“Regular customer, but...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 129 hotels in Miami
La Grande-Motte, France
“Regular customer, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have stayed many times at this hotel, and going back there at the end of this month. I like the proximity to the airport and since I usually have an early flight I find this practical. They also have a good shuttle service, room service and good wi fi. However, this time I considered switching because last time I stayed there in January, I was to take the first shuttle to the airport, breakfast was ready, I asked the gentelman at the counter if I could grab something quick like a bagel and he flatly refused saying that I had to wait 8 more mminutes. The problem was the first shuttle was leaving in 8 minutes and I had to take it but that was not his concern. I feel like it is a poor way to treat a customer. I have stayed at the Double Tree Hilton and if it was closer I would have switched, now I am definitely considering the Sofitel for the trip after this one.
I still rate the hotel as very good

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms that are not over the Air condition system
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
pksahora, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Miami Airport, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear karlexantoine, your past loyalty to our business is very much appreciated and therefore It pains us very much that the last visit failed to meet your expectation and the frustration we caused you. We have made some changes since you shared your concern with us and feel comfortable to state that we corrected your source of concern. I hope that the upcoming visit will be at the expected service level and that we can convince you to continue visiting our hotel. I would appreciate the opportunity to introduce myself during your upcoming visit. Wishing you safe journeys...............

643 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Sooke, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

After a wonderful cruise aboard the Carnival Breeze, we opted to spend an extra day in Miami before rushing home. We were lucky to win a bid on Priceline to stay at this hotel, which honestly was the hotel we wanted from the start.

We arrived at the hotel around 11:30am hoping to check-in early and spend a day relaxing around the hotel pool. Upon entrance to the hotel we were greeted by Jesus, the bellhop who had the most addicting smile and upbeat attitude, thrilled to offer us assistance with our luggage. Unfortunately the morning front desk staff member advised we couldn’t check-in as our room wasn’t quite ready but that we could check back an hour later. A little upset we turned to the door not sure what to do or if we should just sit and wait in the lobby. Jesus could tell we didn’t have the same smiles that we arrived with – in striking up a conversation he was happy to hold our luggage in security storage, suggested we could check out the flea market next door and even offered to let us in the Business Centre to pass a little time.

The Business Centre was well equipped with about 6 computer stations each with a comfortable chair to sit on, 2 printers, a wall map of Florida and a television playing the local news. The access to the internet and even printing was free! This was a big plus for us as we needed to check-in for our flight and print our boarding passes. Once we finished in the Business Centre, we headed to check out the local flea market being held next to the hotel property a very short walk away. The market was full of friendly people selling fresh fruit, vegetables, clothing, shoes, furniture, paintings, music, souvenirs, etc. From what we gathered, this market was only available on Sundays and most only spoke Spanish.

It was almost 1pm when we decided to check with the front desk again to see if we could check-in and head to the pool. Jesus was no longer around, nor was any other bellhops for that matter and Linda greeted us at the front desk this time. She seemed confused by our request to follow-up on the status of our room and after 10 minutes of trying to find our reservation advised us our room still wasn’t ready but offered to give us a key card granting us access to the pool area.

Not wanting to get our luggage from security to dig out our swimwear in the lobby area, we decided we would lounge around the pool and read our books instead. On our way to the pool, we came across the Fitness Room where we were pleasantly surprised by the top of the line, high tech fitness equipment supplied! They also offered small towels and a cold water cooler with little paper cups. If only we were staying more than one night, we would have made good use of this room!

We passed by his and her bathrooms before the door to the pool area. The pool was much smaller than photos online made it seem, but with only a couple patrons sun bathing, it was big enough. We sat along the pool’s edge and dipped our feet in to help cool off. The pool was unheated and clean. We noticed a large shelf of pool towels, plenty of loungers for sunbathing and 3 patio tents that each had a patio table set with 4 chairs. There was also an outdoor area for smokers on a lower patio area that was quite large. The pool area had nice upbeat music set on a repeat cycle, though you could hear the music from the flea market happening next door as well. We found a quiet spot to read and watch the market goers. I will mention there are no food or beverage services in the pool area – something we actually inquired about when we called the hotel prior to departure on our trip but no one seemed to be able to give us an answer. I ran inside to the gift shop of the hotel to grab a drink to share, 2 popsicles & 2 small bags of chips ($9). It wasn’t until later that we noticed some of the other patrons went to the lounge to get beer – again had we only known this in advance. The pool area is open until 10pm.

