“Fair place, with minor drawbacks” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Great Florida Savings!
Ranked #78 of 130 hotels in Miami
New York City, New York
“Fair place, with minor drawbacks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

The hotel has undergone significant renovations, which has helped improve its offering. The exterior still looks old and in need of updating. It's nice to have a kitchen, but it's not perfect. The rooms are close and you may hear your neighbors. The staff is very helpful and will do what they can to help you out.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Not that bad as I read, depend on the apartment you got. I changed the room twice, and I discovered that there are different types of apartments, so if you are unhappy with your room, try to change it, you'll be surprised. The clerks are helpful and polite, the hotel is close to the Dolphin Mall and Int'l Mall and not far away from the Airport, around 20 min. The cons: the cleaning is so and so, the breakfast is the same every day, the pool is tiny, the area is surrounded by warehouses...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

I booked the hotel using points. I needed the room for one night after returning from a cruise. When we arrived at the hotel the Front desk agent was nice, but before checking he system she told me that it's too early to check in, she then looked into her computer and said I a have a "nice suite for you". The agent was nice, but did not bother informing me about any of the hotel amenities or telling me about the area. The initial impression of the hall ways was terrible. They were very dark and smelly. When we arrived at the room, we were disappointed to see how dated the furniture and the appliances were. The sofa bed was not made and did not have any pillows. The TV was old and had a large cable box on top of it. During our stay the AC went out. When I asked the front desk agent to get it fixed, she said that the maintenance guy was around, but she does not know where he is, she'll try to contact him, but if she cannot find him he'll fix it tomorrow. I explained to her that I needed to sleep and that I am leaving at 3:00 am the next morning and I needed it fixed. After few minutes, the gentleman who was very nice came to the room and got the Ac fixed. it' disappointing that the gentleman did not speak a word of English but insisted on telling me what he was trying to do. At 3;00 am when I went down to the lobby area to get a luggage car I asked the lady working overnight if we can get the grab and go breakfast for my kids since we are leaving early. She said "O.K." but had no idea what I was asking talking about. I also observed some people sitting in the lobby using the computer and blasting some music, it looked like they were friends of the employees. Sadly I cannot think of anything good to say about this hotel and don't let the Airport in the name fool you. The hotel is a good 20 minutes away form the airport.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Clifton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

The studio had a kitchen, the bed were comfortable, and cleaned daily. It was enough for two people. We had a blast because we rented a car and drove everywhere. It was quiet, no one bothered us. Every morning I got a plastic bag to get the complimentary breakfast. The staff members were helpful as well.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Florida, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Every TownePlace (we learned the hard way) has their TVs to the sides of the bed and I mean SIDE. Attempts to move it are fruitless as the cable is too short. Even the living area TV is to the side of the couch. Who watches TV like this?
The rest of the place was dirty and smelly: Hallways on ground level and 2nd floor, elevator. Our one bedroom was no better: leftover peanut on floor, toilet handle broken, shower curtain chains off, refrig stuck out of the counter because it did not fit under the cabinet (must have been a sale they could not resist and were stupid enough not to measure for, or too lazy to trim the wood.)

Never again, not here not to any TownePlace.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I was on a car trip to Key West and wanted to spend a day at South Beach along the way. After reading many reviews for South Beach and Miami Beach hotels, I came to the conclusion anything affordable was run down, scary or had no parking. Considering I had a car and was a Marriott rewards member, my search turned to hotels further away. This hotel turned out to be a good choice for me. It is convenient to the Dolphin Expressway which goes directly to South Beach. It took me about 20 minutes to get from the hotel to South Beach. I had no problem parking at South Beach either Saturday evening or Sunday morning. Both days I parked at the end of South Pointe Drive which is steps from the beach. Back at TownePlace, parking wasn't a problem. The best part of my stay was the bed. It was awesome. The mattress was plush and the sheets felt high quality. I didn't spend a lot of time in the room so the kitchenette didn't matter. The bathroom was large and very clean. The television was an old 27 inch tube TV which was adequate while getting ready for bed. The remote was missing a battery but the desk clerk replaced it right away. There's a small-ish rectangular swimming pool which might be good to cool off but I didn't use it. Maybe I was lucky but the room was quiet and there were no cooking smells. Overall the room and property were clean, stylish and didn't seem worn or run down like other reviews state. I can see the hotel is meant for business people on extended stays but it worked for my needs, which was a place to sleep while I went to South Beach. I wouldn't make it a vacation destination, it's in a office/commercial area, but I'd stay there again for one or two nights.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Fredericton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011 via mobile

We stayed here after our cruise for 2 nights. The rooms are in very poor condition. Old decor and the appliances are very old as well. Our microwave oven did not work. The free breakfast is in the main lobby, not much bigger than a bedroom. The swimming pool was filthy. We will certainly not be going back.

• Stayed January 2011

Been to TownePlace Suites Miami Airport West / Doral Area? Share your experiences!