We usually choose Towne Place Suites because of their affiliation with Marriott and (usually) predictable quality and service. However, this time we were a bit disappointed. Although our stay was OK, it was not as good as we have come to expect from this chain.
The property is a bit tired:
- When we went into the room, the carpet in the hallway was torn.
– The room was sweltering hot! It was 90 degrees outside and the air conditioner in the room was not working. So the room was probably 90 degrees - with the thermostat saying it was set at 63 degrees. We called the front desk and they sent someone up in about an hour. After that, we had to leave and go elsewhere until the air conditioning was fixed. It was just too hot in there. Thankfully the problem was remedied by the time we returned.
- When I picked up the phone to call front desk, the phone plunger was sticky. In other words, you had to wait for a minute for the plunger to come up before you could get a dial tone... a bit "yucky."
- We asked for a roll out cot for our room, which the staff were happy to provide. However, they brought it up after we had left the room, and did not bring any extra sheets or blankets with the cot. If you need more sheets, they will not bring them to you; you have to go to the front desk and get them yourself. (if you need a cot, ask for sheets and blankets right away, because when I went down late at night and they were all out of blankets. They told us to check in our closet but the closet did not have any more blankets, just sheets)
Not the end of the world... just a bit less than we have come to expect from this chain.
Then, (ha ha ha) we woke up at 4am because the alarm clock in the next room was going off! We called the front desk, and they confirmed the room was vacant. Obviously someone set it as a joke, but not very funny. I think cleaning staff should always make sure that alarms are not set when they prepare a room, so that vacant rooms don't have alarms blaring in the middle of the night.
On the flip side, the staff were quite friendly and did help us with directions to local restaurants and shopping. At least there was always a cheery voice on the other end of the phone. The property is very close to the freeway and is easy to get to. We did have a reservation glitch and the staff were very helpful, so kudos to the team who work there.
I think this property is due for a refresh. If you do stay here, you may want to ask to see the room before you actually pay. I think next time we will go down the road and try the other Towne Place Suites property at Doral.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Marriott, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your TownePlace Suites Miami Lakes reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Towneplace Suites Miami Lakes Hotel Miami