At 3pm we decided our room had to be ready by now and was happy when we were told by Divet that our room (Room 601) was finally available. We ordered a 4:30am wake-up call and confirmed the first shuttle to the airport was 5am. We will note that we were thrilled with the additional key card security access in the elevator – meaning only those with a room key on your floor could gain access. This doesn’t hold true for the 1st floor (lobby) or 2nd floor (pool / fitness access).

It wasn’t until the elevator arrived at the 6th floor that we noticed the hotel was undergoing renovations. Mostly touch-up work in the hallway and you could tell a few rooms on the pool side of the building were being worked on, but once we were in our room we only heard the crew twice before they went home.

We were pleasantly surprised by the new renovated look of the room. Very clean and modern. The colours and art was very tasteful, inspiring a relaxed environment. The room had the usual essentials – desk, alarm clock, coffee maker, coffee mugs, ice bucket, full length mirror, plenty of towels, closet safe, hangers, iron, ironing board and the Holy Bible. The shower had good water pressure and plenty of hot water. The shampoo, conditioner and soap by Templespa made the bathroom and my hair smell wonderful! The hair dryer worked perfectly with plenty of power. There was also the offer of additional essential toiletries if you forgot to bring your own including shaving cream, disposable razor, comb, toothbrush or toothpaste. The bed was king size with plenty of extra pillows – mattress had good support and provided a comfortable night sleep - a nice treat was the Sleep Tight kit that we found on our bed. This included Repose Aromatherapy Resting Cream, Quietude Calming Mist and AAAHHH! Soothing Foot Balm – all by Templespa. Sadly the view out the window was nothing wonderful to look at - just a parking lot full of cars, though you were able to see the odd airplane in the sky departing every so often. As for noise from the airport, it was barely noticeable even with the planes flying closer than we expected at times. We heard more noise coming from the hallway through the thin door – hopefully this improvement will be part of the renovation. We did attempt to connect to the free wifi from our room, though were unsuccessful due to lack of signal. Our room was as far away from the Lobby / Business Centre as possible, so we were thankful we stopped into the Business Centre earlier.

We decided to check out the renovated Buena Vista Lounge in the lobby for dinner as Café 950 wasn’t open quite yet, but we noticed they have the same dinner menu. We sat at a table with oversized armchairs for two near the front windows to watch new guests arriving. Our waiter Jorge was very friendly, even took the time to strike up a conversation even though the place was starting to fill with the dinner rush. I put my trust in Jorge to pick me out his favourite white wine and wasn’t disappointed. Jorge suggested my husband try the special mojito from the menu and he enjoyed it so much ordered a second. My husband and I shared a calamari appetizer – the sweet chilli sauce on the side was an amazing combination! For our main meal, my husband had a large bowl of pasta with a large number of good sized shrimp plus garlic bread. I enjoyed the Parmesiana Chicken that also came with spaghetti and garlic bread as your sides. Sadly we didn’t have the room to attempt a dessert we were so full, though Jorge did tempt us to take a piece of cheesecake back to our room. Overall, even with a good sized tip for Jorge and a huge thank you for making it memorable - dinner cost $90.

Our wake-up call came through on time and we were one of the first in the lobby to wait for shuttle service to Miami International Airport for the 5am shuttle. This seems to be a very popular time to catch planes with over 20 people waiting by the time they told us to head outside to the shuttles. After loading our luggage and securing a seat, we were told to get off sighting the shuttle we got on was for a particular group that stayed at the hotel and he had already taken our luggage off. I will note there was still available seating on this first shuttle so we were less than pleased to get on the second shuttle. The second shuttle was unsafely overloaded with every seat taken, leaving my husband and I plus 3 additional people standing with nothing but the wheelchair lift to hold onto for stability. The driver never buckled his seatbelt so we were left to listen to the alarm going off until the shuttle arrived at the airport.

Overall Reflection –

Positives – A huge thank you for the warm welcome and suggestion of the Flea Market from Jesus. We truly enjoyed our meal and service in the Buena Vista Lounge – Big kudos for Jorge for making it truly memorable. The amazing spa inspired sleep tight kit, shampoo, conditioner and soap by Templespa plus the offer of additional essential toiletries if you forgot to bring your own.

