“Make sure your landlord has done all his paperwork” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Flamingo South Beach / Calico Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Miami Beach
Flamingo South Beach / Calico Apartments
Save Saved
You added Flamingo South Beach / Calico Apartments to your Saves list
1500 Bay Road, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (West Avenue)   |
London, United Kingdom
“Make sure your landlord has done all his paperwork”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed in the south tower of this hotel/condo complex which is privately owned and I get the feeling the owners shouldn't really be renting their apartments out. We booked through a company called Feel Miami who asked for a deposit but this turned out to be their introduction fee to the owner. They also referred to the apartments as Calico apartments which meant I couldn’t find them on Tripadviser. Our owner was prompt in replying but informed us that there was a 50 dollar resort fee and a 150 dollar fee for checking our character references. Neither of which were mentioned by Feel Miami. It took 10 days for him to get our resort passes and in the meantime we had to tell security we were friends of his and were just visiting (whilst showing our I.D) every time we wanted to get in which soon got a bit old. The complex itself is OK - there are 2 pools and a gym but the gym wasn’t part of our rental agreement. Suggest you are a dog lover as there are dogs everywhere and the grass in the middle of the 2 towers is used as their recreation area. The apartment was a studio which was big enough but the furniture was dated and tired and not all the electrical appliances were in working order. One good thing though was the high speed internet in the apartment which was both reliable and fast. Location is good - not far from Lincoln Road and Washington Avenue where all the shops and restaurants are.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
barbados
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

My family (6 adults and a baby) and I have just returned from a week at this apartment complex and have to say it was ideal. Even though there were 6 adults,our apartment was spacious, the two bathrooms make things easier and having spent previous vacations staying at hotels at South Beach, with their tiny bedrooms - this apartment was so much nicer than a hotel. It is just a 10 minute stroll to Lincoln Road, a 20 min easy walk to Ocean Drive. the pool was super - hardly anyone there. We didn't use the onsite bar but did use the well stocked shop. Security always checked people coming in and out. The apartment was lovely and clean, there were plenty of towels, sheets, blankets for the extra beds & travel cot and the kitchen had everything we needed. We booked through Home and Away .com and the owner, Flavio was nice and easy to deal with and was very patient with our late arrival due to traffic. The valet parking which is the only option if you have a car was $18 per night so must be budgeted for - but it was very convenient. I would recommend this apartment to anyone and will book it again myself when returning to South Beach

Room Tip: We booked through home and Away.com the owner was Flavio Landivar
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
cultv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

My business partner stayed at the Flamingo a few months ago and and said that the facilities were outstanding, but the apartment he stayed in was a little basic. After consulting with TA, I noted that a traveler raved about apartment 1058S in the south tower so I googled it and found a good deal for $3,000 for 30 days ($100 a night)

When I got in I was blown away. The photos of this place do not do it justice. It is the height of luxury in every way. High end appliances, lightning fast internet, HD cable with PVR and the place is huge! Then you get to the million dollar view of the bay from the living room and bedroom. If this was a hotel it would cost you more than $3,000 a night so I couldn't believe my luck paying that for a month.

The only negative I can think of is that it is about a 7-10 mins walk to the ocean, but there is a top class pool and made made beach on the complex as well as a David Barton gym, beach volleyball court, shops, gardens, sauna, spa, valet parking... The list goes on. I think the photos I took look better than those I saw on the hotpads website. but if you are staying in South Beach, this is the place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

I am so glad I didn't listen to the negative reviews of this place. This truly is an amazing property. Where else are you going to be able to have waterfront bay views with so many amazing amenities, located in the heart of South Beach for such a great price? Over 16 acres, very well landscaped, there's plenty of places to walk around and enjoy life itself. I particularly liked the Private beach and two pools and spas to choose from. Sometimes I wake up late and don't make it to the beach. The sun is shining over the building by noon time, which is great. I'm close to my shower and if I'm hungry, everyone delivers! Going to Lincoln Road is so easy because it's so close. There are lots of young people, very European and South American, but the crowd is mature... especially in the South Tower since they're individually owned. The Center tower is newer, and have huge balcony's with unobstructed views. I prefer to stay in the South Tower because it is less of a party crowd. Not to mention, it's home of the The Local-Panini Bar with great happy hour specials and food. The Spa is and dry cleaners is closer too. The hallways are usually cold, but coming from apartments in the neighborhood with mold, I prefer it this way. Why do I want to smell other peoples odors?!

