“No airport shuttle, pricey taxi to cruise terminal, nice staff” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Great Florida Savings!
Ranked #82 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Boston, MA
“No airport shuttle, pricey taxi to cruise terminal, nice staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here before a cruise because it was low points for a free stay. It does the job for low points-- but the location isn't great.

No hotel shuttle from airport ($37 taxi with tip), "wrong direction" from cruise terminal-- so pricier taxi than other hotels ($45 taxi before tip). Nothing much within walking distance to see -- although we could walk to some restaurants. Very loud planes all evening (should have expected that-- it's near the airport).

Friendly and helpful front desk staff and clean room. Hallways a little dank and dark. Loud garbage truck at 6am. Does the job for a free stay-- but the extra taxi costs might be more expensive than using more points or dollars at another hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Walter A, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Miami Airport West / Doral Area, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear WendyMW,
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for providing us with your invaluable feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the TownePlace Suites. I am sorry but due to staffing models our perticular hotel does not operate a shuttel service. I do apologize and would like to pass along my Thank you for your kind words regarding my team members.
Walter A.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Used Marriott reward points for 2 nights. Requested a crib and it was waiting upon our arrival...which is a big bonus for a later arrival with a 5 month baby. My son and I used the outdoor pool which was nice..more for him. Management went out of there way to ensure a great stay and they did. Only complaint was noisy neighbours, but can't do much about that...and really want to bad. We we'll be back before our flight home out of Miami.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Walter A, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Miami Airport West / Doral Area, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Mr. AnthonyG,
I wanted to take this opportunity to Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay here with us at the TownePlace Suites Miami Airport West. We look forward to your return.
Fremont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

I am a silver Marriott rewards member and stayed at this property for 7 nights while doing business in the Doral (Miami airport) area.

As a business traveler to the area, location and price are important to me. This hotel is proximal to companies I need to visit, the main freeways, many good restaurants and golf courses in the area. Prices are usually in the $125-$140 range which is comparable to other budget or extended stay hotels in the area. (AAA discounts reduce the price)

My single room was simple and clean with newer kitchen appliances and TV. Everything worked as it should. The housekeeping staff could use more training (trash left behind on a night stand one night, used hand towel not replaced), but the room was clean. The bed and pillows were comfortable, which is one of the most important things to me.

The breakfast area is on the smallish side and really only for a cup of coffee and bagel. But it is clean and the quality of the foods offered is good although limited. The continental breakfast is not important to me.

This not a fancy hotel, but is clean, comfortable, near where I need to work, and fits into my budget. That is why I give it a very good. When leaving, I met the general manager Mr. Akerman. Despite using canned responses on trip advisor, in person he was very nice and accommodating.

Room Tip: Rooms in the middle of the hallway are quieter than rooms at the end of the hallway. I like the sec...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear RJ Shibata,
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay with us. I hope that we may be of service to you in the future. We look forward to seeing you again.
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

As a Platinum member I've frequented many TP properties across NA, as well as other Marriott brands internationally. So the following observations are made both relative to OTHER TPs, and a little over a month of staying at this property.

First, the general clientele that stays here doesn't appear to be business management types. They seem to be largely tourists, visiting families or perhaps business, airline, etc people in for extending training courses for example. So, don't expect any Courtyard type business orientation from management, staff, or your fellow guests. At best they don't seem to "get" the business traveler, or more likely they could care less, since they keep all the rooms filled with the profile I mentioned above. (Note the canned template language the Manager uses to respond to each TripAdvisor review).

I don't think the property is quite as dreadful for a TP as some of the melodramatic reviews, but I would agree it tends to be a little poorly maintained, and over-priced for the product/service you actually get (but that seems to be the de facto "fleece the tourist" merchant orientation in Miami).

Several things they could dramatically improve if they cared to:

- Consistent room cleaning is spotty. One day its excellent, the next it appears someone extremely untrained spent maybe 10 min doing the linen and bath.

