“Very good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #80 of 129 hotels in Miami
Augusta, West Virginia
“Very good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Me and my brother stayed here because of how close it was to Miami and Hollywood, Florida. Traffic getting in and out of the hotel was minimal and easy to navigate. This hotel didn't disappoint. The staff was very courteous and helped us in any way they could. I would definitely stay in this hotel again if I was traveling to this area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
hotelmanager8079, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Miami Lakes, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I will be sure to pass along your comments to our associates. It truly does improve our Guest interaction when they recevie such positive feedback.
If I can assist you in future reservations, please do not hesistate to contact the hotel directly.

Mike

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

My husband & I stayed here one before and back then it was very nice. So fast forward a few years later we decide to stay again its interior had been worn down some! The room was clean but it needed updating! The 2nd night the door wasn't working with the keys so we had to enter through the far side of the building which was inconvienent and a security hazard because we noticed that the guest propped the door open so they could get in and out and everybody else! Then the same night I get up in the night to use the bathroom and there's no power! So after stomping my toe a few times feeling my way to the bathroom I knock my babies' playpen and wake her up. So now I have a screaming baby no lights & about to pee on my damn self & no way to warm her milk to calm her down! Needless to say it was a long night!

• Stayed February 2012
hotelmanager8079, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Miami Lakes, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. I wanted to let you know that I am working on your concerns to address these problems.
I wanted to make you aware that with our scheduled upcoming renovation and new leadership at this property, we will have this property back to the way you remember it from your previous trip.
I look forward to you next stay and please feel free to ask for the General Manager next time you are in town.
Berlin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I booked this hotel, because the Miami area was where we would stay the longest during our three week road trip and my three teenage kids and I were bound to want some home-cooked meals and other comforts by the time we got to this place. I probably could not have made many worse choices:

The kitchen had a full set of appliances, including microwave, stove, oven, fridge, dishwasher and toaster, but they must have been bought at a junk yard before the Vietnam war. I was actually reluctant to use the stove for fear the rickety burner spirals would kick the boiling tea water on my feet. And then the household items! We had three sets of dinner- and flatware plus two pots, a pan, a can opener and a ladle, that's it. I asked the front desk every day to complete the sets for a family of FOUR, and each day we might get an additional mug or knife, but until the last day, we still had to eat in shifts.

We had the same problem with the linens, two towels were missing, a blanket, and sheets for the sleeper sofa. Again I requested them at the front desk and asked for a blanket that matched the serviceable comforter on the queen bed but I was told that no more than one of those was given out per room, I could only have the type of polyester blanket, that you can get for a dollar fifty at Woolworth and that smells like a boys locker room after the first use. In the end we had an additional blanket and a spare FITTED sheet but were still missing the flat one.

But the blanket - which at least on the first day still smelled better than the room itself - was the least of the problems with the sofa bed. The mattress was about two inches thin and essentially a square of springs in a polyester bag. You could count the metal rings with your naked eye, but to appreciate them fully, you just had to try sleeping on this contraption! After a night of feeling like a fakir, we decided to sleep on the floor instead.

The back pain darkened mood doesn't get any better in the mornings when the (shower-) water is hard enough to make your hair look and feel like straw, the breakfast consists of packaged muffins, cereal, yoghourt and weak coffee and the wifi is so slow that an internationally roaming smartphone shows you your email faster.

Was there anything positive about our stay? Maybe that the front desk was friendly and did try to help, no matter how incapable their housekeeping turned out to be - at least the clogged toilet was taken care of the day we reported it and the room was clean. And yes, there is an Einstein Bagel store directly across the street.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, make sure you don't have to sleep on the sofa bed and you don't in...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank You for writing your comments. This is a valuable tool that allows us to get better. I am sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your stay. I would love the opportunity to discuss with you further at your earliest convienence.
Please feel free to contact me at tps.miats.gm@marriott.com

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights, July 13th and 14th. The place was in desperate need of updating! Also, the ice maker in the refrigerator didn't work and it was leaking water in the kitchen area and onto the carpet. The mildew smell was so bad it was hard to stay in the room for very long. We asked to change rooms, but unfortunately they were sold out. Unless Marriott does something about this property we will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for addressing your concerns with us. I do apologize for the moisture and the carpet during your stay. Your feedback is very important to me.
In regards to your concerns during your stay I would welcome the opportunity to discuss with you. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience at tps.miats.gm@marriott.com.
Menomonie, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

The room was a surprise. Appliances were full size in the kitchenette, including the dishwasher. Even had a light on in the room waiting for us to enter. Air was even on, I know, surprising in a room in July in Florida, but it's true. The breakfast was grab and good but was just fine for us. Couldn't find a sheet for the pull out but worked through that.

Room Tip: Great rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Miami Lakes, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank You for your comments, I will share them with our associates.

Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

The rooms have a kitchenette super comfortable and clean pool is not to big but everything else is great

• Stayed May 2012
, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Miami Lakes, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to having you back on your next trip to Miami.

Best regards,
Alberta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We usually choose Towne Place Suites because of their affiliation with Marriott and (usually) predictable quality and service. However, this time we were a bit disappointed. Although our stay was OK, it was not as good as we have come to expect from this chain.

The property is a bit tired:
- When we went into the room, the carpet in the hallway was torn.
– The room was sweltering hot! It was 90 degrees outside and the air conditioner in the room was not working. So the room was probably 90 degrees - with the thermostat saying it was set at 63 degrees. We called the front desk and they sent someone up in about an hour. After that, we had to leave and go elsewhere until the air conditioning was fixed. It was just too hot in there. Thankfully the problem was remedied by the time we returned.
- When I picked up the phone to call front desk, the phone plunger was sticky. In other words, you had to wait for a minute for the plunger to come up before you could get a dial tone... a bit "yucky."
- We asked for a roll out cot for our room, which the staff were happy to provide. However, they brought it up after we had left the room, and did not bring any extra sheets or blankets with the cot. If you need more sheets, they will not bring them to you; you have to go to the front desk and get them yourself. (if you need a cot, ask for sheets and blankets right away, because when I went down late at night and they were all out of blankets. They told us to check in our closet but the closet did not have any more blankets, just sheets)

Not the end of the world... just a bit less than we have come to expect from this chain.

Then, (ha ha ha) we woke up at 4am because the alarm clock in the next room was going off! We called the front desk, and they confirmed the room was vacant. Obviously someone set it as a joke, but not very funny. I think cleaning staff should always make sure that alarms are not set when they prepare a room, so that vacant rooms don't have alarms blaring in the middle of the night.

On the flip side, the staff were quite friendly and did help us with directions to local restaurants and shopping. At least there was always a cheery voice on the other end of the phone. The property is very close to the freeway and is easy to get to. We did have a reservation glitch and the staff were very helpful, so kudos to the team who work there.

I think this property is due for a refresh. If you do stay here, you may want to ask to see the room before you actually pay. I think next time we will go down the road and try the other Towne Place Suites property at Doral.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your concerns and praises. It's great to hear that the hotel staff was friendly and helpful.
I will share your concerns with our team in an effort to improve our quaility.
I also wanted you to know that we have a renvoation scheduled this year that will address your your concerns about this property being "dated". As the renovation happens in stages, we have just finished installing new air conditioner units in our suites.
Again, thank you.

Best Regards,

Been to TownePlace Suites Miami Lakes? Share your experiences!