“Mediocre TownePlace” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #81 of 129 Hotels in Miami
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Mediocre TownePlace”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

As a Platinum member I've frequented many TP properties across NA, as well as other Marriott brands internationally. So the following observations are made both relative to OTHER TPs, and a little over a month of staying at this property.

First, the general clientele that stays here doesn't appear to be business management types. They seem to be largely tourists, visiting families or perhaps business, airline, etc people in for extending training courses for example. So, don't expect any Courtyard type business orientation from management, staff, or your fellow guests. At best they don't seem to "get" the business traveler, or more likely they could care less, since they keep all the rooms filled with the profile I mentioned above. (Note the canned template language the Manager uses to respond to each TripAdvisor review).

I don't think the property is quite as dreadful for a TP as some of the melodramatic reviews, but I would agree it tends to be a little poorly maintained, and over-priced for the product/service you actually get (but that seems to be the de facto "fleece the tourist" merchant orientation in Miami).

Several things they could dramatically improve if they cared to:

- Consistent room cleaning is spotty. One day its excellent, the next it appears someone extremely untrained spent maybe 10 min doing the linen and bath.

- Offer less cheap and fattening carbohydrates and sweets for the breakfast charge they build into the room cost. Most of the TP breakfast offering resemble this, but it's still incredibly unhealthy, and Marriott management owns some of this responsibility. Whatever corporate Marriott "chefs" designed the menu looked for the cheapest crap they could find in the American diet. Looks like something an over weight American teenager would inhale (which many are guests btw).

- Encourage the use of the stairs. It's green and it might even take some of the weight off the guests that are eating the crappy breakfast. Some signage near the elevators to encourage them to take stairs unless they have luggage, and occasionally cleaning the stairwells would be cheaper than repairing the overused elevators.

- The kitchen housewares in each room also varies widely from room to room. I realize it may be a function of the typical "guests" that stay there stealing the housewares, but it would seem Marriott would train their managers on how better control that.

Room Tip: Try to get accommodations in the main building, even though it's often congested due to breakfas...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Walter A, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Miami Airport West / Doral Area, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Mr. H.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to provide me with your invaluable feedback. I sincerely appreciate the information which you have provided us as this allows us to train and continue to improve the overall hotel experience. I am sorry for any inconvenience which we may have caused you and we look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We are Marriott customers and have NEVER stayed at a hotel like this one. When we arrived we had to look for the front desk staff and finally found someone chatting to another employee in the back room. It was 7 pm and our ROOM WAS NOT READY yet! The room was awful. The sheets didn't fit the bed, the carpet was dirty, the "kitchen" was equiped with 3 plates and 1 knife. The appliances were old and the cabinets were ready to fall apart. The hotel had paper thin walls and was very noisy. We were scheduled to stay two nights and checked out first thing in the morning. Please do yourself a favor and do not stay at this location.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Walter A, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Miami Airport West / Doral Area, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Mr. M.
thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to provide me with your invaluable feedback. This information allows me to back the direct guest comments to my team so as we may strive to improve the overall hotel experience. Please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience which we may have caused you.
Kiev
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

