“Great service & location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Mutiny Hotel

You added The Mutiny Hotel to your Saves list
The Mutiny Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2951 South Bayshore Drive, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Special Offer
Fun in the Sun
Ranked #14 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Vancouver, Canada
“Great service & location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

On a recent trip to Miami, we were limited in hotel availability and the Mutiny was one of the few hotels available. Due to the mixed reviews on trip advisor I was expecting a lot less than what the Mutiny offered. The service from the front desk was very good, after check in they even called up to the room to check if everything was OK. The location is perfect, with a short walk into Coconut Grove, and the Coco Walk shopping complex. The room at Mutiny was large and more than we needed for a 1 night stay. The hotel is older, but the room we were in was well kept. The room was not absolutely spotless and showed a little wear and tear, but nothing seemed to be broken as some of the other reviewers suggest. We did not notice any problem with noise. We enjoyed our stay at the Mutiny and was hoping to stay again on our return to Miami, but it was unfortunately fully booked.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Tavernier, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

In 1983 I was a member of the Mutiny Club in Miami which was located at Miutiny Hotel At that time the club was the "IN" place in Miami.The club is no longer therel. I met my future wife at the club and we are still married. I have not been back to the Mutiny since then. My daughter, nephew and niece gave us a one night stay at the Mutiny to celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary. The weekend was perfect. Excellent service. They even placed rose petals on the bed in the shape of a heart. It is conveniently located so you can walk to the famous Coconut Grove area of Miami with its many restaurants and "funky" stores. The apartment was in excellent condition. It even had a washer and dryer as well as a fully stocked kitchen.

Room Tip: With east side facing rooms you can see Biscayne Bay.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I had to stay at the Mutiny for a week while on a business trip. I had come a month earlier for a one night stay to prepare for the job I had coming up in Miami and the Mutiny staff put me in a room on the third floor at the back of the building. There is a large parking garage on that end of the building and no view whatsoever. A car alarm went off every two hours all night so I was able to get almost no sleep. Realizing this would be very bad for a whole week of long days working, I requested at that time to be given a quieter room for my return trip. The staff at the desk said she would give me a room as high up as possible on the other side of the building.

On my return trip, I was given a room, again on the third floor, facing the pool which was very noisy. There was also a false fire alarm that night which required everyone to leave the building. Once again, very little sleep before a 12 hour work day.

The staff kept telling me they would get me into a better room but failed to do so. Each room offered was either dirtier or noisier. On the fifth day they moved me to a room that was over some giant generator for the pool system on the fifth floor so I slept with the windows shut tight all night, which is a shame in this beautiful weather. My view was of the parking lot and a bunch of old mattresses lying by the trash.

This has been my worst hotel experience ever.

Room Tip: Maybe if you bribe them with cash. Other people seem to have had a good experience.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We (My wife and I along with our 2 daughters, 14 and 6) stayed at the Mutiny from New Year's Eve through Friday, January 4th, 2012. I have to say that Trip Advisor kind of let me down on this one.

First off, the positive: the service at the Mutiny was excellent. We were greeted as we got out of our cab by the gentleman at the valet desk. He asked our name and then (presumably) passed it to the woman working at the check-in desk. She greeted us warmly, explained where to find the pool, restaurant, elevators, etc. Lastly, she made sure we had the 24 hour guest help number in case we needed something. We were off to a good start.

We were in room 205 on the 2nd floor on the right side (north) of the building, so our balcony looked out over the parking lot. We saw some other families with children on this floor, so maybe they try to put families together?

The suite was large - especially for Miami, and at one time, was probably nice. That time is long past, however.

What we ended up with was a room that was pretty noisy - what with conversations going in the car park and loud cars driving past about 10 feet from our balcony during the night.

In addition, there were lots of things that didn't work or were worn out. The stove had a knob that dangled oddly out of place (and hence a burner that wouldn't work). When my wife opened the nice cloth bag that the hairdryer comes in to get ready for dinner after a shower, the hairdryer came out in pieces.

It's clear that the Mutiny needs some repairs and upgrades to be worth the cost. They try hard, but miss countless important details.

Wobbly lamps, a broken bathroom faucet (they did send a nice maintenance guy to fix it promptly - but it never quite worked right), and a big dirty swath on the bedroom ceiling from the air conditioning vent come to mind. Oh, and little drips and blobs of paint on countertops and trim from a hasty paint job at some point.

I've stayed in hotel rooms that had these problems before, but that's the kind of condition I expect from a $79 room at a truckstop motel. I spent ~$275 per night for this stay.

Again, not to be mean-spirited... Melody at the front desk and everyone on the staff were professional and eager to please. I can't say enough about the people there.

Overall, next time I'm in Miami, I'll find another place. It'll cost a bit more, but I'll have the warm memories of the Mutiny's people to ease the pain.

Room Tip: You'll want to be on one of the upper floors to avoid street noise and hopefully get a view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stay at the Mutiny 4-5 weekends each winter/spring as a home base for our sailing activities on Biscayne Bay. Alway comfortable, friendly staff and short walk to the restaurants of Coconut Grove. We will be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is a great hotel to do business with from start to finish. I worked with a group of alumni on a mini-reunion to Florida and the group decided to stay at the Mutiniy Hotel. The alumni loved the hotel and the events that were hosted at the hotel. I worked with the staff on coordinating the room block and events at the hotel and the customer service was SUPERB! I work with a lot of hotel and restaurant vendors in my job coordinating reunion events and I do not use the adjective superb lightly. Anca Notchita in particular provided excellent customer service and all of the staff at the hotel and restuarant were great to work with.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel has VERY spacious rooms. Reasonable prices (we did book via a living social escape, though). VERY VERY helpful staff, especially Melody at the front desk. Parking is $25/day, but if you don't mind walking, you can park down in Coconut Grove for cheaper/free on the street.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mutiny Hotel? Share your experiences!