Negatives - We would warn people not to arrive early wishing to check-in – when they mean 3pm check-in that is exactly what is meant. Definitely management needs to review customer service techniques with front desk staff and road safety laws with shuttle staff.

Room Tip: If you get the opportunity request a room with a view of the pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
pksahora, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Miami Airport, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear IslandFoxyCouple, wow, what a detailed and informative review. Thank You very much for composing this and sharing it with all. I am certain many future travellers will find it very beneficial when planning their trip and looking into the hotel options at the Miami International Airport. Jesus and Jorge are very pleased that you highlighted and recognized their service. We are so happy that you liked the new guest room product and enjoyed the new in room guest amenities from TempleSpa. For the benefit of all my Business partners we have posted your review. As much as we try to accommodate early arriving customers, there will be times where we are unable to do so. We are sorry that we could not do so on the day of your arrival. As for your departure trip to the Airport, our shuttle drivers must attend a yearly Safe Driving Course as part of there employment conditions. We have shared your comments with the group.
Again, we are so very thankful for the provided feedback and wish you pleasant and exciting future journeys.......
Prince Albert, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Our travel agent booked this hotel for us for one night prior to a cruise sailing, and we were quite happy with it. It is very well located, being only a few minutes' shuttle ride from both the airport and the cruiseport; the shuttles were reliable and efficient in both directions (the airport one is included, the cruiseport one cost, I believe, about $10). They were just finishing renos when we were there in December, and the rooms are fresh and the beds VERY comfortable. Having flown all day due to delays, we ordered room service in the evening, and it was fast and very tasty (especially after a day of Delta peanuts!).
What interaction we did have with staff, we found to be excellent.
I'd happily recommend this hotel to anyone needing a good, easy stop in the Miami airport area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
DearSkiwithjill, your kind evaluation of our hotel and our service performance is greatly appreciated. We are grateful that you made time to post it for others to read and assist in their search for comfortable place when coming to Miami.
Again, Thank You, for your business and the informative evaluation, wishing you many pleasant journeys..................
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I booked this hotel for an overnight stay while transiting through Miami. It is a very short drive from the MIA aiport.. Rooms are spacious, were just remodeled and staff is very pleasant.. I have stayed in many hotels around the Mia airport and this is my favorite.. The only drawback was they shut down the guest laundry ..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
pksahora, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Miami Airport, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear djalmabritto, we are very pleased to read your review of your recent stay with us. Thank You for sharing the information and your impressions.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future, until then Bon Voyage........
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We booked this hotel for an overnight stay while transitting through Miami for an onward flight.

The shuttle was outside as we arrived, the hotel is a very quick 10 minute drive from the airport, check in was quick and attentive. Our room was clean & comfortable and we were able to walk across the street for something to eat before an early night.

We slept well and left on the 7am shuttle back to the airport the next morning. We didn't eat breakfast here so can't comment on that aspect.

We would stay here again if we were transitting overnight.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ericab, we are pleased to read that your brief stay with us was an enjoyable one. Thank You for taking time to write this review and post it for the benefit of others.
Best wishes for many enjoyable trips, from all of us here at the Crowne Plaza Miami International Airport.
cu-later67
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We were promptly picked up at the airport by the free shuttle and delivered to the hotel. Hotel was clean clean clean. Room and bathroom were large and well lighted. Lounge had a nice variety of "bar food" as well as a full menu. Will stay again. Staff was very good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
pksahora, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Miami Airport, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear cu-later67, we enjoyed reading your feedback and would like to Thank You for taking time to post it. Wishing you pleasant and safe journeys.........
Medellin, Colombia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The hotel has an special desk to attend disable people in wheelchair, nobody attend there nevertheless you wait there and ask to be attended.

the room was in the 6th floor, too noisy because the air conditioned system.

Room Tip: Not in the 6th floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
pksahora, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Miami Airport, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Juan M, your experience with inattentive Front desk service is simple inexcusable. My personal apologies for this total lack of service. The department head in charge of this area is aware of your feedback and is promising corrective actions.
Thank You for your visit, I am sorry it was not as expected. May your future journeys be more pleasant............

Been to Crowne Plaza Miami Airport? Share your experiences!