I am a loyal Marriott customer and have been for years. For work reasons, I had to stay in this hotel. It is THE absolute worst Marriott hotel facility I have stayed in over the last 25 years. The carpets are filthy, the appliances are extremely old-- the microwaved dangled precariously from the cupboard and it's dial did not function; we had to use our alarm clock timer to gauge how long we could keep something in it. Worst of all, our rates kept going up as the service declined; one night, a fuse blew and left our meal half cooked. Another night, we needed the receptionist to get the cleaning crews to make up our room (it was 8 pm and no one had shown up to clean) but she was nowhere to be found ( and she was the only one there!). Another night our key stopped functioning (one of several times) and no one could be found to let us in! The walls are paper thin, the air conditioning barely works, the so-called "breakfast" consists of green apples for fruit and bagels. The facility needs a complete remodel and renovation.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Walter A, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Miami Airport West / Doral Area, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear SaritaKiev, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to provide me with your invaluable feedback. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience which we may have caused you. I appreciate you letting us know so as we may continue to strive to improve the overall hotel experience.
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed here one night prior to a cruise out of Miami. This hotel is not too far from the airport or cruise terminal in terms of driving distance, but not walkable to anything. There were restaurants and shopping within a 5 minute drive from the hotel. We try to always stay at Marriott properties, but It has been a while since we've stayed at a TownPlace Suites and I don't think we'll be back to one anywhere. We were in the same building as the office, but be aware there are separate buildings. The hallways and elevator were dirty, they needed a good vacuuming. The room was smaller than we expected and only had a queen size bed. Apparently, all they have is queen size beds, so if you need a king, stay elsewhere. There was a nice kitchen area with fridge, oven/stove and sink. The bathroom was a separate room with sink, toilet, tub/shower. The bathroom was a little small, but adequate.
The free breakfast was weak at best and the room was super small, maybe room for a dozen people. We had cereal and quickly got out of there.
This hotel is good for a quick stay, but I wouldn't want to stay more than one night here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Walter A, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Miami Airport West / Doral Area, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Lithlith,
thank you for your invalualbe feedback regarding my hotel. We sincerely appreciate the comments and continue to work to strive to improve the overall hotel experience.
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We needed a hotel near the airport for a business related stay with family. It was an excellent choice, everything was hassle-free and easy: check in very friendly and quick, free parking right in front of hotel, easy to unload the luggage, no long distances to walk or carry, free wifi, free coffee and tea 24 hrs and the free basic breakfast all let us feel at home quickly. The rooms/apartments were great with a kitchen, and enough room to feel comfortable, there is daily service. There are two big malls nearby and plenty of dining/take out options, they even deliver to your room. And very important: all employees were very friendly! We will certainly come back as we left with a good feeling! Excellent value!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Walter A, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Miami Airport West / Doral Area, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear George R.
I wanted to thank you on behalf of my team and myself for your kind words. We sincerely appreciate you staying with us and we look forward to your return.
Walter A.
NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I arrived at this location and was instantly worried about the quality my room was going to be.....I was booked here because I like to find the hotels with 'shopping packages' or 'extra points' offers to I had decided to give it a try. The desk cleark said they had 'no such code' in thier system to honor the shopping package I booked (free $25 gift card with stay) and I even showed her the reservation details page from the Marriott website AND my phone App.....she called a supervisor and the sup told her over the phone they would NOT HONOR the package! Hello - I booked it on the Marriott website, take your issue up with Corp & not me dummies! NOT a good way to treat any guest, much less a Platinum member!

So I hopped on my App and booked a Hilton property nearby who honored my shopping package! I must say I was relived to LEAVE the property without ever staying.....add the bad bookign experience to the overall nasty appearance of the property and I would NEVER EVER stay here!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Walter A, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Miami Airport West / Doral Area, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Hodels,
Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience which we caused you. I would like to thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to porvided me with this invaluable feedback. This will allow me to take the infromation back to my team so as we may continue to strive to improve the overall hotel experience.
Springfield, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

First the good news, the suite was a good size with a large work area, decent sized kitchen and bedroom. It was clean and in good condition except for the bed which had a dip in the middle I kept rolling into. There was a small pool that we didn't use. Continental breakfast was adequate. However, our reservation really got messed up. I specifically chose this hotel so I could get a two bedroom suite to sleep me, my husband and our two almost grown children (age 16 and 20). I made the reservation several weeks ahead of time, reserved with a credit card. I called several days before arrival and confirmed the reservation and notified the person I spoke to that we would arrive after11 pm because of a late flight. We arrived at 11:30 pm to find that there were no two bedroom suites available. The desk clerk tried to put us in a 1 bedroom but I told her there was no way my son and daughter could fit in sofa bed together. We went around and around and I tried to insist she give us two rooms. She ultimately gave us a 1 bedroom and a studio (which reeked of cigarette smoke) at the same price. By then it was midnight and I was exhausted. It worked out but that was not what should have happened and the staff should have offered a solution rather than me having to beg for one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Walter A, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Miami Airport West / Doral Area, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Ms. Susansings,
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for providing me with this invaluable feedback. Please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience which we may have caused you. If there is ever anything that we may be of assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel.

Been to TownePlace Suites Miami Airport West / Doral Area? Share your experiences!