- Offer less cheap and fattening carbohydrates and sweets for the breakfast charge they build into the room cost. Most of the TP breakfast offering resemble this, but it's still incredibly unhealthy, and Marriott management owns some of this responsibility. Whatever corporate Marriott "chefs" designed the menu looked for the cheapest crap they could find in the American diet. Looks like something an over weight American teenager would inhale (which many are guests btw).

- Encourage the use of the stairs. It's green and it might even take some of the weight off the guests that are eating the crappy breakfast. Some signage near the elevators to encourage them to take stairs unless they have luggage, and occasionally cleaning the stairwells would be cheaper than repairing the overused elevators.

- The kitchen housewares in each room also varies widely from room to room. I realize it may be a function of the typical "guests" that stay there stealing the housewares, but it would seem Marriott would train their managers on how better control that.

Room Tip: Try to get accommodations in the main building, even though it's often congested due to breakfas...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Walter A, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Miami Airport West / Doral Area, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Mr. H.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to provide me with your invaluable feedback. I sincerely appreciate the information which you have provided us as this allows us to train and continue to improve the overall hotel experience. I am sorry for any inconvenience which we may have caused you and we look forward to seeing you again.
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We are Marriott customers and have NEVER stayed at a hotel like this one. When we arrived we had to look for the front desk staff and finally found someone chatting to another employee in the back room. It was 7 pm and our ROOM WAS NOT READY yet! The room was awful. The sheets didn't fit the bed, the carpet was dirty, the "kitchen" was equiped with 3 plates and 1 knife. The appliances were old and the cabinets were ready to fall apart. The hotel had paper thin walls and was very noisy. We were scheduled to stay two nights and checked out first thing in the morning. Please do yourself a favor and do not stay at this location.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Walter A, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Miami Airport West / Doral Area, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Mr. M.
thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to provide me with your invaluable feedback. This information allows me to back the direct guest comments to my team so as we may strive to improve the overall hotel experience. Please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience which we may have caused you.
Kiev
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

I am a loyal Marriott customer and have been for years. For work reasons, I had to stay in this hotel. It is THE absolute worst Marriott hotel facility I have stayed in over the last 25 years. The carpets are filthy, the appliances are extremely old-- the microwaved dangled precariously from the cupboard and it's dial did not function; we had to use our alarm clock timer to gauge how long we could keep something in it. Worst of all, our rates kept going up as the service declined; one night, a fuse blew and left our meal half cooked. Another night, we needed the receptionist to get the cleaning crews to make up our room (it was 8 pm and no one had shown up to clean) but she was nowhere to be found ( and she was the only one there!). Another night our key stopped functioning (one of several times) and no one could be found to let us in! The walls are paper thin, the air conditioning barely works, the so-called "breakfast" consists of green apples for fruit and bagels. The facility needs a complete remodel and renovation.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Walter A, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Miami Airport West / Doral Area, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear SaritaKiev, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to provide me with your invaluable feedback. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience which we may have caused you. I appreciate you letting us know so as we may continue to strive to improve the overall hotel experience.
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed here one night prior to a cruise out of Miami. This hotel is not too far from the airport or cruise terminal in terms of driving distance, but not walkable to anything. There were restaurants and shopping within a 5 minute drive from the hotel. We try to always stay at Marriott properties, but It has been a while since we've stayed at a TownPlace Suites and I don't think we'll be back to one anywhere. We were in the same building as the office, but be aware there are separate buildings. The hallways and elevator were dirty, they needed a good vacuuming. The room was smaller than we expected and only had a queen size bed. Apparently, all they have is queen size beds, so if you need a king, stay elsewhere. There was a nice kitchen area with fridge, oven/stove and sink. The bathroom was a separate room with sink, toilet, tub/shower. The bathroom was a little small, but adequate.
The free breakfast was weak at best and the room was super small, maybe room for a dozen people. We had cereal and quickly got out of there.
This hotel is good for a quick stay, but I wouldn't want to stay more than one night here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Walter A, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Miami Airport West / Doral Area, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Lithlith,
thank you for your invalualbe feedback regarding my hotel. We sincerely appreciate the comments and continue to work to strive to improve the overall hotel experience.

Been to TownePlace Suites Miami Airport West / Doral Area? Share your experiences!