“Ehhh... not what I expected...” 3 of 5 stars

Majestic Hotel South Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   660 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #163 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Phillipsburg, New Jersey, United States
“Ehhh... not what I expected...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

After staying in South Beach a few times, this was definitely a disappointment... Woman at front desk came off very rude... Rooms were very small, beds were even smaller... It was semi clean... looks like the rooms were in the process of being re-done or re-done poorly... They didn't hold your bags like most hotels/motels do in the area, no beach towels or chairs... Also was suppose to have partial sea view... got a view of the side street & hotel across the street... nothing to brag about... The bath towels were ridiculously small... The food there was not bad... decent size portions & the price was average... Had dinner there, the surf & turf was amazing... too bad the rest of the Majestic wasn't as good... Next trip, we will be staying at The Beacon again... great hospitality & very friendly there... Lesson learned...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

The location was great, the room was ok for a right budgeted price, I'm not expecting a super clean and big rooms in any hotel in Ocean drive- so it's fine, not really that dissapointed, I just want to thank Chel ( front desk staff) for a very nice reception- she knows the meaning of costumer service- very approachiable, accomodating, and above all her warmth and genuine smile made me feel comfortable - she made my stay in Miami really memorable..God Bless-Gracias!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I was staying at this hotel with family for a long weekend. We wanted to stay on Ocean drive to be close to everything. The location was great, I would say probably the best area to be staying at on South Beach.
Now let me discuss the negatives:
The hotel itself is old and not well-maintained. The rooms are small, barely could fit 2 queen beds. The bathroom was so small that you couldn't even use the toilet in the normal directions, you had to sit (or rather squat) on the side. The pressure in the bathroom was horrible, I could barely wash the soap off my hair. Cleanliness was nothing outstanding either.
What I am most disappointed about was how the hotel manager lied to us and charged inappropriate amount. I booked an ocean view room online but when we checked in, our room was on the side of the building. We did not have any kind of ocean view, you had to hang out of the window in order to be able to look even in the direction of the ocean since it was on the other side of the building. When I went to talk to the staff, I was asked to come back later to talk to the manager. When I caught her, she told me she would look into our situation and asked me to come back later. During our next conversation she assured me that this issue happens on a regular basis due to inaccurate information on their booking website and that she would refund portion of the initial amount to cover the difference in the price of the room. Someone please explain that to me if this happens on a regular basis due to the issue in their system, why is that not corrected already? If I was not the first with the same issue, how can they let this happen to me as well? Our visit happened in April, 2014, but I am still waiting for my refund 3 months later, in July, 2014. I am afraid my refund will not ever arrive on my bank account....
Overall, I really loved the location of the hotel, but if I was to go to South Beach again I will choose another facility who respects their customers and keeps their promises towards them.

Room Tip: Don't pay the extra amount for ocean view since you won't be receiving it.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

This hotel is simply a nightmare and the staff offers zero hospitality. The manager Michelle was never present to handle complaints or major situations like the AC breaking down in 5 rooms or hot water being shut down for an afternoon (neither came with warning or sufficient explanation).

The first night my group of friends (4 total) checked in, Majestic put us in a room that was freshly painted and had a bathroom door that wouldn't close. We had to resort to threats in order to get moved to a different room. It is unacceptable for a hotel to place guests in a room with such strong fumes. We received confirmation from guests neighboring that terrible room that a crew had in fact been doing construction and renovation just hours before our arrival.

The next room we were placed in was sufficient for our purposes. We had little to complain about until the air conditioning stopped working. The hotel was unable to place us in another room that would accommodate four people. After two nights of mediocre stay, we gladly checked out and demanded a full refund for our troubles. Once again the manager was not present, but we were promised a full refund by the staff and had a receipt printed.

One day later, our credit card on file was charged for two nights which was never authorized by us. We are still disputing the charges.

Overall, this hotel is rundown and poorly managed. My advice is to find a hotel off of Ocean Drive that has better reviews. You will save a little money and avoid the crowds of tourists. The beach is accessible from nearly all of the hotels in South Beach.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself offers very basic accommodation. As this was our first time in Miami, the location was the most important factor of for us.
The staff on the hotel reception are okay. When I say okay, I mean we dealt with two people that were of any
assistance!
The staff in the restaurant really need to understand the concept of customer service. We were treated like an inconvenience. Simple requests were met with disapproving looks and the general nature of this place left us feeling uncomfortable and unwelcome. This went on throughout our entire stay and for this reason I wouldn't recommend anybody to stay here.
It is unacceptable to treat "guests" in this manner given the extortionate prices u are required to pay for a service than can only be described as awful!

• Stayed July 2014
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

The hotel itself is simply mediocre. It was outdated, but served its purpose. The kicker is...two weeks after I checked out, I noticed a charge for 60.00 on my bank statement. I called the hotel, and was advised by the hotel clerk that there was a towel stained with hair dye that could not come out. Be mindful that no one in our party had dyed hair, besides that the towels and washcloths were so hard and stiff, we had to purchase new towels from a convenient store. The hotel manager, Michelle Benson is a complete liar, and was of no assistance. Don’t stay here unless you want to be charged 60.00 for a dollar store towel!!!! P.S. next time I guess I’ll just steal the towel or throw it away!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Stayed here for a bud's Bachelor party. Shared a two double room and found it to be JUST enough space for us to get by without being on top of each other. As a New Yorker, I'm used to tight spaces and it was really totally fine by me.

This hotel has a restaurant living out of its main lobby, leaving little space for travelers to hang out with their luggage. The restaurant itself -- On Ocean 7 Cafe -- is the kind of place you wander into for a drink while you're on Ocean and nothing special. They do, however, have drinks "to go" in giant soup containers for about $15. Great deal for a strong drink.

Anyway, if you're in South Beach and you don't plan to spend a lot of time in bed or in your room, odds are you're there to take in all South Beach has to offer out in the sun! That's what made this hotel a solid choice for my group of friends - the location is among the very best you'll find. The best of SB is generally only steps away.

FWIW: my limited interactions with the front desk were quite pleasant and helpful. They let me borrow a towel for free after I checked out, trusting I would bring it back (I did).

Those complaining about cleanliness and service levels should probably find a high end boutique hotel like the Epic or even the W. Majestic was perfect for us.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Majestic Hotel South Beach? Share your experiences!