The buildings on the premises are very secure. Security can get annoying, but in reality... you shouldn't have a problem if you have your pass on you. Or if you know the name of the owner of the unit, along with the unit number, and sometimes the owner's phone number helps. Otherwise, if you are a registered guest or tenant, everything is much easier. I stayed for three weeks, and they were kind enough to process a month lease for me in order to get registered. Ask for registration! If you're in the South Tower, it's great that they don't charge you a processing fee, nor do you have to meet with the condo board of association. I prefer the easy terms and flexibility rather than going through all the legalities and timely effort to get approved. It's away from all expressway, street noise, hardly ever hear any sirens or ambulances. Especially no trains, and interstates because they can be so annoying. My unit and the units around me were pretty quiet. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with listening to any garbage trucks around.

There's a convenient liquor store, deli & cafe which is very convenience, although slightly over-priced... but in an emergency, they even have toilet paper! I needed milk for my coffee, and I'm glad they're there! I don't have a car, so I'm grateful to have designated Taxi-Cabs just waiting outside for us. There's even Art Deco Bikes available for everyone too. I rather be on the WEST side of the beach, rather than ON the beach. The buildings there are older, have mold, and don't care to make them luxurious because they will always be blessed with revenue and tourism. It's too noisy there too. All those clubs can be there for when I go out, but I don't want to live near them.

I love Lincoln Road, and I think the Flamingo is the best building to live in if you like to wine & dine like I do. I'm looking into buying a unit now, I hope I can get a good deal. The HOAs are a little high, but you know what? It's all worth it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

The first thing that all bonafide vacationers need to know is: THE FLAMINGO TOWERS ARE NOT AND NEVER HAVE BEEN A HOTEL. It is a shame that this fact has not been made public and vacationers are being swindled by websites like Simple Miami Management into short vacation rentals that are illegal. In order to gain access to the property, you have to be literally sneaked in since the security at the gates are turning away short term rentals (less than 30 days), confiscating access cards because you are not on the picture, and other embarassing actions. Since all of these websites advertise for illegal vacation rentals, once you have paid whether you get to stay or not you lose your money. Also the rooms given are the whatever is available - more often than not - pretty bad with dirty carpets, non-functioning appliances, missing linens, kitchen utensils, etc. And forget about callilng maintenance or maid service - there is none for you since the south tower is a condominium and the staff will give you a very hard time if you let them know that you are staying only for a few days. Don't get your money stolen with a horrible experience like I had,

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011 via mobile

I have stayed at the Flamingo in the south tower a few years ago, and was impressed. So I decided to come back. This time I stayed in the north tower and never again. The other reviews are correct about the north tower. I am 38 years old and I was the oldest one around. I had my son with me. But it is more of a 20 something dorm. I wouldn't recommend for families. The condo we stayed at was decent. Rugs were totally stained though. There is only a washing machine, no clothes dryer. You do not have access to the gym. The websites like vrbo, and homeaway make this condo complex better than it is. You will have to pay 14 for parking everyday. That is if you can get through security. They are not suppose to rent out, so you are told to say that you are friends visiting. THAT WAS A BIG PAIN IN THE BUT EVERYTIME YOU COME BACK!!!! the condo complex itself is well maintained. The pools are great! Just make sure you don't ay a lot for your condo.

• Stayed July 2011
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

My brother lives at the Flamingo and since we were going to be in Miami for a week, we decided to spend the time there. We have a baby and we thought the pool was a must. My brother appartment is nice and we thought that all were the same. Much to our surprise the appartment was not up to par. We had an amazing view of the city (we were on the 14th floor, facing west) but that was it. The carpet was disgusting (they had to place rugs on top of the worse stains to hide them), there was no way of having coffee (no coffee maker and the electric kettle was broken.... someone, likely while drunk, decided to place it over the stove!). There were 3 forks and 6 spoons and 5 knifes (the appartment was for 4 people)... One bathroom was OK but the other was minute. Both outdated, and one of them without a working electric outlet.
We had only noise issues one night, the others it was pretty quiet.
We rented the condo through goflamingocondo.com and we did not have any issues with them, they were polite but I wish they had disclosed about the condition of the appartment. We were given magnetic keys that did not work (had to use my brother's extra one).
The pool was nice and had a nice view. There is plenty of shade. There is a small bar where you can get drinks and some sandwiches and like.
The condo is in a good location but be aware that the beach is on the other side of the island! There were always taxis at the front but you can walk around, pretty safe area. Very close to Lincoln Road, where many restaurants are open until late.
Parking was about $16/day but if you can find it, there is parking spots available outside (make sure you do park in the areas allowed, otherwise you will get a ticket).
Overall, I do not think I will go back there.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Flamingo South Beach / Calico Apartments? Share your experiences!