL ADULTS, otherwise something worse would have happened and then let's see if they would anything about their crap hotel now. They were even caught on camera and and their car, but the cameras were so crappy and useless, it doesn't even matter. Even one of the security guards stated how crappy their hotel was. I wish I knew this before choosing to stay here. I thought I would just let it go, but this time a condo itself was even robbed from one of the reviews below. That's just horrible. Get your hotel straight, Flamingo South Beach.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Flamingo South Beach / Calico Apartments? Share your experiences!